Notice to Our Patients Regarding a Stolen Briefcase. Learn More
Squamous Cell Carcinoma Treatment Information for Residents of Tampa, FL
Comprehensive squamous cell carcinoma treatment is available at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, Florida. The second most common type of skin cancer, squamous cell carcinoma occurs in the squamous cells – the cells found in the top layers of the skin. This form of skin cancer commonly develops in areas of the body that receive the most sun exposure, such as the face, lips, ears, neck, arms and hands. In less common cases, squamous cell carcinomas may develop in the mouth or on the genitals.
For some individuals, the entire carcinoma can be removed with a scalpel or other tool during a diagnostic biopsy – the test used to determine whether a growth is malignant. For those with carcinomas that have grown into deeper layers of the skin or have spread to nearby tissues, additional treatment may be required. At Moffitt, commonly used treatments for squamous cell carcinoma include:
- Surgery – Cancerous cells are removed using tools like a scalpel, blade or curette. Surrounding tissues or nearby lymph nodes may also be removed, if necessary.
- Dermabrasion – The top layer of skin is rubbed away using abrasive particles.
- Topical chemotherapy – Medications are applied to the skin to destroy cancer cells.
- Radiation therapy – Cancerous cells are exposed to powerful beams of radiation.
- Photodynamic therapy – Chemicals and special lights are used together to kill cancerous cells.
Additionally, patients who are traveling to Moffitt in Tampa, FL, from other areas of the state or country for squamous cell carcinoma treatment are encouraged to take advantage of the reduced rates offered by our partner hotels. Not only are these hotels committed to providing a friendly atmosphere for patients and their families, they also meet our stringent standards for hygiene, so our patients can relax and recover in a comfortable setting when they are not receiving treatment.
To learn more about the squamous cell carcinoma treatment options available at Moffitt in Tampa, FL, call 1-888-663-3488 or complete a new patient registration form online. A referral is not necessary to schedule a consultation.