Your Prostate Cancer Doctors & Specialists
It’s important to see a prostate cancer doctor if you’re experiencing symptoms of or have recently been diagnosed with prostate cancer. As with other cancers, early detection and treatment greatly contribute to the likelihood of a successful outcome and an improved quality of life. At Moffitt Cancer Center, the Urologic Oncology Program features a multispecialty team that is dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of all types and stages of prostate cancer.
At Moffitt, each prostate cancer doctor specializes in a certain aspect of prostate cancer diagnosis or treatment. These specialists include:
- Urologists, who perform surgical procedures such as robotic surgery, traditional open surgery and laparoscopic (minimally invasive) radical prostatectomy to physically remove cancerous tissue
- Radiation oncologists, who develop the treatment plan for radiation therapy, which may include intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT), image guided radiation therapy (IGRT), stereotactic ablative radiotherapy (SABR) or brachytherapy
- Interventional radiologists, who specialize in minimally invasive procedures, such as radiofrequency ablation (RFA) and image-guided therapies
- Medical oncologists, who determine the combination of drugs and dosage most appropriate for a patient receiving chemotherapy
- Uropathologists, who perform biopsies and run lab tests to detect the presence of cancer and the nature of the cancerous tissue
- Uroradiologists, who use ultrasound, bone scans, CT scans, MRIs and other medical imaging to determine the location of the cancer and whether or not it has spread
Additionally, prostate cancer doctors at Moffitt work collaboratively as a tumor board, meeting regularly to ensure each patient’s case receives individualized attention. The tumor board works collaboratively as a multispecialty team to develop a treatment plan that is tailored to each patient’s particular case.
Patients at Moffitt Cancer Center benefit from receiving treatment not just from one highly experienced doctor, but from an entire team specializing in prostate cancer. Patients also enjoy the many services our supportive care specialists provide to address the spiritual, physical and emotional aspects of recovery. Moffitt patients benefit from having access to all of these services under the same roof.
If you’d like to meet with a prostate cancer doctor at Moffitt Cancer Center, fill out a new patient registration form or call 1-888-663-3488. We do not require a referral to schedule an appointment.