Notice to Our Patients Regarding a Stolen Briefcase. Learn More
Find a Doctor
Cancer Focus: Adrenal Carcinoma, Bladder Cancer , Kidney (Renal Cell) Cancer , Prostate Cancer
A native of Connecticut, Dr. Poch entered Brown University as an undergraduate in the Program of Liberal Medical Education. He graduated with a BA in Biology from Brown University and went on to complete medical school at Brown Medical School. He stayed in Providence, Rhode Island at Brown University to complete his urology residency training. After residency he moved to Buffalo, New York to complete a Society for Urologic Oncology accredited urologic oncology fellowship at Roswell Park Cancer Institute. His clinical interests include bladder, kidney and prostate cancer with an emphasis on minimally invasive surgery and robotics. He is a reviewer for numerous professional journals, and is published in many peer-reviewed journals and has authored multiple book chapters on urologic oncology and robotics. He has lectured at national and international meetings. In addition, he currently sits on the National Comprehensive Cancer Network panel for prostate cancer early detection. Dr. Poch's research interests include health-related quality of life outcomes after oncologic surgery with a focus on post-operative body image and mental health assessments. Additional research interests include immunotherapy for bladder cancer, specifically evaluating the potential growth and expansion of tumor infiltrating lymphocytes. Dr. Poch is significantly involved in medical education at the University of South Florida and Moffitt Cancer Center. He is director of the Advanced Genitourinary Oncology elective for the medical school and is an integral part of the training for both the residents and Society for Urologic Oncology fellows.
Education & Training
- Rosewell Park Cancer Institute - Urologic Oncology
- Rhode Island Hospital, Brown University - General Surgery and Urology
- Alpert Medical School at Brown UniversityMD
- Li R, Sundi D, Zhang J, Kim Y, Sylvester RJ, Spiess PE, Poch MA, Sexton WJ, Black PC, McKiernan JM, Steinberg GD, Kamat AM, Gilbert SM. Systematic Review of the Therapeutic Efficacy of Bladder-preserving Treatments for Non-muscle-invasive Bladder Cancer Following Intravesical Bacillus Calmette-Guérin. Eur Urol. 2020 Mar.78(3):387-399. Pubmedid: 32143924.
- Yuan Z, Fernandez D, Dhillon J, Abraham-Miranda J, Awasthi S, Kim Y, Zhang J, Jain R, Serna A, Pow-Sang JM, Poch M, Li R, Manley B, Fink A, Naghavi A, Torres-Roca JF, Grass GD, Kim S, Latifi K, Hunt D, Johnstone PAS, Yamoah K. Proof-of-principle Phase I results of combining nivolumab with brachytherapy and external beam radiation therapy for Grade Group 5 prostate cancer: safety, feasibility, and exploratory analysis. Prostate Cancer P D. 2020 Jul. Pubmedid: 32651467.
- Rubino S, Kim Y, Zhou J, Dhillon J, Li R, Spiess P, Poch M, Manley BJ, Pow-Sang J, Gilbert S, Sexton W, Zhang J. Positive Ki-67 and PD-L1 expression in post-neoadjuvant chemotherapy muscle-invasive bladder cancer is associated with shorter overall survival: a retrospective study. World J Urol. 2020 Jul. Pubmedid: 32656671.
- Peyton CC, Hajiran A, Morgan K, Azizi M, Tang D, Chipollini J, Gilbert SM, Poch M, Sexton WJ, Spiess PE. Urinary leak following partial nephrectomy: a contemporary review of 975 cases. Can J Urol. 2020 Feb.27(1):10118-10124. Pubmedid: 32065869.
- Aydin AM, Gage K, Dhillon J, Cheriyan SK, Poch MA, Manley BJ, Li R, Sexton WJ, Spiess PE, Gilbert SM, Pow-Sang JM. Focal bipolar radiofrequency ablation for localized prostate cancer: Safety and feasibility. Int J Urol. 2020 Aug. Pubmedid: 32767444.
- Patel SY, Ackerman RS, Boulware D, Poch MA. Epidural anesthesia may be associated with increased postoperative complications in the elderly population undergoing radical cystectomy: an analysis from the National Surgical Quality Improvement Project (NSQIP) database. World J Urol. 2020 Apr. Pubmedid: 32318858.
- Peyton CC, Reich RR, Tang D, Alford B, Azizi M, Li R, Sexton WJ, Poch M, Gilbert SM. Identifying and Codifying Complications after Radical Cystectomy: Comparison of Administrative Diagnostic and Procedure Codes, and Clinical Chart Review. J Urol. 2019 Nov.202(5):913-919. Pubmedid: 31219762.
- Patel SY, Garcia Getting RE, Alford B, Hussein K, Schaible BJ, Boulware D, Lee JK, Gilbert SM, Powsang JM, Sexton WJ, Spiess PE, Poch MA. Improved Outcomes of Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) Protocol for Radical Cystectomy with Addition of a Multidisciplinary Care Process in a US Comprehensive Cancer Care Center. World J Surg. 2018 Sep;42(9):2701-2707. Pubmedid: 29750321.
- Peyton CC, Azizi M, Chipollini J, Ercole C, Fishman M, Gilbert SM, Juwono T, Lockhart J, Poch M, Pow-Sang JM, Spiess PE, Wiegand L, Sexton WJ. Survival Outcomes Associated With Female Primary Urethral Carcinoma: Review of a Single Institutional Experience. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2018 Oct;16(5):e1003-e1013. Pubmedid: 29859736.
- Peyton CC, Tang D, Reich RR, Azizi M, Chipollini J, Pow-Sang JM, Manley B, Spiess PE, Poch MA, Sexton WJ, Fishman M, Zhang J, Gilbert SM. Downstaging and Survival Outcomes Associated With Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy Regimens Among Patients Treated With Cystectomy for Muscle-Invasive Bladder Cancer. JAMA Oncol. 2018 Nov;4(11):1535-1542. Pubmedid: 30178038. Pmcid: PMC6248089.
- Chipollini J, Alford B, Boulware DC, Forget P, Gilbert SM, Lockhart JL, Pow-Sang JM, Sexton WJ, Spiess PE, Poch MA, Patel SY. Epidural anesthesia and cancer outcomes in bladder cancer patients: is it the technique or the medication? A matched-cohort analysis from a tertiary referral center. BMC Anesthesiol. 2018 Nov;18(1):157. Pubmedid: 30390636. Pmcid: PMC6215353.
- Jeong D, Raghunand N, Hernando D, Poch M, Jeong K, Eck B, Dhillon J. Quantification of sarcomatoid differentiation in renal cell carcinoma on magnetic resonance imaging. Quant Imaging Med Surg. 2018 May.8(4):373-382. Pubmedid: 29928602. Pmcid: PMC5989092.
- Poch M, Hall M, Joerger A, Kodumudi K, Beatty M, Innamarato PP, Bunch BL, Fishman MN, Zhang J, Sexton WJ, Pow-Sang JM, Gilbert SM, Spiess PE, Dhillon J, Kelley L, Mullinax J, Sarnaik AA, Pilon-Thomas S. Expansion of tumor infiltrating lymphocytes (TIL) from bladder cancer. Oncoimmunology. 2018 Jul.7(9):e1476816. Pubmedid: 30228944. Pmcid: PMC6140546.
- Chipollini J, Tang DH, Manimala N, Gilbert SM, Pow-Sang JM, Sexton WJ, Poch MA, Spiess PE. Evaluating the accuracy of intraoperative frozen section during inguinal lymph node dissection in penile cancer. Urol Oncol. 2018 Jan;36(1):14.e1-14.e5. Pubmedid: 29032883.
- Kumar NB, Dickinson SI, Schell MJ, Manley BJ, Poch MA, Pow-Sang J. Green tea extract for prevention of prostate cancer progression in patients on active surveillance. Oncotarget. 2018 Dec.9(102):37798-37806. Pubmedid: 30701033. Pmcid: PMC6340872.
- Elsamra SE, Poch MA. Robotic inguinal lymphadenectomy for penile cancer: the why, how, and what. Transl Androl Urol. 2017 Oct.6(5):826-832. Pubmedid: 29184779. Pmcid: PMC5673803.
- Spiess PE, Poch MA. Management of penile cancer. Transl Androl Urol. 2017 Oct.6(5):783-784. Pubmedid: 29184773. Pmcid: PMC5673816.
- Chipollini JJ, Tang DH, Patel SY, Garcia-Getting RE, Gilbert SM, Pow-Sang JM, Sexton WJ, Spiess PE, Poch MA. Perioperative Transfusion of Leukocyte-depleted Blood Products in Contemporary Radical Cystectomy Cohort Does Not Adversely Impact Short-term Survival. Urology. 2017 May.103:142-148. Pubmedid: 28011275.
- Chipollini J, Tang DH, Hussein K, Patel SY, Garcia-Getting RE, Pow-Sang JM, Gilbert SM, Sexton WJ, Spiess PE, Poch MA. Does Implementing an Enhanced Recovery After Surgery Protocol Increase Hospital Charges? Comparisons From a Radical Cystectomy Program at a Specialty Cancer Center. Urology. 2017 Jul;105:108-112. Pubmedid: 28342928.
- Tang DH, Nawlo J, Chipollini J, Gilbert SM, Poch M, Pow-Sang JM, Sexton WJ, Spiess PE. Management of Renal Masses in an Octogenarian Cohort: Is There a Right Approach?. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2017 Dec;15(6):696-703. Pubmedid: 28566202.
- Chipollini J, Tang DH, Gilbert SM, Poch MA, Pow-Sang JM, Sexton WJ, Spiess PE. Delay to Inguinal Lymph Node Dissection Greater than 3 Months Predicts Poorer Recurrence-Free Survival for Patients with Penile Cancer. J Urol. 2017 Dec;198(6):1346-1352. Pubmedid: 28652123.
- Leone AR, Zargar-Shoshtari K, Diorio GJ, Sharma P, Boulware D, Gilbert SM, Powsang JM, Zhang J, Sexton WJ, Spiess PE, Poch MA. Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy in Elderly Patients With Bladder Cancer: Oncologic Outcomes From a Single Institution Experience. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2017 Aug;15(4):e583-e589. Pubmedid: 28410909.
- Sharma P, Zargar-Shoshtari K, Poch MA, Pow-Sang JM, Sexton WJ, Spiess PE, Gilbert SM. Surgical control and margin status after robotic and open cystectomy in high-risk cases: Caution or equivalence?. World J Urol. 2017 Apr;35(4):657-663. Pubmedid: 27495912.
- Chipollini JJ, Tang DH, Patel SY, Garcia-Getting RE, Gilbert SM, Pow-Sang JM, Sexton WJ, Spiess PE, Poch MA. Author Reply. Urology. 2017 05;103:148. Pubmedid: 28108090.
- Zargar-Shoshtari K, Kongnyuy M, Sharma P, Fishman MN, Gilbert SM, Poch MA, Pow-Sang JM, Spiess PE, Zhang J, Sexton WJ. Clinical role of additional adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with locally advanced urothelial carcinoma following neoadjuvant chemotherapy and cystectomy. World J Urol. 2016 Nov;34(11):1567-1573. Pubmedid: 27072536.
- Zargar-Shoshtari K, Sexton WJ, Poch MA. Management of Urethral Recurrences: Urothelial and Nonurothelial. Urol Clin North Am. 2016 Nov;43(4):515-521. Pubmedid: 27717437.
- Carroll PR, Parsons JK, Andriole G, Bahnson RR, Castle EP, Catalona WJ, Dahl DM, Davis JW, Epstein JI, Etzioni RB, Farrington T, Hemstreet GP, Kawachi MH, Kim S, Lange PH, Loughlin KR, Lowrance W, Maroni P, Mohler J, Morgan TM, Moses KA, Nadler RB, Poch M, Scales C, Shaneyfelt TM, Smaldone MC, Sonn G, Sprenkle P, Vickers AJ, Wake R, Shead DA, Freedman-Cass DA. NCCN Guidelines Insights: Prostate Cancer Early Detection, Version 2.2016. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2016 May;14(5):509-519. Pubmedid: 27160230.
- Luchey AM, Manimala NJ, Dickinson S, Dhillon J, Agarwal G, Lockhart JL, Spiess PE, Sexton WJ, Pow-Sang JM, Gilbert SM, Poch MA. Change in Management Based on Pathologic Second Opinion Among Bladder Cancer Patients Presenting to a Comprehensive Cancer Center: Implications for Clinical Practice. Urology. 2016 Jul;93:130-134. Pubmedid: 27041469.
- Sharma P, Henriksen CH, Zargar-Shoshtari K, Xin R, Poch MA, Pow-Sang JM, Sexton WJ, Spiess PE, Gilbert SM. Preoperative Patient Reported Mental Health is Associated with High Grade Complications after Radical Cystectomy. J Urol. 2016 Jan;195(1):47-52. Pubmedid: 26235376. Pmcid: PMC4924593.
- Zargar-Shoshtari K, Sverrisson EF, Sharma P, Gupta S, Poch MA, Pow-Sang JM, Spiess PE, Sexton WJ. Clinical Outcomes After Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy and Radical Cystectomy in the Presence of Urothelial Carcinoma of the Bladder With Squamous or Glandular Differentiation. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2016 Feb;14(1):82-88. Pubmedid: 26411593.
- Lue K, Russell CM, Fisher J, Kurian T, Agarwal G, Luchey A, Poch M, Pow-Sang JM, Sexton WJ, Spiess PE. Predictors of Postoperative Complications in Patients Who Undergo Radical Nephrectomy and IVC Thrombectomy: A Large Contemporary Tertiary Center Analysis. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2016 Feb;14(1):89-95. Pubmedid: 26453395.
- Russell CM, Sharma P, Agarwal G, Fisher JS, Richard GJ, Spiess PE, Pow-Sang JM, Poch MA, Sexton WJ. Is percent seminoma associated with intraoperative morbidity during post-chemotherapy RPLND?. Can J Urol. 2016 Feb;23(1):8127-8134. Pubmedid: 26892052.
- Sharma P, Zargar-Shoshtari K, Caracciolo JT, Richard GJ, Poch MA, Pow-Sang J, Sexton WJ, Spiess PE. Sarcopenia as a predictor of complications in penile cancer patients undergoing inguinal lymph node dissection. World J Urol. 2015 Oct;33(10):1585-1592. Pubmedid: 25552207.
- Luchey AM, Agarwal G, Espiritu PN, Lockhart JL, Pow-Sang JM, Spiess PE, Sexton WJ, Poch MA. Patient and disease-specific factors and their influence on urinary reconstruction choice at a referral center. World J Urol. 2015 Nov;33(11):1763-1768. Pubmedid: 25774005.
- Luchey AM, Lin HY, Yue B, Agarwal G, Gilbert SM, Lockhart J, Poch MA, Pow-Sang JM, Spiess PE, Sexton WJ. Implications of Definitive Prostate Cancer Therapy on Soft Tissue Margins and Survival in Patients Undergoing Radical Cystectomy for Bladder Urothelial Cancer. J Urol. 2015 Nov;194(5):1220-1225. Pubmedid: 26055823.
- Kim T, Zargar-Shoshtari K, Dhillon J, Lin HY, Yue B, Fishman M, Sverrisson EF, Spiess PE, Gupta S, Poch MA, Sexton WJ. Using percentage of sarcomatoid differentiation as a prognostic factor in renal cell carcinoma. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2015 Jun;13(3):225-230. Pubmedid: 25544725.
- Luchey AM, Agarwal G, Poch MA. Robotic-Assisted Radical Cystectomy. Cancer Control. 2015 Jul;22(3):301-306. Pubmedid: 26351885.
- Carroll PR, Parsons JK, Andriole G, Bahnson RR, Barocas DA, Castle EP, Catalona WJ, Dahl DM, Davis JW, Epstein JI, Etzioni RB, Farrington T, Hemstreet GP, Kawachi MH, Lange PH, Loughlin KR, Lowrance W, Maroni P, Mohler J, Morgan TM, Nadler RB, Poch M, Scales C, Shaneyfelt TM, Smaldone MC, Sonn G, Sprenke P, Vickers AJ, Wake R, Shead DA, Freedman-Cass D. NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines Prostate Cancer Early Detection, Version 2.2015. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2015 Dec;13(12):1534-1561. Pubmedid: 26656522.
- Emtage JB, Poch MA, Hutton MT, Emtage JB. Prostate cancer trends in Barbados: An analysis of the Barbados Urologic Diseases Survey database. Cancer Epidemiol. 2015 Dec;39(6):825-830. Pubmedid: 26651441.
- Gopman JM, Djajadiningrat RS, Baumgarten AS, Espiritu PN, Horenblas S, Zhu Y, Protzel C, Pow-Sang JM, Kim T, Sexton WJ, Poch MA, Spiess PE. Predicting postoperative complications of inguinal lymph node dissection for penile cancer in an international multicentre cohort. BJU Int. 2015 Aug;116(2):196-201. Pubmedid: 25777366.
- Sharma P, Zargar-Shoshtari K, Caracciolo JT, Fishman M, Poch MA, Pow-Sang J, Sexton WJ, Spiess PE. Sarcopenia as a predictor of overall survival after cytoreductive nephrectomy for metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Urol Oncol. 2015 Aug;33(8):339.e17-339.e23. Pubmedid: 26094169.
- Zargar-Shoshtari K, Kim T, Simon R, Lin HY, Yue B, Sharma P, Spiess PE, Poch MA, Pow Sang J, Sexton WJ. Surveillance Following Nephron-Sparing Surgery: An Assessment of Recurrence Patterns and Surveillance Costs. Urology. 2015 Aug;86(2):321-326. Pubmedid: 26187013.
- Sharma P, Sverrisson EF, Zargar-Shoshtari K, Fishman MN, Sexton WJ, Dickinson SI, Spiess PE, Poch MA, Gilbert SM, Pow-Sang JM. Minimally invasive post-chemotherapy retroperitoneal lymph node dissection for nonseminoma. Can J Urol. 2015 Aug;22(4):7882-7889. Pubmedid: 26267026.
- Carroll PR, Parsons JK, Andriole G, Bahnson RR, Barocas DA, Catalona WJ, Dahl DM, Davis JW, Epstein JI, Etzioni RB, Giri VN, Hemstreet GP, Kawachi MH, Lange PH, Loughlin KR, Lowrance W, Maroni P, Mohler J, Morgan TM, Nadler RB, Poch M, Scales C, Shanefelt TM, Vickers AJ, Wake R, Shead DA, Ho M. Prostate cancer early detection, version 1.2014. Featured updates to the NCCN Guidelines. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2014 Sep;12(9):1211-1219. Pubmedid: 25190691.
- Espiritu PN, Sverrisson EF, Sexton WJ, Pow-Sang JM, Poch MA, Dhillon J, Spiess PE. Effect of tumor size on recurrence-free survival of upper tract urothelial carcinoma following surgical resection. Urol Oncol. 2014 Jul;32(5):619-624. Pubmedid: 24495448.
- Poch MA, Stegemann AP, Rehman S, Sharif MA, Hussain A, Consiglio JD, Wilding GE, Guru KA. Short-term patient reported health-related quality of life (HRQL) outcomes after robot-assisted radical cystectomy (RARC). BJU Int. 2014 Feb.113(2):260-265. Pubmedid: 23773798.
- Russell CM, Espiritu PN, Kassouf W, Schwaab T, Buethe DD, Dhilon J, Sexton WJ, Poch M, Powsang JM, Tanguay S, Nayan M, Alsaadi H, Hanzly MI, Spiess PE. Surgical outcomes in the management of isolated nodal recurrences: a multicenter, international retrospective cohort. J Urol. 2014 Aug;192(2):350-356. Pubmedid: 24530987.
- Strom TJ, Wilder RB, Fernandez DC, Mellon EA, Saini AS, Hunt DC, Pow-Sang JM, Spiess PE, Sexton WJ, Poch MA, Biagioli MC. A dosimetric study of polyethylene glycol hydrogel in 200 prostate cancer patients treated with high-dose rate brachytherapy±intensity modulated radiation therapy. Radiother Oncol. 2014 Apr;111(1):126-131. Pubmedid: 24746567.
- Poch MA, Mehedint D, Green DJ, Payne-Ondracek R, Fontham ET, Bensen JT, Attwood K, Wilding GE, Guru KA, Underwood W, Mohler JL, Heemers HV. The association between calcium channel blocker use and prostate cancer outcome. Prostate. 2013 Jun;73(8):865-872. Pubmedid: 23280547. Pmcid: PMC5826547.
- Poch MA, Raza J, Nyquist J, Guru KA. Tips and tricks to robot-assisted radical cystectomy and intracorporeal diversion. Curr Opin Urol. 2013 Jan;23(1):65-71. Pubmedid: 23202288.
- Rao AR, Stegemann AP, Rehman S, Poch MA, Green D, Guru KA. Status of Robot-Assisted Radical Cystectomy (RARC) in 2012. Indian J Surg Oncol. 2012 Jun;3(2):85-90. Pubmedid: 23730095. Pmcid: PMC3392479.
- Poch MA, Stegemann A, Chandrasekhar R, Hayn M, Wilding G, Guru KA. Does body mass index impact the performance of robot-assisted intracorporeal ileal conduit?. J Endourol. 2012 Jul;26(7):857-860. Pubmedid: 22332715.
- O'Malley R, Poch MA, Mohler J. The role, timing, and clinical use of ADT in prostate cancer. Oncology (Williston Park). 2010 Aug;24(9):809, 814. Pubmedid: 20923034.
- Sharma P, Zargar-Shoshtari K, Spiess PE, Sexton WJ, Poch MA. Undiagnosed prostatic malignancy at the time of radical cystoprostatectomy after prior prostatic radiation therapy. Urol Ann. 8(2):151-156. Pubmedid: 27141183. Pmcid: PMC4839230.
- Poch MA, Patel S, Garcia-Getting R. The present and future enhanced recovery after surgery for bladder cancer. Int Braz J Urol. 44(6):1266-1271. Pubmedid: 30044593. Pmcid: PMC6442167.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.