Notice to Our Patients Regarding a Stolen Briefcase. Learn More
Your Merkel Cell Carcinoma Specialists
Merkel cell carcinoma is a complex condition to treat, but the specialists within Moffitt Cancer Center’s Cutaneous Oncology Program have extensive experience in dealing with challenging cancers. We have a comprehensive team of nonmelanoma skin cancer doctors, each one specializing in a unique aspect of the field. Together, this team leverages their collective experience to evaluate all potential options and recommend the one that holds the most promise for each patient.
At Moffitt, our skin cancer treatment team includes:
- Dermatologists, who evaluate suspicious lesions, recommend treatments and provide preventive care guidelines to help prevent future skin cancers
- Medical oncologists, who develop chemotherapy prescriptions, and oncology nurses, who administer the medications
- Radiation oncologists, who provide radiation therapy with the assistance of radiation therapists, medical physicists and dosimetrists
- Surgeons, who surgically remove skin cancer lesions
- Plastic surgeons, who help enhance functional and aesthetic outcomes after the removal of a tumor
And, making it possible for our doctors to recommend the most appropriate treatments for each patient’s unique needs is a team of diagnostic specialists, including radiologists and pathologists who provide in-depth information regarding the cell type and stage of each patient’s tumor. After laying the groundwork for individualized treatment, our diagnostic doctors also provide ongoing surveillance to monitor each patient’s response to therapy.
There are numerous advantages to working with the Moffitt team of Merkel cell carcinoma specialists as compared to just one medical professional. For instance, because each doctor focuses solely on a specific aspect of treatment, they develop highly refined techniques that they can put into practice on a daily basis. As such, many of Moffitt’s oncologists are regarded as true leaders in their fields. Our skin cancer specialists are widely published in scientific journals, and their contributions are often sought when developing new evidence-based pathways and best practices for the treatment of Merkel cell carcinoma.
Additionally, our collaborative approach means that we consider each patient’s case from several different angles. This ultimately allows us to produce comprehensive treatment plans that are individualized for the best possible outcomes and quality of life.
If you’d like to schedule an appointment with one of our Merkel cell carcinoma specialists, call 1-888-663-3488 or submit a new patient registration form online. You do not need to ask a physician for a referral.