Moffitt Cancer Center's accredited Radiation Oncology Program is a collaborative effort of expert radiation oncologists, nursing specialists, medical physicists, dosimetrists, radiation therapists and supportive care professionals. Moffitt’s multi-disciplinary approach leverages physicians specializing in every area of oncology working cohesively in a single practice to create personalized treatment plans. When appropriate, patients can be seen in a single visit by radiation oncologists and other specialists such as surgeons or medical oncologists.
The Department of Radiation Oncology at Moffitt Cancer Center has an institutionally aligned strategic mission known as the "Future of Radiation Therapy" (FORT) that sets a framework to become a national and international leader in the next oncologic revolution. This bold and novel mission brings together the collective strengths of the Department of Radiation Oncology with several essential clinical and research programs at Moffitt. The essential multi-faceted elements of FORT include genomics, radiomics, mathematics, physics, machine learning, patient-reported outcomes, liquid biopsies, immunology, and data analytics. Each element, alone but most powerfully in combination, holds the promise to allow radiation oncologists to optimize, and biologically and dynamically adapt radiation therapy treatment planning and delivery. We are implementing these in various clinical situations such as primary/definitive radiation therapy (alone or with chemotherapy), pre-operative radiation therapy, postoperative radiation therapy, adaptive radiation therapy, and immune-modulating radiation therapy. Moffitt offers patients access to an extensive portfolio of clinical trials incorporating FORT as well as other approaches including combination radiation and immunotherapy.
Our Radiation Oncology Department is outfitted with the full spectrum of the most advanced technology allowing physicians to select the device(s) most advantageous for each patient’s specific needs. Our equipment meets or exceeds the quality assurance and safety and efficacy guidelines established by the American College of Radiology’s Accreditation Program, ensuring an optimal experience for each patient.
At Moffitt, we understand that it's the team, not just the technology, that equates to superior treatment. Each of our team members has a dedicated field of focus, allowing us to select the treatments and technologies that offer the most promise for every patient’s unique diagnosis. This individualized approach helps us improve outcomes, limit side effects, enhance the quality of life and achieve exceptional patient satisfaction rates.
Services available through Moffitt's Radiation Oncology Program include:
- Linear Accelerator (Linac) based radiation therapy utilizing volumetric arc (VMAT), intensity modulation (IMRT), motion management techniques, image guidance (IGRT) and/or surface guidance (SGRT).
- MRI-Linac Based Radiation Therapy: MRI imaging integrated with a linear accelerator enabling gated and adaptive beam delivery to high doses with unprecedented accuracy
- Adaptive Radiotherapy: Adaptation of daily treatment based upon daily anatomical set-up
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery: Highly precise technique allowing for entire dose to be delivered in 1 – 5 treatments
- Brachytherapy: Dedicated team utilizes implanted radiation to treat a range of anatomic sites including prostate, gynecological, breast, sarcoma, and skin cancers
- Intraoperative Brachytherapy: Brachytherapy delivered at time of surgical resection
- Radioembolization: A form of brachytherapy used to treat liver cancers.
- Radiopharmaceuticals (including Xofigo)
- Total body irradiation (TBI)
- Total skin electron therapy (TSET)
- Multi-modality simulations: Radiation Therapy planning based upon registration of CT, MRI, PET and/or 4D image sets to provide most accurate delineation of tumor and surrounding structures.
- Monte Carlo-based Dosimetry: The most accurate algorithm to calculate radiation doses allowing for optimal beam configuration
- Pathology services
- Nutrition consults
To refer a patient to Moffitt's Radiation Oncology Program, complete our online form or contact a physician liaison for assistance or support. We respond to most online referrals on the same business day in which they are received, helping to shorten referral times and give patients prompt access to life-changing treatment.