Find a Doctor
Roger Li, MD
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Cancer Focus: Bladder Cancer , Kidney (Renal Cell) Cancer , Penile Cancer, Prostate Cancer , Testicular Cancer
Dr. Roger Li is a genitourinary oncologist whose clinical practice focuses on the surgical treatment of bladder, prostate, kidney and penile cancers. He offers a variety of treatment options, including open, laparoscopic, and robotic-assisted procedures, as well as nerve sparing approaches based on the clinical scenario. Prior to joining Moffitt, Dr. Li completed advanced urologic oncology training at the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. Dr. Li’s research interest includes the genomic characterization of genitourinary malignancies in attempt to tailor therapy specific to the patient, as well as the development of novel immunotherapeutic strategies in treating early stage bladder cancer. Dr. Li’s work has previously been highlighted in several national and international urology meetings. He has authored numerous peer reviewed manuscripts and book chapters on urologic oncology. In addition, he serves as reviewer for many international urologic journals, including British Journal of Urology International, European Urology Oncology, Journal of Clinical Genitourinary Cancer, and BMC Cancer. A native of California, Dr. Li received his medical degree from the University of California, Irvine, and completed his urologic residency training at Loma Linda University Medical Center. In his spare time, he enjoys spending time with his family, traveling, and watching and playing basketball.
Education & Training
- University of Texas, MD Anderson Cancer Center -
- Loma Linda University Medical Center -
- University of California, Irvine School of Medicine(MD, - MD)
- Matulay JT, Tabayoyong W, Duplisea JJ, Chang C, Daneshmand S, Gore JL, Holzbeierlein JM, Karsh LI, Kim SP, Konety BR, Li R, McKiernan JM, Messing EM, Steinberg GD, Williams SB, Kamat AM. Variability in adherence to guidelines based management of nonmuscle invasive bladder cancer among Society of Urologic Oncology (SUO) members. Urol Oncol. 2020 May. Pubmedid: 32430255.
- Li R, Sundi D, Zhang J, Kim Y, Sylvester RJ, Spiess PE, Poch MA, Sexton WJ, Black PC, McKiernan JM, Steinberg GD, Kamat AM, Gilbert SM. Systematic Review of the Therapeutic Efficacy of Bladder-preserving Treatments for Non-muscle-invasive Bladder Cancer Following Intravesical Bacillus Calmette-Guérin. Eur Urol. 2020 Mar. Pubmedid: 32143924.
- Narayan VM, Seif MA, Lim AH, Li R, Matulay JT, Kukreja JB, Qiao W, Hwang H, Shah JB, Pisters L, Kamat AM, Dinney C, Navai N. Radical cystectomy in women: Impact of the robot-assisted versus open approach on surgical outcomes. Urol Oncol. 2020 Jan.38(4):247-254. Pubmedid: 31953001.
- Liem EIML, Oddens JR, Vernooij RWM, Li R, Kamat A, Dinney CP, Mengual L, Alcaraz A, Izquierdo L, Savic S, Thalmann GN, Bubendorf L, Sylvester RJ, de Reijke TM. The Role of Fluorescence In Situ Hybridization for Predicting Recurrence after Adjuvant bacillus Calmette-Guérin in Patients with Intermediate and High Risk Nonmuscle Invasive Bladder Cancer: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Individual Patient Dat. J Urol. 2020 Feb.203(2):283-291. Pubmedid: 31549936.
- Li R, Kamat AM. Predictors of Response to Intravesical Therapy. Urol Clin North Am. 2020 Feb.47(1):23-33. Pubmedid: 31757297.
- Peyton CC, Reich RR, Tang D, Alford B, Azizi M, Li R, Sexton WJ, Poch M, Gilbert SM. Identifying and Codifying Complications after Radical Cystectomy: Comparison of Administrative Diagnostic and Procedure Codes, and Clinical Chart Review. J Urol. 2019 Nov.202(5):913-919. Pubmedid: 31219762.
- Shen J, Ruckle D, Li R, Keheila M, Alsyouf M, Schober J, Tryon D, Stokes P, Ruckle HC, Baron P, De Vera M, Baldwin DD. How a Donor Nephrectomy Population Can Help Give Perspective to the Effects of Renal Parenchymal Preservation During Partial Nephrectomy. J Endourol. 2019 May.33(5):417-422. Pubmedid: 30838888.
- Li R, Metcalfe MJ, Tabayoyong WB, Guo CC, Nogueras González GM, Navai N, Grossman HB, Dinney CP, Kamat AM. Using Grade of Recurrent Tumor to Guide Further Therapy While on Bacillus Calmette-Guerin: Low-grade Recurrences Are not Benign. Eur Urol Oncol. 2019 May.2(3):286-293. Pubmedid: 31200843.
- Li R, Kukreja JEB, Seif MA, Petros FG, Campbell MT, Nguyen JV, González GMN, Kamat AM, Pisters LL, Dinney CP, Navai N. The role of metastatic burden in cytoreductive/consolidative radical cystectomy. World J Urol. 2019 Mar.37(12):2691-2698. Pubmedid: 30864005.
- Li R, Duplisea JJ, Petros FG, González GMN, Tu SM, Karam JA, Huynh TT, Ward JF. Robotic Postchemotherapy Retroperitoneal Lymph Node Dissection for Testicular Cancer. Eur Urol Oncol. 2019 Mar. Pubmedid: 31412007.
- Duplisea JJ, Petros FG, Li R, Fellman B, Guo CC, Czerniak BA, Siefker-Radtke AO, Araujo JC, Dinney CPN, Matin SF. Outcomes of nonmetastatic micropapillary variant upper tract urothelial carcinoma. Urol Oncol. 2019 Jun.37(6):354.e19-354.e26. Pubmedid: 30777393. Pmcid: PMC6511295.
- Li R, Spiess PE, Gilbert SM, Necchi A. Towards Personalized Neoadjuvant Therapy for Muscle-invasive Bladder Cancer. Eur Urol. 2019 Jul.76(1):4-6. Pubmedid: 30833139.
- Li R, Zhang M, Duplisea JJ, Troncoso P, Ward JF. Detection and Treatment of Primary Prostatic Melanoma. Urology. 2019 Jan;123:16-19. Pubmedid: 30195014.
- Li R, Tabayoyong WB, Guo CC, González GMN, Navai N, Grossman HB, Dinney CP, Kamat AM. Prognostic Implication of the United States Food and Drug Administration-defined BCG-unresponsive Disease. Eur Urol. 2019 Jan;75(1):8-10. Pubmedid: 30301695.
- Duplisea JJ, Mason RJ, Reichard CA, Li R, Shen Y, Boorjian SA, Dinney CP. Trends and disparities in the use of neoadjuvant chemotherapy for muscle-invasive urothelial carcinoma. Can Urol Assoc J. 2019 Feb.13(2):24-28. Pubmedid: 30138098. Pmcid: PMC6363565.
- Li R, Spiess PE, Gilbert SM, Necchi A. Reply to Yubo Yang, Xin Wei, and Ping Han's Letter to the Editor re: Roger Li, Philippe E. Spiess, Scott M. Gilbert, Andrea Necchi. Towards Personalized Neoadjuvant Therapy for Muscle-invasive Bladder Cancer. Eur Urol 2019;76:4-6. Eur Urol. 2019 Aug.76(2):e34. Pubmedid: 31056228.
- Kamat AM, Li R, O'Donnell MA, Black PC, Roupret M, Catto JW, Comperat E, Ingersoll MA, Witjes WP, McConkey DJ, Witjes JA. Predicting Response to Intravesical Bacillus Calmette-Guérin Immunotherapy: Are We There Yet? A Systematic Review. Eur Urol. 2018 May.73(5):738-748. Pubmedid: 29055653.
- Li R, Petros FG, Davis JW. Extended Pelvic Lymph Node Dissection in Bladder Cancer. J Endourol. 2018 May.32(S1):S49-S54. Pubmedid: 29774757.
- Petros FG, Keskin SK, Yu KJ, Li R, Metcalfe MJ, Fellman BM, Chang CM, Gu C, Tamboli P, Matin SF, Karam JA, Wood CG. Intraoperative Conversion From Partial to Radical Nephrectomy: Incidence, Predictive Factors, and Outcomes. Urology. 2018 Jun;116:114-119. Pubmedid: 29578041.
- Li R, Metcalfe M, Kukreja J, Navai N. Role of Radical Cystectomy in Non-Organ Confined Bladder Cancer: A Systematic Review. Bladder Cancer. 2018 Jan.4(1):31-40. Pubmedid: 29430505. Pmcid: PMC5798530.
- Li R, Baack Kukreja JE, Kamat AM. Secondary Tumors After Urinary Diversion. Urol Clin North Am. 2018 Feb;45(1):91-99. Pubmedid: 29169454.
- Li R, Metcalfe MJ, Ferguson JE, Mokkapati S, Nogueras González GM, Dinney CP, Navai N, McConkey DJ, Sahai SK, Kamat AM. Effects of thiazolidinedione in patients with active bladder cancer. BJU Int. 2018 Feb;121(2):244-251. Pubmedid: 28872778. Pmcid: PMC5780258.
- Li R, Ravizzini GC, Gorin MA, Maurer T, Eiber M, Cooperberg MR, Alemozzaffar M, Tollefson MK, Delacroix SE, Chapin BF. The use of PET/CT in prostate cancer. Prostate Cancer P D. 2018 Apr;21(1):4-21. Pubmedid: 29230009.
- Li R, Spiess PE, Kamat AM. Treatment Options for Patients with Recurrent Tumors After BCG Therapy: Are We Ignoring the Obvious?. Eur Urol. 2018 10;74(4):405-408. Pubmedid: 29685644.
- Li R, Petros FG, Davis CJ, Ward JF. Characterization of Glomus Tumors of the Kidney. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2017 Sep. Pubmedid: 28967505.
- Shen JK, Faaborg D, Rouse G, Kelly I, Li R, Alsyouf M, Myklak K, Distelberg B, Staack A. Applying translabial ultrasound to detect synthetic slings-You can do it too! A comparison of urology trainees to an attending radiologist. Neurourol Urodyn. 2017 Sep;36(7):1763-1769. Pubmedid: 28185316.
- Li R, Sylvester R, Dinney CP, Kamat AM. Letter to the Editor: Bacillus Calmette-Guerin (BCG) Treatment Failures with Non-Muscle Invasive Bladder Cancer: A Data-Driven Definition for BCG Unresponsive Disease. Bladder Cancer. 2017 Jul.3(3):147-148. Pubmedid: 28824941. Pmcid: PMC5545908.
- Li R, Amrhein J, Cohen Z, Champagne M, Kamat AM. Efficacy of Mycobacterium Phlei Cell Wall-Nucleic Acid Complex (MCNA) in BCG-Unresponsive Patients. Bladder Cancer. 2017 Jan.3(1):65-71. Pubmedid: 28149937. Pmcid: PMC5271425.
- Khater N, Keheila M, Lightfoot M, Shen J, Abourbih S, Alsyouf M, Li R, Baldwin DD. Predictors of narcotic use after percutaneous nephrolithotomy. Can J Urol. 2017 Feb;24(1):8634-8640. Pubmedid: 28263128.
- Metcalfe MJ, Ferguson JE, Li R, Xiao L, Guo CC, Czerniak BA, Siefker-Radtke A, Pretzsch SM, Navai N, McConkey DJ, Kamat AM, Campbell M, Dinney C. Impact of High-risk Features and Effect of Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy in Urothelial Cancer Patients with Invasion into the Lamina Propria on Transurethral Resection in the Absence of Deep Muscle Invasion. Eur Urol Focus. 2017 Dec;3(6):577-583. Pubmedid: 28753816. Pmcid: PMC5767145.
- Abourbih S, Alsyouf M, Yeo A, Martin J, Vassantachart JM, Lee M, Maldonado J, Lightfoot M, Li R, Olgin G, Baldwin DD. Renal Pelvic Pressure in Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy: The Effect of Multiple Tracts. J Endourol. 2017 10;31(10):1079-1083. Pubmedid: 28791874.
- Li R, Ruckle D, Keheila M, Maldonado J, Lightfoot M, Alsyouf M, Yeo A, Abourbih SR, Olgin G, Arenas JL, Baldwin DD. High-Frequency Dusting Versus Conventional Holmium Laser Lithotripsy for Intrarenal and Ureteral Calculi. J Endourol. 2017 03;31(3):272-277. Pubmedid: 27960541.
- Li R, Hu B. Recognition and Management of Ectopic Ureterocele During Robotic Assisted Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy. Urol Case Rep. 2016 Sep;8:15-17. Pubmedid: 27313987. Pmcid: PMC4906080.
- Arenas JL, Shen JK, Keheila M, Abourbih SR, Lee A, Stokes PK, Li R, Alsyouf M, Lightfoot MA, Baldwin DD. Kidney, Ureter, and Bladder (KUB): A Novel Grading System for Encrusted Ureteral Stents. Urology. 2016 Nov;97:51-55. Pubmedid: 27421780.
- Li R, Choi W, Ferguson Rd JE, Metcalfe MJ, Kamat AM. New discoveries in the molecular landscape of bladder cancer. F1000Res. 2016 Dec.5:2875. Pubmedid: 28105319. Pmcid: PMC5225406.
- Li R, Petros FG, Kukreja JB, Williams SB, Davis JW. Current technique and results for extended pelvic lymph node dissection during robot-assisted radical prostatectomy. Investig Clin Urol. 2016 Dec.57(Suppl 2):S155-S164. Pubmedid: 27995219. Pmcid: PMC5161019.
- Khater N, Shen J, Arenas J, Keheila M, Alsyouf M, Martin JA, Lightfoot MA, Li R, Olgin G, Smith JC, Baldwin DD. Bench-Top Feasibility Testing of a Novel Percutaneous Renal Access Technique: The Laser Direct Alignment Radiation Reduction Technique (DARRT). J Endourol. 2016 11;30(11):1155-1160. Pubmedid: 27758120.
- Li R, Ruckle HC, Schlaifer AE, El-Shafei A, Yu C, Jones JS. The Effect of Androgen Deprivation Therapy Before Salvage Whole-gland Cryoablation After Primary Radiation Failure in Prostate Cancer Treatment. Urology. 2015 May.85(5):1137-1142. Pubmedid: 25799176.
- Vassantachart JM, Lightfoot M, Yeo A, Maldonado J, Li R, Alsyouf M, Martin J, Lee M, Olgin G, Baldwin DD. Laser fiber cleaving techniques: effects on tip morphology and power output. J Endourol. 2015 Jan;29(1):84-89. Pubmedid: 24964275.
- Li R, Lightfoot M, Alsyouf M, Nicolay L, Baldwin DD, Chamberlin DA. Diagnosis and management of ureteral fibroepithelial polyps in children: a new treatment algorithm. J Pediatr Urol. 2015 Feb;11(1):22.e1-22.e6. Pubmedid: 25218353.
- Alsyouf M, Smith DL, Olgin G, Heldt JP, Lightfoot M, Li R, Baldwin DD. Comparing stone attenuation in low- and conventional-dose noncontrast computed tomography. J Endourol. 2014 Jun;28(6):704-707. Pubmedid: 24517291.
- Li R, Ruckle HC, Creech JD, Culpepper DJ, Lightfoot MA, Alsyouf M, Nicolay L, Jellison F, Baldwin DD. A prospective, randomized, controlled trial assessing diazepam to reduce perception and recall of pain during transrectal ultrasonography-guided biopsy of the prostate. J Endourol. 2014 Jul;28(7):881-886. Pubmedid: 24641687.
- Olgin G, Alsyouf M, Han D, Li R, Lightfoot M, Smith D, Nicolay L, Ruckle H, Baldwin DD. Postoperative cystogram findings predict incontinence following robot-assisted radical prostatectomy. J Endourol. 2014 Dec;28(12):1460-1463. Pubmedid: 25380408.
- Lightfoot M, Li R, Alsyouf M, Nicolay L, Chamberlin D. Transurethral needle biopsy: a novel technique for pathologic diagnosis of bladder tumors in children. J Pediatr Urol. 2014 Dec;10(6):1280-1282. Pubmedid: 25082712.
- Lightfoot M, Ng C, Engebretsen S, Wallner C, Huang G, Li R, Alsyouf M, Olgin G, Smith JC, Baldwin DD. Analgesic use and complications following upper pole access for percutaneous nephrolithotomy. J Endourol. 2014 Aug;28(8):909-914. Pubmedid: 24548123.
- Blair B, Huang G, Arnold D, Li R, Schlaifer A, Anderson K, Engebretsen S, Wallner C, Olgin G, Baldwin DD. Reduced fluoroscopy protocol for percutaneous nephrostolithotomy: feasibility, outcomes and effects on fluoroscopy time. J Urol. 2013 Dec;190(6):2112-2116. Pubmedid: 23764072.
- Li R, Louie MK, Lee HJ, Osann K, Pick DL, Santos R, McDougall EM, Clayman RV. Prospective randomized trial of three different methods of nephrostomy tract closure after percutaneous nephrolithotripsy. BJU Int. 2011 May;107(10):1660-1665. Pubmedid: 20973909.
- Arellano-Garcia ME, Li R, Liu X, Xie Y, Yan X, Loo JA, Hu S. Identification of tetranectin as a potential biomarker for metastatic oral cancer. Int J Mol Sci. 2010 Sep;11(9):3106-3121. Pubmedid: 20957082. Pmcid: PMC2956083.
- Kolla SB, Gamboa AJ, Li R, Santos RT, Gan JM, Shell C, Andrade L, Louie MK, Clayman RV, McDougall EM. Impact of a laparoscopic renal surgery mini-fellowship program on postgraduate urologist practice patterns at 3-year followup. J Urol. 2010 Nov;184(5):2089-2093. Pubmedid: 20850830.
- Liss MA, Osann K, Canvasser N, Chu W, Chang A, Gan J, Li R, Santos R, Skarecky D, Finley DS, Ahlering TE. Continence definition after radical prostatectomy using urinary quality of life: evaluation of patient reported validated questionnaires. J Urol. 2010 Apr;183(4):1464-1468. Pubmedid: 20171689.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.