Cash, Stock or Other Assets

Cash, Stock, Assets Moffitt Foundation

Through your generous investment in Moffitt Cancer Center, you are helping to accelerate scientific advances that will translate into life-saving breakthroughs and impact the health and lives of countless cancer patients for generations to come. When giving to Moffitt, you may designate your gift toward the greatest area of need, specific research, a particular program, or as a tribute for a certain department or caregiver. Regardless of how you choose to donate, you can rest assured knowing that your donation is being used to help thousands of cancer patients and their families treated at Moffitt each year.

Gifts of cash or cash equivalents

Donations can be made outright in a single installment or as a pledge to be fulfilled over a period of one to five years. A cash gift may entitle you to a charitable deduction of up to 50 percent of your adjusted gross income annually with a carry-over provision of up to five years should the value of your gift exceed 50 percent of your adjusted gross income. 

Gifts of appreciated securities (stocks, bonds, and mutual funds)

Donating appreciated securities such as stocks, bonds, and mutual funds held more than one year is a great way to support cancer research at Moffitt and receive added tax benefits, including: 

  • A charitable contribution deduction based on the full fair market value of the securities
  • Avoidance of the capital gains tax that would otherwise be due when you sell the appreciated stock, bonds, or mutual funds 

To make your donation go even further, you can fund a charitable gift annuity or charitable remainder trust with your appreciated securities. This may allow you to avoid all or a large portion of the capital gains tax and receive an income for life for you or for a loved one, all while helping future generations of Moffitt Cancer Center researchers. 

If you are concerned about the timing of your gift, please be sure to work closely with your broker or mutual fund company to ensure that the shares are transferred in a timely manner. Mutual funds usually take a little longer to transfer, as each mutual fund company has its own requirements for making charitable contributions. Allow at least one month for the transfer. 

IRA charitable rollover

If you are 70½ years of age or older you can transfer up to $100,000 from your individual retirement account (IRA) directly to Moffitt Cancer Center to support cancer research and patient care. You do not pay income taxes on these distributions, and they can be used to satisfy all or part of your required minimum distribution. In addition, because the transfer is tax-free and does not involve a charitable deduction, you can benefit even if you do not itemize your deductions. 

Gifts of cash via wire transfer

Prefer to make a gift via wire transfer? For wire transfer instructions please contact us at (813)745-1403 or 


Gifts-in-kind are non-monetary gifts given to Moffitt to be liquidated or otherwise converted to cash. Examples include unencumbered real estate and other valuable items. Please contact us if you are interested in making a gift-in-kind. Consult your individual tax advisor for tax questions and to determine how much of your contribution is deductible. 

*For questions about in-kind donations for display or use in the clinic or hospital, such as wig collections, books and scarves please contact Moffitt Volunteer Services at 1-888-663-3488 ext. 8880 or email

For more information about donating cash, stock or other assets, please contact (813) 745-1403 or

The information on this website is not intended as legal or tax advice. For such advice, please consult an attorney or tax advisor. References to estate and income taxes include federal taxes only. State income/estate taxes or state law may impact your benefits.


give today


By donating, you’re bringing hope and courage to our patients when they need it most.

give today


Moffitt Cancer Center Foundation
12902 Magnolia Drive
Tampa, FL 33612
1-800-456-3434, ext. 1403
Financials & Stewardship | Donor Privacy | State Nonprofit Disclosures | Please call 1-800-456-3434, ext. 1403, or email us at