Find a Doctor
G Daniel Grass, MD, PhD
Cancer Focus: Bladder Cancer , Kidney (Renal Cell) Cancer , Penile Cancer, Prostate Cancer , Testicular Cancer
Dr. Daniel Grass is an Assistant Member in the Department of Radiation Oncology. Dr. Grass received his MD and PhD in Molecular and Cellular Biology and Pathobiology from the Medical University of South Carolina, Medical Scientist Training Program. Dr. Grass recently completed a Radiation Oncology Residency at Moffitt Cancer Center/University of South Florida. Dr. Grass is focused on treating patients with genitourinary malignancies by implementing novel approaches with leading edge radiation technologies and using imaging and tumor genomics in the decision-making process. He is also interested in multi-disciplinary care models in bladder cancer, which provide patients the opportunity to hear the best treatment options available before deciding on a treatment approach. Dr. Grass is interested in personalizing the approach to radiation therapy delivery by integrating patient-specific tumor genomics, metabolism and host-immune system interactions. He also has an interest in understanding the complexities of small cell cancer of the bladder or prostate and identifying novel treatment approaches for these aggressive tumor types.
Education & Training
CLINICAL TRIAL 19873
A Phase II Open Label Single Arm Study of Adjuvant Nivolumab following Chemo-Radiation in localized Muscle-Invasive Bladder Cancer (NEXT)
Intervention: BMS-936558 (Nivolumab); Nivolumab (Opdivo)
- Yuan Z, Fernandez D, Dhillon J, Abraham-Miranda J, Awasthi S, Kim Y, Zhang J, Jain R, Serna A, Pow-Sang JM, Poch M, Li R, Manley B, Fink A, Naghavi A, Torres-Roca JF, Grass GD, Kim S, Latifi K, Hunt D, Johnstone PAS, Yamoah K. Proof-of-principle Phase I results of combining nivolumab with brachytherapy and external beam radiation therapy for Grade Group 5 prostate cancer: safety, feasibility, and exploratory analysis. Prostate Cancer P D. 2021 Mar.24(1):140-149. Pubmedid: 32651467. Pmcid: PMC7882397.
- Scott JG, Sedor G, Scarborough JA, Kattan MW, Peacock J, Grass GD, Mellon EA, Thapa R, Schell M, Waller A, Poppen S, Andl G, Teer J, Eschrich SA, Dilling TJ, Dalton WS, Harrison LB, Fox T, Torres-Roca JF. Personalizing Radiotherapy Prescription Dose Using Genomic Markers of Radiosensitivity and Normal Tissue Toxicity in NSCLC. J Thorac Oncol. 2021 Mar.16(3):428-438. Pubmedid: 33301984.
- Parikh N, Keshishian E, Manley B, Grass GD, Torres-Roca J, Boulware D, Feuerlein S, Pow-Sang JM, Bagla S, Yamoah K, Bhatia S. Effectiveness and safety of prostatic artery embolization for the treatment of lower urinary tract symptoms from benign prostatic hyperplasia in men with concurrent localized prostate cancer. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2021 Mar. Pubmedid: 33794373.
- Bandini M, Zhu Y, Ye DW, Ornellas AA, Watkin N, Ayres B, Hakenberg OW, Heidenreich A, Raggi D, Giannatempo P, Marandino L, Haidl F, Pederzoli F, Briganti A, Montorsi F, Chipollini J, Azizi M, De Meerleer G, Brouwer OR, Grass GD, Johnstone PA, Albersen M, Spiess PE, Necchi A. Contemporary Treatment Patterns and Outcomes for Patients with Penile Squamous Cell Carcinoma: Identifying Management Gaps to Promote Multi-institutional Collaboration. Eur Urol Oncol. 2021 Feb.4(1):121-123. Pubmedid: 32943378.
- Perez BA, Kim S, Wang M, Karimi AM, Powell C, Li J, Dilling TJ, Chiappori A, Latifi K, Rose T, Lannon A, MacMillan G, Saller J, Grass GD, Rosenberg S, Gray J, Haura E, Creelan B, Tanvetyanon T, Saltos A, Shafique M, Boyle TA, Schell MJ, Conejo-Garcia JR, Antonia SJ. Prospective Single-Arm Phase 1 and 2 Study: Ipilimumab and Nivolumab With Thoracic Radiation Therapy After Platinum Chemotherapy in Extensive-Stage Small Cell Lung Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2021 Feb.109(2):425-435. Pubmedid: 33002543.
- Bandini M, Ross JS, Zhu Y, Ye DW, Ornellas AA, Watkin N, Ayres BA, Hakenberg OW, Heidenreich A, Salvioni R, Catanzaro M, Raggi D, Giannatempo P, Marandino L, Haidl F, Pederzoli F, Briganti A, Montorsi F, Chipollini J, Azizi M, De Meerleer G, Brouwer OR, Grass GD, Johnstone PA, Albersen M, Spiess PE, Necchi A. Association Between Human Papillomavirus Infection and Outcome of Perioperative Nodal Radiotherapy for Penile Carcinoma. Eur Urol Oncol. 2020 Nov. Pubmedid: 33199252.
- Mohammadi H, Shiue K, Grass GD, Verma V, Engellandt K, Daubner D, Schackert G, Gondim MJ, Gondim D, Vortmeyer AO, Kamer AP, Jin W, Robinson TJ, Watson G, Yu HM, Lautenschlaeger T. Isocitrate dehydrogenase 1 mutant glioblastomas demonstrate a decreased rate of pseudoprogression: a multi-institutional experience. Neurooncol Pract. 2020 Mar.7(2):185-195. Pubmedid: 32626587. Pmcid: PMC7318854.
- Glazar DJ, Grass GD, Arrington JA, Forsyth PA, Raghunand N, Yu HM, Sahebjam S, Enderling H. Tumor Volume Dynamics as an Early Biomarker for Patient-Specific Evolution of Resistance and Progression in Recurrent High-Grade Glioma. J Clin Med. 2020 Jun.9(7). Pubmedid: 32605050. Pmcid: PMC7409184.
- Yang G, Mills M, Kim Y, Figura NB, Doyle C, Oliver D, Grass GD, Robinson T, Chavez J, Kim S. Enhancement of the Follicular Lymphoma International Prognostic Index (FLIPI) with lymphopenia (FLIPI-L): a predictor for overall survival and histologic transformation. Blood Cancer J. 2020 Jan.9(12):104. Pubmedid: 31894139. Pmcid: PMC6938796.
- Figura NB, Oliver DE, Mohammadi H, Martinez K, Grass GD, Hoffe SE, Johnstone PAS, Frakes JM. Novel Dose Escalation Approaches for Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy to Adrenal Oligometastases: A Single-Institution Experience. Am J Clin Oncol. 2020 Feb.43(2):107-114. Pubmedid: 31764023.
- Yamoah K, Awasthi S, Mahal BA, Zhao SG, Grass GD, Berglund A, Abraham-Miranda J, Gerke T, Rounbehler RJ, Davicioni E, Liu Y, Park J, Cleveland JL, Pow-Sang JM, Fernandez D, Torres-Roca J, Karnes RJ, Schaeffer E, Freedland SJ, Spratt DE, Den RB, Rebbeck TR, Feng F. Novel Transcriptomic Interactions Between Immune Content and Genomic Classifier Predict Lethal Outcomes in High-grade Prostate Cancer. Eur Urol. 2020 Dec. Pubmedid: 33303244.
- Grisaru-Tal S, Itan M, Grass DG, Torres-Roca J, Eschrich SA, Gordon Y, Dolitzky A, Hazut I, Avlas S, Jacobsen EA, Ziv-Baran T, Munitz A. Primary tumors from mucosal barrier organs drive unique eosinophil infiltration patterns and clinical associations. Oncoimmunology. 2020 Dec.10(1):1859732. Pubmedid: 33457078. Pmcid: PMC7781846.
- Parikh N, Keshishian E, Sharma A, Roca M, Manley B, Poch M, Grass GD, Torres-Roca J, Boulware D, Johnstone P, Montejo M, Smith J, Pow-Sang J, Yamoah K. Prostatic Artery Embolization Is Safe and Effective for Medically Recalcitrant Radiation-Induced Prostatitis. Adv Radiat Oncol. 2020 Apr.5(5):905-909. Pubmedid: 33083652. Pmcid: PMC7557125.
- Yuan Z, Grass GD, Azizi M, Ahmed KA, Yoder GSJ, Welsh EA, Fulp WJ, Dhillon J, Torres-Roca JF, Giuliano AR, Spiess PE, Johnstone PA. Intrinsic radiosensitivity, genomic-based radiation dose and patterns of failure of penile cancer in response to adjuvant radiation therapy. Rep Pract Oncol Radiother. 2019 Nov.24(6):593-599. Pubmedid: 31719799. Pmcid: PMC6839006.
- Pires da Silva I, Glitza IC, Haydu LE, Johnpulle R, Banks PD, Grass GD, Goldinger SM, Smith JL, Everett AS, Koelblinger P, Roberts-Thomson R, Millward M, Atkinson VG, Guminski A, Kapoor R, Conry RM, Carlino MS, Wang W, Shackleton MJ, Eroglu Z, Lo S, Hong AM, Long GV, Johnson DB, Menzies AM. Incidence, features and management of radionecrosis in melanoma patients treated with cerebral radiotherapy and anti-PD-1 antibodies. Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 2019 Jul.32(4):553-563. Pubmedid: 30767428.
- Grass GD, Naghavi AO, Abuodeh YA, Perez BA, Dilling TJ. Analysis of Relapse Events After Definitive Chemoradiotherapy in Locally Advanced Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer Patients. Clin Lung Cancer. 2019 Jan.20(1):e1-e7. Pubmedid: 30268836.
- Ahmed KA, Liveringhouse CL, Mills MN, Figura NB, Grass GD, Washington IR, Harris EE, Czerniecki BJ, Blumencranz PW, Eschrich SA, Scott JG, Diaz R, Torres-Roca JF. Utilizing the genomically adjusted radiation dose (GARD) to personalize adjuvant radiotherapy in triple negative breast cancer management. EBioMedicine. 2019 Aug.47:163-169. Pubmedid: 31416721. Pmcid: PMC6796536.
- Grass GD, Mills MN, Ahmed KA, Liveringhouse CL, Montejo ME, Robinson TJ, Chavez JC, Harrison LB, Kim S. Radiotherapy for early stage diffuse large B-cell lymphoma with or without double or triple hit genetic alterations. Leuk Lymphoma. 2019 Apr.60(4):886-893. Pubmedid: 30457458. Pmcid: PMC6596288.
- Yuan Z, Grass GD, Robinson TJ, Kim S. Management of primary cutaneous CD4+ small and medium pleomorphic T-cell lymphoma: A retrospective study. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2018 Oct.79(4):772-774. Pubmedid: 29857014. Pmcid: PMC6563324.
- Ahmed KA, Grass GD, Orman AG, Liveringhouse C, Montejo ME, Soliman HH, Han HS, Czerniecki BJ, Torres-Roca JF, Diaz R. Personalizing Radiation Treatment Delivery in the Management of Breast Cancer. Int J Breast Cancer. 2018 Jun.2018:6729802. Pubmedid: 29984003. Pmcid: PMC6015692.
- Oliver DE, Donnelly OG, Grass GD, Naghavi AO, Yang GQ, Dilling TJ, Perez BA. Extracranial metastatic burden in extensive-stage small cell lung cancer: implications for prophylactic cranial irradiation. J Thorac Dis. 2018 Jul.10(7):4321-4327. Pubmedid: 30174879. Pmcid: PMC6106034.
- Ahmed KA, Scott JG, Arrington JA, Naghavi AO, Grass GD, Perez BA, Caudell JJ, Berglund AE, Welsh EA, Eschrich SA, Dilling TJ, Torres-Roca JF. Radiosensitivity of Lung Metastases by Primary Histology and Implications for Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy Using the Genomically Adjusted Radiation Dose. J Thorac Oncol. 2018 Aug.13(8):1121-1127. Pubmedid: 29733909. Pmcid: PMC7810135.
- Yuan Z, Fromm A, Ahmed KA, Grass GD, Yang GQ, Oliver DE, Dilling TJ, Antonia SJ, Perez BA. Radiotherapy Rescue of a Nivolumab-Refractory Immune Response in a Patient with PD-L1-Negative Metastatic Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Lung. J Thorac Oncol. 2017 Sep.12(9):e135-e136. Pubmedid: 28502722.
- Abuodeh Y, Ahmed K, Echevarria M, Naghavi A, Grass GD, Robinson TJ, Tomblyn M, Shah B, Chavez J, Bello C, El-Haddad G, Harrison L, Kim S. Priming radioimmunotherapy with external beam radiation in patients with relapsed low grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Ther Adv Hematol. 2017 Apr.8(4):129-138. Pubmedid: 28491264. Pmcid: PMC5405899.
- Naghavi AO, Echevarria MI, Grass GD, Strom TJ, Abuodeh YA, Ahmed KA, Kim Y, Trotti AM, Harrison LB, Yamoah K, Caudell JJ. Having Medicaid insurance negatively impacts outcomes in patients with head and neck malignancies. Cancer. 2016 Nov.122(22):3529-3537. Pubmedid: 27479362. Pmcid: PMC7810134.
- Grass GD, Krishna N, Kim S. The immune mechanisms of abscopal effect in radiation therapy. Curr Prob Cancer. 2016 Dec.40(1):10-24. Pubmedid: 26612692.
- Grass GD, Toole BP. How, with whom and when: an overview of CD147-mediated regulatory networks influencing matrix metalloproteinase activity. Biosci Rep. 2015 Nov.36(1):e00283. Pubmedid: 26604323. Pmcid: PMC4718507.
- Grass GD, Cooper SL, Armeson K, Garrett-Mayer E, Sharma A. Cervical esophageal cancer: a population-based study. Head Neck. 2015 Jun.37(6):808-814. Pubmedid: 24616217.
- Grass GD, Dai L, Qin Z, Parsons C, Toole BP. CD147: regulator of hyaluronan signaling in invasiveness and chemoresistance. Adv Cancer Res. 2014 Dec.123:351-373. Pubmedid: 25081536.
- Grass GD, Tolliver LB, Bratoeva M, Toole BP. CD147, CD44, and the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) signaling pathway cooperate to regulate breast epithelial cell invasiveness. J Biol Chem. 2013 Sep.288(36):26089-26104. Pubmedid: 23888049. Pmcid: PMC3764812.
- Dai L, Guinea MC, Slomiany MG, Bratoeva M, Grass GD, Tolliver LB, Maria BL, Toole BP. CD147-dependent heterogeneity in malignant and chemoresistant properties of cancer cells. Am J Pathol. 2013 Feb.182(2):577-585. Pubmedid: 23178078. Pmcid: PMC3562739.
- Grass GD, Bratoeva M, Toole BP. Regulation of invadopodia formation and activity by CD147. J Cell Sci. 2012 Feb.125(Pt 3):777-788. Pubmedid: 22389410. Pmcid: PMC3367836.
- Wilkerson BA, Grass GD, Wing SB, Argraves WS, Argraves KM. Sphingosine 1-phosphate (S1P) carrier-dependent regulation of endothelial barrier: high density lipoprotein (HDL)-S1P prolongs endothelial barrier enhancement as compared with albumin-S1P via effects on levels, trafficking, and signaling of S1P1. J Biol Chem. 2012 Dec.287(53):44645-44653. Pubmedid: 23135269. Pmcid: PMC3531779.
- Slomiany MG, Grass GD, Robertson AD, Yang XY, Maria BL, Beeson C, Toole BP. Hyaluronan, CD44, and emmprin regulate lactate efflux and membrane localization of monocarboxylate transporters in human breast carcinoma cells. Cancer Res. 2009 Feb.69(4):1293-1301. Pubmedid: 19176383. Pmcid: PMC3655770.
- Slomiany MG, Dai L, Tolliver LB, Grass GD, Zeng Y, Toole BP. Inhibition of Functional Hyaluronan-CD44 Interactions in CD133-positive Primary Human Ovarian Carcinoma Cells by Small Hyaluronan Oligosaccharides. Clin Cancer Res. 2009 Dec.15(24):7593-7601. Pubmedid: 19996211. Pmcid: PMC2794991.
- Bledsoe G, Shen B, Yao YY, Hagiwara M, Mizell B, Teuton M, Grass D, Chao L, Chao J. Role of tissue kallikrein in prevention and recovery of gentamicin-induced renal injury. Toxicol Sci. 2008 Apr.102(2):433-443. Pubmedid: 18227104.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.