Moffitt Cancer Center's Cardio-Oncology Program is a unique collaboration between some of the field’s foremost oncologists and cardiologists and is the first academic program of its kind in the region. Designed to provide a complete range of surveillance, treatment and prevention services for the cardiotoxic side effects of cancer treatment, this program welcomes referrals for patients who are currently receiving treatment, as well as for patients who have completed their initial round(s) of therapy and are currently in survivorship. Additionally, we accept patients with all forms and stages of cancer, including breast cancer, leukemia, lymphoma and virtually any other malignancy.
Through Moffitt's Cardio-Oncology Program, patients can access the following services:
- Cardiovascular imaging including advanced 3D echocardiography systems, providing faster turnaround of results
- Evaluation, medical management and monitoring of existing cardiotoxic complications or pre-existing cardiovascular disease -- including arrhythmia, cardiomyopathy, cardiac ischemia, fibrosis and hypertension -- of patients who are preparing for or are undergoing cancer treatment
- Medical risk reduction for future high-risk treatment via cardioprotective agents
- Preoperative cardiovascular evaluation for patients undergoing cancer surgery, including advanced cardiac functioning tests, cardiovascular imaging
- Nutrition counseling and other integrative medicine services
- Treatment of patients who develop heart failure following treatments known to cause cardiac dysfunction, such as anthracyclines, Herceptin and radiation
- Assessment of the potential cardiovascular complications of new molecular-targeted cancer therapies -- including arrhythmias, cardiomyopathy, cardiac ischemia and hypertension -- with the goal of establishing tailored treatments for these complications
- Research studies to identify and test tailored therapies for treatment-induced cardiotoxicity
These services are often provided as part of a long-term plan, along with other survivorship services that are designed to enhance each patient's quality of life – both during and after treatment. Our team works hand in hand with referring physicians to monitor each patient's progress, providing detailed updates and emphasizing short referral times whenever possible.
Additionally, it's simple to refer a patient to our clinic; physicians can refer a patient to Moffitt's advanced Cardio-Oncology Program by calling 888-663-3488, completing our online form or contacting a physician liaison for assistance or support.