Find a Doctor
Damian Laber, MD
Program: Satellite and Community Oncology
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Cancer Focus: Adrenal Carcinoma, Anal Cancer, Appendiceal (Appendix) Cancer, Bladder Cancer , Brain Cancer , Breast Cancer, Cholangiocarcinoma (Bile Duct Cancer), Colon Cancer, Colorectal Cancer , Ductal Carcinoma In Situ , Esophageal Cancer , Gallbladder Cancer , Gastrointestinal Carcinoid Tumor , GIST (Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor) , Glioblastoma , Head and Neck Cancer , Hodgkin Lymphoma , Inflammatory Breast Cancer , Invasive Ductal Carcinoma , Kidney (Renal Cell) Cancer , Leukemia , Liver Cancer , Lung Cancer , MDS, Melanoma , Merkel Cell Carcinoma , Mesothelioma , Multiple Myeloma-Plasma Cell Tumor , Myelodysplastic Syndromes (MDS) , Neuroendocrine Tumor , Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma , Oral Cavity or Throat Cancer , Osteosarcoma , Pancoast Tumor , Pancreatic Cancer , Penile Cancer, Prostate Cancer , Rectal Cancer , Sarcoma , Skin Cancer (Nonmelanoma) , Small Intestine Cancer , Squamous Cell Carcinoma, Stomach (Gastric) Cancer , Testicular Cancer , Throat Cancer, Thymoma , Thyroid Cancer , Tongue Cancer, Triple Negative Breast Cancer
Dr. Laber is a hematologist/oncologist and senior member of the Moffitt Medical Group faculty based at Tampa General Hospital (TGH). The MMG faculty at TGH provides invaluable oncology services to the large patient population of this leading regional hospital. Dr. Laber earned his M.D. at the University of Buenos Aires, Argentina. He completed his residency in internal medicine at Cleveland Clinic Health System, and was designated Chief Resident during his term at Hillcrest and Southpointe Hospitals. Dr. Laber’s research interests have been devoted to translational research with special interest in hematology, genitourinary malignancies, gastrointestinal malignancies, and early clinical trials of new therapies. He has been the principal investigator in multiple clinical trials that have led to the development and approval of novel therapies for several cancers including prostate, kidney, colon, breast, lung, myeloproliferative disorders and many other malignancies. Dr. Laber’s other areas of research interest include heparin-induced thrombocytopenia, thrombosis in cancer, venous thromboembolism, coagulation and bleeding disorders. Dr. Laber has published in prestigious scientific journals such as The New England Journal of Medicine, Journal of Clinical Oncology, Blood, Cancer Investigation, American Journal of Hematology and European Journal of Haematology.
Education & Training
- Internal Medicine
- Medical Oncology
- UT MD Anderson Cancer Center - Hematology/Oncology
- Baylor College of Medicine - Hematology/Oncology
- Huron Hospital, Cleveland Clinic Health Systems - Internal Medicine
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center - Bone Marrow Transplant
- University of Buenos Aires(MD, - MD)
- Ashraf N, Visweshwar N, Jaglal M, Sokol L, Laber D. Evolving paradigm in thrombophilia screening. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis. 2019 Jul.30(5):249-252. Pubmedid: 31145103. Pmcid: PMC6687403.
- Kerr D, Laber D, Visweshwar N, Jaglal M. Case Report: CEA Elevation Can Be a Marker of Increased Inflammation During Treatment with Oxaliplatin. Anticancer Res. 2018 Mar;38(3):1711-1713. Pubmedid: 29491106.
- Laber DA, Chen MB, Jaglal M, Patel A, Visweshwar N. Phase 2 Study of Cyclophosphamide, Etoposide, and Estramustine in Patients With Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2018 Dec;16(6):473-481. Pubmedid: 30072309.
- Chen MB, Laber DA. Metastatic Microcystic Adnexal Carcinoma with DNA Sequencing Results and Response to Systemic Antineoplastic Chemotherapy. Anticancer Res. 2017 Sep.37(9):5109-5111. Pubmedid: 28870941.
- Sandoval-Sus JD, Mogollon-Duffo F, Patel A, Visweshwar N, Laber DA, Kim R, Jaglal MV. Nivolumab as salvage treatment in a patient with HIV-related relapsed/refractory Hodgkin lymphoma and liver failure with encephalopathy. J Immunother Cancer. 2017 Jun;5:49. Pubmedid: 28642818. Pmcid: PMC5477132.
- Sam C, Desai P, Laber D, Patel A, Visweshwar N, Jaglal M. Pegylated bovine carboxyhaemoglobin utilisation in a thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura patient. Transfus Med. 2017 Aug;27(4):300-302. Pubmedid: 28401611.
- Visweshwar N, Jaglal M, Booth C, Griffin P, Laber D. AOHE: manuscript AOHE-D-16-00564 paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria with autoimmune hemolytic anemia following eculizumab therapy-with large granular lymphocytic leukemia. Ann Hematol. 2016 Oct;95(10):1747-1749. Pubmedid: 27449072. Pmcid: PMC4982880.
- Rosenberg JE, Bambury RM, Van Allen EM, Drabkin HA, Lara PN, Harzstark AL, Wagle N, Figlin RA, Smith GW, Garraway LA, Choueiri T, Erlandsson F, Laber DA. A phase II trial of AS1411 (a novel nucleolin-targeted DNA aptamer) in metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Invest New Drugs. 2014 Feb;32(1):178-187. Pubmedid: 24242861. Pmcid: PMC4560460.
- Harandi A, Zaidi AS, Stocker AM, Laber DA. Clinical Efficacy and Toxicity of Anti-EGFR Therapy in Common Cancers. J Oncol. 2013 Jul;2009:567486. Pubmedid: 19424511. Pmcid: PMC2677718.
- Storey RE, Huerta AL, Khan A, Laber DA. Spontaneous complete regression of hepatocellular carcinoma. Med Oncol. 2011 Dec;28(4):948-950. Pubmedid: 20467917.
- Rabinowits G, Bhupalam L, Miller DM, Kloecker GH, Laber DA. Fixed-dose every-other-week capecitabine and oxaliplatin for refractory squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Am J Med Sci. 2010 Feb;339(2):148-151. Pubmedid: 20087165.
- Khan MI, Chesney JA, Laber DA, Miller DM. Digitalis, a targeted therapy for cancer?. Am J Med Sci. 2009 May;337(5):355-359. Pubmedid: 19440057.
- Bates PJ, Laber DA, Miller DM, Thomas SD, Trent JO. Discovery and development of the G-rich oligonucleotide AS1411 as a novel treatment for cancer. Exp Mol Pathol. 2009 Jun;86(3):151-164. Pubmedid: 19454272. Pmcid: PMC2716701.
- Rezazadeh A, Laber DA, Ghim SJ, Jenson AB, Kloecker G. The role of human papilloma virus in lung cancer: a review of the evidence. Am J Med Sci. 2009 Jul;338(1):64-67. Pubmedid: 19593105.
- Moffett PU, Moffett BK, Laber DA. Diagnosing and managing suspected malignant pleural effusions. J Support Oncol. 2009 Jul;7(4):143-146. Pubmedid: 19731581.
- Laber DA, Mushtaq M. Compassionate use of sorafenib in patients with advanced renal cell cancer. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2009 Jan;7(1):34-38. Pubmedid: 19213666.
- Jaglal MV, Laber DA, Arnold FW, Miller DM, Chesney JA, Kloecker GH. Obtaining routine blood cultures during interleukin-2-containing therapy is unnecessary. Am J Clin Oncol. 2009 Aug;32(4):429-431. Pubmedid: 19451801.
- Rabinowits G, Laber DA. Bladder cancer: clinical practice. J Ky Med Assoc. 2009 Apr;107(4):129-133. Pubmedid: 19419018.
- Slone SP, Martin AW, Wellhausen SR, Woods DR, Malone JC, Lear SC, Laber DA. IL-4 production by CD8+ lymphomatoid papulosis, type C, attracts background eosinophils. J Cutan Pathol. 2008 Oct;35 Suppl 1:38-45. Pubmedid: 18537857.
- Cramer DE, Wagner S, Li B, Liu J, Hansen R, Reca R, Wu W, Surma EZ, Laber DA, Ratajczak MZ, Yan J. Mobilization of hematopoietic progenitor cells by yeast-derived beta-glucan requires activation of matrix metalloproteinase-9. Stem Cells. 2008 May;26(5):1231-1240. Pubmedid: 18339771.
- Kloecker GH, Kannan CR, Laber DA, Rezazadeh A. Brain stem and clivus plasmacytoma. Am J Med Sci. 2008 Dec;336(6):503. Pubmedid: 19092324.
- Wagner SA, Mehta AC, Laber DA. Rituximab-induced interstitial lung disease. Am J Hematol. 2007 Oct;82(10):916-919. Pubmedid: 17597477.
- Rabinowits G, Shuster TD, Pazianos AG, Laber DA. Indolent course of thymic carcinoid. J Clin Oncol. 2007 Mar;25(9):1138-1139. Pubmedid: 17369578.
- Laber DA, Khan MI, Kloecker GH, Schonard C, Taft BS, Salvador C. A phase I study of thalidomide, capecitabine and temozolomide in advanced cancer. Cancer Biol Ther. 2007 Jun;6(6):840-845. Pubmedid: 17582215.
- Martin ME, Kloecker GH, Laber DA. Argatroban for anticoagulation during cardiac surgery. Eur J Haematol. 2007 Feb;78(2):161-166. Pubmedid: 17328717.
- Choudry MA, Moffett BK, Laber DA. Pure red-cell aplasia secondary to pregnancy, characterization of a syndrome. Ann Hematol. 2007 Apr;86(4):233-237. Pubmedid: 17262194.
- Laber DA, Okeke RI, Arce-Lara C, Taft BS, Schonard CL, McMasters KM, Kloecker GH, Miller DM. A phase II study of extended dose temozolomide and thalidomide in previously treated patients with metastatic melanoma. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2006 Sep;132(9):611-616. Pubmedid: 16741726.
- Martin ME, Laber DA. Cefotetan-induced hemolytic anemia after perioperative prophylaxis. Am J Hematol. 2006 Mar;81(3):186-188. Pubmedid: 16493619.
- Morgan JS, Laber DA. Ceftriaxone-resistant Salmonella septicemia and osteomyelitis in sickle cell disease adults. South Med J. 2006 Jun;99(6):625-627. Pubmedid: 16800421.
- Laber DA, Goetz H K, Bhupalam L. Advances in the management of metastatic androgen-independent prostate cancer. J Ky Med Assoc. 2006 Feb;104(2):65-69. Pubmedid: 16594572.
- Laber DA, Glisson SD, Hargis JB, Kosfeld RE, Goldsmith G, Cervera A, La Rocca RV. A phase II study of higher dose docetaxel in androgen-independent prostate cancer. Am J Clin Oncol. 2006 Aug;29(4):389-394. Pubmedid: 16891868.
- Laber DA. Why did he die?. Cancer Invest. 2006 Apr;24(3):331-332. Pubmedid: 16809163.
- Laber DA. Risk factors, classification, and staging of renal cell cancer. Med Oncol. 2006;23(4):443-454. Pubmedid: 17303902.
- Laber DA, Martin ME. Etiology of thrombocytopenia in all patients treated with heparin products. Eur J Haematol. 2005 Aug;75(2):101-105. Pubmedid: 16000126.
- Makoni SN, Laber DA. Clinical spectrum of myelophthisis in cancer patients. Am J Hematol. 2004 May;76(1):92-93. Pubmedid: 15114608.
- Hesketh PJ, Arena F, Patel D, Austin M, D'Avirro P, Rossi G, Colowick A, Schwartzberg L, Bertoli LF, Cole JT, Demetri G, Dessypris E, Dobbs T, Eisenberg P, Fleischman R, Hall J, Hoffman PC, Laber DA, Leonard J, Lester EP, McCachren S, McMeekin S, Meza L, Miller DS, Nand S, Oliff I, Paroly W, Pawl L, Perez A, Raftopoulos H, Rigas J, Rowland K, Scullin DC, Tezcan H, Waples J, Ward J, Yee LK. A randomized controlled trial of darbepoetin alfa administered as a fixed or weight-based dose using a front-loading schedule in patients with anemia who have nonmyeloid malignancies. Cancer. 2004 Feb;100(4):859-868. Pubmedid: 14770445.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.