Find a Doctor Search
Dr. Yamoah received his MD degree from Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York and his PhD in Oncological Science from Mount Sinai Graduate School of Biological Sciences and Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, also in New York, NY. Dr. Yamoah recently completed a Radiation Oncology residency at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia, PA, where he served as Chief Resident. He also completed a research fellowship in prostate cancer disparities and epidemiology at the University of Pennsylvania. These educational experiences were enriched by obtaining two competitive grants from the Prostate Cancer Foundation and the Department of Defense to carry out work on prostate cancer disparity in men of African descent. Dr. Yamoah’s clinical focus is genitourinary malignancies. He is committed to increasing access and quality of care among the minority population, particularly men of African descent. His clinical expertise focuses on prostate cancer, prostate brachytherapy, intensity-modulation radiation therapy (IMRT) and image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT). Dr. Yamoah is a physician scientist who is highly demanded in the fast growing field of prostate cancer disparities research. He has won several awards and honors and is a respected member of the scientific community. Dr. Yamoah’s research focus is on the biologic factors that predispose African American men to higher prostate cancer incidence and mortality; he will use his research findings to inform targeted treatment recommendations in the clinical setting. Currently he is pursuing translational research to identify gene-specific factors associated with health disparities of aggressive prostate cancer as well as poor progression-free survival in African Americans. He has had the opportunity to present research at national meetings and authored 25 peer-reviewed publications.
Education & Training
- University of Pennsylvania - Molecular Epidemiology, Department of Epidemiology and Population Sciences
- Atlantic Health, New Jersey - Internship
- Korle Bu Teaching Hospital - Radiation Oncology Research
- St. Jude Children's Research Hospital - Pediatric Radiation Oncology
- Washington University - Gynecologic Brachytherapy
- Thomas Jefferson University Hospital - Radiation Oncology
- Mount Sinai School of Medicine - MD
CLINICAL TRIAL 18523
A Validation Study on the Impact of Decipher® Testing on Treatment Recommendations in African-American and Non-African American Men with Prostate Cancer (VANDAAM Study)
Intervention: Not Applicable
CLINICAL TRIAL 18643
Biobank for African American Prostate Cancer Research in Florida
If you believe you are eligible for one of these trials or studies, please call
- Echevarria MI, Naghavi AO, Abuodeh YA, Ahmed KA, Chevere C, Fernandez D, Yamoah K. Low-dose-rate Brachytherapy for Prostate Cancer in Low-resource Settings. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017 Oct;99(2):378-382. Pubmedid: 28871987.
- Luu HN, Lin HY, Sørensen KD, Ogunwobi OO, Kumar N, Chornokur G, Phelan C, Jones D, Kidd L, Batra J, Yamoah K, Berglund A, Rounbehler RJ, Yang M, Lee SH, Kang N, Kim SJ, Park JY, Di Pietro G. miRNAs associated with prostate cancer risk and progression. BMC Urol. 2017 Mar;17(1):18. Pubmedid: 28320379. Pmcid: PMC5359825.
- Kim H, Kalchman I, Santiago-Jiménez M, Lehrer J, Guo J, Hermann G, Yamoah K, Alshalalfa M, Huang HC, Ross AE, Schaeffer EM, Davicioni E, Erho N, Yousefi K, Den RB. Transcriptome evaluation of the relation between body mass index and prostate cancer outcomes. Cancer. 2017 Jun;123(12):2240-2247. Pubmedid: 28140459.
- Naghavi AO, Echevarria M, Strom T, Abuodeh YA, Ahmed KA, Venkat PS, Trotti A, Harrison LB, Green BL, Yamoah K, Caudell JJ. Race Is Associated With Poor Outcomes in Head and Neck Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016 Oct;96(2S):E407. Pubmedid: 27674609.
- Echevarria MI, Naghavi AO, Venkat PS, Abuodeh YA, Chevere C, Yamoah K. The impact of body mass index on dosimetric quality in low-dose-rate prostate brachytherapy. J Contemp Brachytherapy. 2016 Oct;8(5):386-390. Pubmedid: 27895679. Pmcid: PMC5116453.
- Yamoah K, Zeigler-Johnson CM, Jeffers A, Malkowicz B, Spangler E, Park JY, Whittemore A, Rebbeck TR. The impact of body mass index on treatment outcomes for patients with low-intermediate risk prostate cancer. BMC Cancer. 2016 Jul;16:557. Pubmedid: 27473687. Pmcid: PMC4966583.
- Naghavi AO, Echevarria MI, Strom TJ, Abuodeh YA, Ahmed KA, Venkat PS, Trotti A, Harrison LB, Green BL, Yamoah K, Caudell JJ. Treatment delays, race, and outcomes in head and neck cancer. Cancer Epidemiol. 2016 Dec;45:18-25. Pubmedid: 27664388.
- Naghavi AO, Echevarria MI, Grass GD, Strom TJ, Abuodeh YA, Ahmed KA, Kim Y, Trotti AM, Harrison LB, Yamoah K, Caudell JJ. Having Medicaid insurance negatively impacts outcomes in patients with head and neck malignancies. Cancer. 2016 Aug. Pubmedid: 27479362.
- Yamoah K, Johnstone PA. Proton beam therapy: clinical utility and current status in prostate cancer. Onco Targets Ther. 2016;9:5721-5727. Pubmedid: 27695349. Pmcid: PMC5033502.
- Yamoah K, Johnson MH, Choeurng V, Faisal FA, Yousefi K, Haddad Z, Ross AE, Alshalafa M, Den R, Lal P, Feldman M, Dicker AP, Klein EA, Davicioni E, Rebbeck TR, Schaeffer EM. Novel Biomarker Signature That May Predict Aggressive Disease in African American Men With Prostate Cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2015 Sep;33(25):2789-2796. Pubmedid: 26195723. Pmcid: PMC4550692.
- Palmer JD, Siglin J, Yamoah K, Dan T, Champ CE, Bar-Ad V, Werner-Wasik M, Evans JJ, Kim L, Glass J, Farrell C, Andrews DW, Shi W. Re-resection for recurrent high-grade glioma in the setting of re-irradiation: more is not always better. J Neurooncol. 2015 Sep;124(2):215-221. Pubmedid: 26024653.
- Yamoah K, Showalter TN, Ohri N. Radiation Therapy Intensification for Solid Tumors: A Systematic Review of Randomized Trials. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015 Nov;93(4):737-745. Pubmedid: 26530740. Pmcid: PMC4635974.
- Grover S, Balogun OD, Yamoah K, Groen R, Shah M, Rodin D, Martei Y, Olson AC, Slone JS, Shulman LN, Coleman CN, Hahn SM. Corrigendum: "Training Global Oncologists: Addressing the Global Cancer Control Problem". Front Oncol. 2015 Jun;5:133. Pubmedid: 26114095. Pmcid: PMC4461853.
- Yamoah K, Deville C, Vapiwala N, Spangler E, Zeigler-Johnson CM, Malkowicz B, Lee DI, Kattan M, Dicker AP, Rebbeck TR. African American men with low-grade prostate cancer have increased disease recurrence after prostatectomy compared with Caucasian men. Urol Oncol. 2015 Feb;33(2):70.e15-70.e22. Pubmedid: 25304288. Pmcid: PMC4980822.
- Grover S, Balogun OD, Yamoah K, Groen R, Shah M, Rodin D, Olson AC, Slone JS, Shulman LN, Coleman CN, Hahn SM. Training global oncologists: addressing the global cancer control problem. Front Oncol. 2015 Apr;5:80. Pubmedid: 25905040. Pmcid: PMC4389376.
- Yamoah K, Walker A, Spangler E, Zeigler-Johnson CM, Malkowicz B, Lee DI, Dicker AP, Rebbeck TR, Lal P. African-american race is a predictor of seminal vesicle invasion after radical prostatectomy. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2015 Apr;13(2):e65-e72. Pubmedid: 25450037. Pmcid: PMC4980819.
- Yamoah K, Eldredge-Hindy HB, Zaorsky NG, Palmer JD, Doyle LA, Sendecki JA, Hesney AA, Harper L, Repka M, Showalter TN, Hurwitz MD, Dicker AP, Den RB. Large prostate gland size is not a contraindication to low-dose-rate brachytherapy for prostate adenocarcinoma. Brachytherapy. 2014 Oct;13(5):456-464. Pubmedid: 24953945.
- Zaorsky NG, Yamoah K, Thakur ML, Trabulsi EJ, Showalter TN, Hurwitz MD, Dicker AP, Den RB. A paradigm shift from anatomic to functional and molecular imaging in the detection of recurrent prostate cancer. Future Oncol. 2014 Feb;10(3):457-474. Pubmedid: 24559451.
- Zaorsky NG, Doyle LA, Yamoah K, Andrel JA, Trabulsi EJ, Hurwitz MD, Dicker AP, Den RB. High dose rate brachytherapy boost for prostate cancer: a systematic review. Cancer Treat Rev. 2014 Apr;40(3):414-425. Pubmedid: 24231548.
- Yamoah K, Beecham K, Hegarty SE, Hyslop T, Showalter T, Yarney J. Early results of prostate cancer radiation therapy: an analysis with emphasis on research strategies to improve treatment delivery and outcomes. BMC Cancer. 2013 Jan;13:23. Pubmedid: 23324165. Pmcid: PMC3558339.
- Yamoah K, Stone N, Stock R. Impact of race on biochemical disease recurrence after prostate brachytherapy. Cancer. 2011 Dec;117(24):5589-5600. Pubmedid: 21692058.
- Fang L, Wang X, Yamoah K, Chen PL, Pan ZQ, Huang L. Characterization of the human COP9 signalosome complex using affinity purification and mass spectrometry. J Proteome Res. 2008 Nov;7(11):4914-4925. Pubmedid: 18850735. Pmcid: PMC2676908.
- Yamoah K, Brebene A, Baliram R, Inagaki K, Dolios G, Arabi A, Majeed R, Amano H, Wang R, Yanagisawa R, Abe E. High-mobility group box proteins modulate tumor necrosis factor-alpha expression in osteoclastogenesis via a novel deoxyribonucleic acid sequence. Mol Endocrinol. 2008 May;22(5):1141-1153. Pubmedid: 18218727. Pmcid: PMC2366181.
- Sun L, Vukicevic S, Baliram R, Yang G, Sendak R, McPherson J, Zhu LL, Iqbal J, Latif R, Natrajan A, Arabi A, Yamoah K, Moonga BS, Gabet Y, Davies TF, Bab I, Abe E, Sampath K, Zaidi M. Intermittent recombinant TSH injections prevent ovariectomy-induced bone loss. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008 Mar;105(11):4289-4294. Pubmedid: 18332426. Pmcid: PMC2393772.
- Yamoah K, Oashi T, Sarikas A, Gazdoiu S, Osman R, Pan ZQ. Autoinhibitory regulation of SCF-mediated ubiquitination by human cullin 1's C-terminal tail. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008 Aug;105(34):12230-12235. Pubmedid: 18723677. Pmcid: PMC2519045.
- Gazdoiu S, Yamoah K, Wu K, Pan ZQ. Human Cdc34 employs distinct sites to coordinate attachment of ubiquitin to a substrate and assembly of polyubiquitin chains. Mol Cell Biol. 2007 Oct;27(20):7041-7052. Pubmedid: 17698585. Pmcid: PMC2168909.
- Kumar A, Wu H, Collier-Hyams LS, Hansen JM, Li T, Yamoah K, Pan ZQ, Jones DP, Neish AS. Commensal bacteria modulate cullin-dependent signaling via generation of reactive oxygen species. Embo J. 2007 Oct;26(21):4457-4466. Pubmedid: 17914462. Pmcid: PMC2063476.
- Abe E, Sun L, Mechanick J, Iqbal J, Yamoah K, Baliram R, Arabi A, Moonga BS, Davies TF, Zaidi M. Bone loss in thyroid disease: role of low TSH and high thyroid hormone. Ann Ny Acad Sci. 2007 Nov;1116:383-391. Pubmedid: 18083940.
- Sun L, Peng Y, Zaidi N, Zhu LL, Iqbal J, Yamoah K, Wang X, Liu P, Abe E, Moonga BS, Epstein S, Zaidi M. Evidence that calcineurin is required for the genesis of bone-resorbing osteoclasts. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2007 Jan;292(1):F285-F291. Pubmedid: 16968888.
- Gazdoiu S, Yamoah K, Wu K, Escalante CR, Tappin I, Bermudez V, Aggarwal AK, Hurwitz J, Pan ZQ. Proximity-induced activation of human Cdc34 through heterologous dimerization. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005 Oct;102(42):15053-15058. Pubmedid: 16210246. Pmcid: PMC1242854.
- Yamoah K, Wu K, Pan ZQ. In vitro cleavage of Nedd8 from cullin 1 by COP9 signalosome and deneddylase 1. Methods Enzymol. 2005;398:509-522. Pubmedid: 16275355.
- Pan ZQ, Kentsis A, Dias DC, Yamoah K, Wu K. Nedd8 on cullin: building an expressway to protein destruction. Oncogene. 2004 Mar;23(11):1985-1997. Pubmedid: 15021886.
- Wu K, Yamoah K, Dolios G, Gan-Erdene T, Tan P, Chen A, Lee CG, Wei N, Wilkinson KD, Wang R, Pan ZQ. DEN1 is a dual function protease capable of processing the C terminus of Nedd8 and deconjugating hyper-neddylated CUL1. J Biol Chem. 2003 Aug;278(31):28882-28891. Pubmedid: 12759363.
- Eldredge-Hindy HB, Duffy D, Yamoah K, Simone NL, Skowronski J, Dicker AP, Anne PR. Modeled risk of ischemic heart disease following left breast irradiation with deep inspiration breath hold. Pract Radiat Oncol. 5(3):162-168. Pubmedid: 25957186.
- Science Daily: Genomic fingerprint may predict aggressive prostate cancer in African Americans
- Renal & Urology News: Biomarkers May Predict Aggressive Prostate Cancer in Black Men
- Cancer Today: Personalizing Prostate Cancer Treatment
- American Association for the Advancement of Science: Stigma stymies prostate cancer screening, treatment in Ghana
- Science Daily: Prostate cancer: Watchful waiting isn't right for everyone
- Web MD HealthDay: Watchful Waiting May Not Be Best for Black Men With Prostate Cancer
- View all published research here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Yamoah+kosj