Prostate Cancer Treatment
There are several different types of prostate cancer treatment. Surgery, chemotherapy and radiation therapy are all options, as are innovative targeted treatments such as hormone therapy and biological therapy.
In certain cases, physicians will recommend an "active surveillance" approach before beginning treatment. In this situation, a patient’s condition will be carefully monitored, but treatment will be delayed until the cancer starts to cause symptoms or spread – something that may take years to occur. This approach allows patients to avoid unnecessary treatments (and the associated side effects) in the earlier stages of their disease, without having to worry about therapy until it is expected to be beneficial to their prognosis.
Treatment options for prostate cancer
Depending on a patient’s specific diagnosis, symptoms and medical history, their prostate cancer treatment plan may include:
- Traditional or robotic surgery, such as a nerve-sparing surgery, a laparoscopic radical prostatectomy or a robotic prostatectomy, which is used to remove visible cancerous growths along with nearby tissue and/or lymph nodes that may be affected
- Radiation therapy, which uses high-energy X-rays (or other radioactive beams) to destroy cancer cells in a specific area
- Chemotherapy, which uses oral or intravenous medications to kill rapidly-dividing cells throughout the body
- Hormone therapy, which controls the prostate gland’s ability to produce testosterone and other hormones
- Biological therapy, which activates the patient’s own immune response to help fight the cancer
- Bisphosphonate therapy, which helps reduce the likelihood of the cancer spreading to the bones
Who treats prostate cancer?
Moffitt’s Urologic Oncology Program includes a multispecialty team who works together to provide individualized, comprehensive treatment for prostate cancer patients. Our talented treatment team comprises specialists who all focus specifically on prostate cancer, including:
- Radiation oncologists
- Medical oncologists
- Clinical radiologists
Why choose Moffitt for prostate cancer treatment?
Moffitt Cancer Center is at the forefront of prostate cancer treatment. Our multispecialty team of oncologists and medical professionals assesses each patient’s unique situation in a collaborative tumor board to recommend the most appropriate treatment. Not only do we offer an extensive range of innovative therapies, but we also have one of the most robust clinical trial programs in the region. These carefully monitored studies allow participants access to groundbreaking treatments before they are widely implemented in other settings. If you’d like to discuss clinical trial opportunities or other therapies with a member of our prostate cancer team, call 1-888-663-3488, or schedule an appointment online. There’s no need to obtain a physician’s referral to seek prostate cancer treatment at Moffitt.
- Patients from Clearwater, FL
- Patients from St Petersburg, FL
- Patients from Orlando, FL
- Patients from Fort Myers, FL
- Patients from Miami, FL
- Patients from West Palm Beach, FL