Genetic Counseling Program
Genetic counseling and genetic testing have grown to become an important part of cancer care. At Moffitt Cancer Center, our team of board-certified genetic counselors is available to meet with patients to assess their hereditary risk of cancer and provide them with the most up-to-date information. Our goal is to provide you with additional services to complement the care you provide to your patients.
Our Experts Provide the Following Services:
- Comprehensive genetic risk assessment services for inherited cancer risk with board-certified genetic counselors
- Evaluate inherited cancer risk through a comprehensive review of personal and family cancer history
- Discuss available genetic testing options to evaluate cancer risks
- Discuss the benefits and considerations of testing, including insurance coverage and confidentiality
- Help patients decide if genetic testing is right for them
- Explain the process for ordering genetic testing
- Discuss medical management options based on family history and/or testing results – This can include assistance with decision making prior to initiating cancer treatment
- Discuss the emotional impact of cancer risk information on an individual and family members
To refer a patient to our Genetic Risk Assessment Service, complete our online form or reach out to a physician liaison. We respond to most online referrals on the same business day in which they are received, helping to shorten referral times and give patients prompt access to important information.