Find a Doctor
Cancer Focus: Basal Cell Carcinoma , Cutaneous Lymphoma (CTCL), Melanoma , Merkel Cell Carcinoma , Skin Cancer (Nonmelanoma) , Squamous Cell Carcinoma
Dr. Pei-Ling Chen is an Assistant Member of the Department of Anatomic Pathology at Moffitt Cancer Center. Dr. Chen received her MD from the Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University and PhD in Neuroscience from Stanford University, Department of Neurobiology. She completed a residency in anatomic pathology at Washington University in St. Louis and a clinical fellowship in surgical pathology and dermatopathology at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, TX. Dr. Chen also completed a two-year postdoctoral research fellowship in the Department of Genomic Medicine at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. Her practice is primarily in clinical dermatopathology.
Education & Training
- The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center - Surgical Pathology
- The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center - Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, Genomic Medicine
- The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center - Dermatopathology
- Washington University in St. Louis/Barnes-Jewish Hospital - Anatomic Pathology
- The Warren Albert Medical School of Brown University - MD
- Stanford University - PhD
- Gibbs JD, Ma S, Kim A, Seminario-Vidal L, Sokol L, Zhang H, Zhang X, Sagatys E, Chen PL, Messina JL. Utility of flow cytometry and gene rearrangement analysis in tissue and blood of patients with suspected cutaneous T‑cell lymphoma. Oncol Rep. 2021 Jan.45(1):349-358. Pubmedid: 33416132.
- Cohen L, Shah V, Chen PL, Messina J, Seminario-Vidal L. Cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma causing a rhinophymatous mass in a patient with clinically occult hypertrophic lupus erythematosus. Lupus. 2020 May.29(6):644-648. Pubmedid: 32202198.
- Chen PL, Neishaboori N, Tetzlaff MT, Chen WS, Aung PP, Curry JL, Nagarajan P, Ivan D, Hwu WJ, Prieto VG, Torres-Cabala CA. BAP-1 Expression Status by Immunohistochemistry in Cellular Blue Nevus and Blue Nevus-like Melanoma. Am J Dermatopathxxx. 2020 May.42(5):313-321. Pubmedid: 32310893.
- Muradova E, Patel N, Chen PL, Seminario-Vidal L. Cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma arising within a mycosis fungoides patch: Case report and review of the literature. JAAD Case Rep. 2020 Dec.6(12):1288-1290. Pubmedid: 33294566. Pmcid: PMC7701026.
- Malachowski SJ, Sun J, Chen PL, Seminario-Vidal L. Diagnosis and Management of Cutaneous B-Cell Lymphomas. Dermatol Clin. 2019 Oct.37(4):443-454. Pubmedid: 31466585.
- Cohen L, Chen PL, Zhang L, Sokol L, Seminario-Vidal L. Skin-first nodulotumoral adult T-cell lymphoma mimicking cutaneous T-cell lymphoma. JAAD Case Rep. 2019 Aug.5(8):650-652. Pubmedid: 31388529. Pmcid: PMC6677771.
- Romano G, Chen PL, Song P, McQuade JL, Liang RJ, Liu M, Roh W, Duose DY, Carapeto FCL, Li J, Teh JLF, Aplin AE, Chen M, Zhang J, Lazar AJ, Davies MA, Futreal PA, Amaria RN, Zhang DY, Wargo JA, Kwong LN. A Preexisting Rare Subpopulation Confers Clinical Resistance to MEK plus CDK4/6 Inhibition in Melanoma and Is Dependent on S6K1 Signaling. Cancer Discov. 2018 May.8(5):556-567. Pubmedid: 29496665. Pmcid: PMC5932238.
- Boddu P, Chen PL, Nagarajan P, Prieto VG, Won A, Chambers M, Kornblau S. Necrotizing fungal gingivitis in a patient with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia: visible yet obscure. J Oral Maxillofac Surg Med Pathol. 2018 Jan.30(1):50-54. Pubmedid: 29404266. Pmcid: PMC5796543.
- Gopalakrishnan V, Spencer CN, Nezi L, Reuben A, Andrews MC, Karpinets TV, Prieto PA, Vicente D, Hoffman K, Wei SC, Cogdill AP, Zhao L, Hudgens CW, Hutchinson DS, Manzo T, Petaccia de Macedo M, Cotechini T, Kumar T, Chen WS, Reddy SM, Szczepaniak Sloane R, Galloway-Pena J, Jiang H, Chen PL, Shpall EJ, Rezvani K, Alousi AM, Chemaly RF, Shelburne S, Vence LM, Okhuysen PC, Jensen VB, Swennes AG, McAllister F, Marcelo Riquelme Sanchez E, Zhang Y, Le Chatelier E, Zitvogel L, Pons N, Austin-Breneman JL, Haydu LE, Burton EM, Gardner JM, Sirmans E, Hu J, Lazar AJ, Tsujikawa T, Diab A, Tawbi H, Glitza IC, Hwu WJ, Patel SP, Woodman SE, Amaria RN, Davies MA, Gershenwald JE, Hwu P, Lee JE, Zhang J, Coussens LM, Cooper ZA, Futreal PA, Daniel CR, Ajami NJ, Petrosino JF, Tetzlaff MT, Sharma P, Allison JP, Jenq RR, Wargo JA. Gut microbiome modulates response to anti-PD-1 immunotherapy in melanoma patients. Science. 2018 Jan.359(6371):97-103. Pubmedid: 29097493. Pmcid: PMC5827966.
- Roh W, Chen PL, Reuben A, Spencer CN, Prieto PA, Miller JP, Gopalakrishnan V, Wang F, Cooper ZA, Reddy SM, Gumbs C, Little L, Chang Q, Chen WS, Wani K, De Macedo MP, Chen E, Austin-Breneman JL, Jiang H, Roszik J, Tetzlaff MT, Davies MA, Gershenwald JE, Tawbi H, Lazar AJ, Hwu P, Hwu WJ, Diab A, Glitza IC, Patel SP, Woodman SE, Amaria RN, Prieto VG, Hu J, Sharma P, Allison JP, Chin L, Zhang J, Wargo JA, Futreal PA. Integrated molecular analysis of tumor biopsies on sequential CTLA-4 and PD-1 blockade reveals markers of response and resistance. Sci Transl Med. 2017 Mar.9(379). Pubmedid: 28251903. Pmcid: PMC5819607.
- Gao J, Shi LZ, Zhao H, Chen J, Xiong L, He Q, Chen T, Roszik J, Bernatchez C, Woodman SE, Chen PL, Hwu P, Allison JP, Futreal A, Wargo JA, Sharma P. Loss of IFN-γ Pathway Genes in Tumor Cells as a Mechanism of Resistance to Anti-CTLA-4 Therapy. Cell. 2016 Oct.167(2):397-404.e9. Pubmedid: 27667683. Pmcid: PMC5088716.
- Feldmeyer L, Hudgens CW, Ray-Lyons G, Nagarajan P, Aung PP, Curry JL, Torres-Cabala CA, Mino B, Rodriguez-Canales J, Reuben A, Chen PL, Ko JS, Billings SD, Bassett RL, Wistuba II, Cooper ZA, Prieto VG, Wargo JA, Tetzlaff MT. Density, Distribution, and Composition of Immune Infiltrates Correlate with Survival in Merkel Cell Carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2016 Nov.22(22):5553-5563. Pubmedid: 27166398. Pmcid: PMC5857157.
- Peng W, Chen JQ, Liu C, Malu S, Creasy C, Tetzlaff MT, Xu C, McKenzie JA, Zhang C, Liang X, Williams LJ, Deng W, Chen G, Mbofung R, Lazar AJ, Torres-Cabala CA, Cooper ZA, Chen PL, Tieu TN, Spranger S, Yu X, Bernatchez C, Forget MA, Haymaker C, Amaria R, McQuade JL, Glitza IC, Cascone T, Li HS, Kwong LN, Heffernan TP, Hu J, Bassett RL, Bosenberg MW, Woodman SE, Overwijk WW, Lizée G, Roszik J, Gajewski TF, Wargo JA, Gershenwald JE, Radvanyi L, Davies MA, Hwu P. Loss of PTEN Promotes Resistance to T Cell-Mediated Immunotherapy. Cancer Discov. 2016 Feb.6(2):202-216. Pubmedid: 26645196. Pmcid: PMC4744499.
- Chen PL, Roh W, Reuben A, Cooper ZA, Spencer CN, Prieto PA, Miller JP, Bassett RL, Gopalakrishnan V, Wani K, De Macedo MP, Austin-Breneman JL, Jiang H, Chang Q, Reddy SM, Chen WS, Tetzlaff MT, Broaddus RJ, Davies MA, Gershenwald JE, Haydu L, Lazar AJ, Patel SP, Hwu P, Hwu WJ, Diab A, Glitza IC, Woodman SE, Vence LM, Wistuba II, Amaria RN, Kwong LN, Prieto V, Davis RE, Ma W, Overwijk WW, Sharpe AH, Hu J, Futreal PA, Blando J, Sharma P, Allison JP, Chin L, Wargo JA. Analysis of Immune Signatures in Longitudinal Tumor Samples Yields Insight into Biomarkers of Response and Mechanisms of Resistance to Immune Checkpoint Blockade. Cancer Discov. 2016 Aug.6(8):827-837. Pubmedid: 27301722. Pmcid: PMC5082984.
- Chen WS, Chen PL, Lu D, Lind AC, Dehner LP. Growth-associated protein 43 in differentiating peripheral nerve sheath tumors from other non-neural spindle cell neoplasms. Mod Pathol. 2014 Feb.27(2):184-193. Pubmedid: 23887302.
- Martz CA, Ottina KA, Singleton KR, Jasper JS, Wardell SE, Peraza-Penton A, Anderson GR, Winter PS, Wang T, Alley HM, Kwong LN, Cooper ZA, Tetzlaff M, Chen PL, Rathmell JC, Flaherty KT, Wargo JA, McDonnell DP, Sabatini DM, Wood KC. Systematic identification of signaling pathways with potential to confer anticancer drug resistance. Sci Signal. 2014 Dec.7(357):ra121. Pubmedid: 25538079. Pmcid: PMC4353587.
- Chen WS, Chen PL, Li J, Lind AC, Lu D. Lipid synthesis and processing proteins ABHD5, PGRMC1 and squalene synthase can serve as novel immunohistochemical markers for sebaceous neoplasms and differentiate sebaceous carcinoma from sebaceoma and basal cell carcinoma with clear cell features. J Cutan Pathol. 2013 Jul.40(7):631-638. Pubmedid: 23557589.
- Chen PL, Chen WS, Li J, Lind AC, Lu D. Diagnostic utility of neural stem and progenitor cell markers nestin and SOX2 in distinguishing nodal melanocytic nevi from metastatic melanomas. Mod Pathol. 2013 Jan.26(1):44-53. Pubmedid: 22899289.
- Chen PL, Clandinin TR. The cadherin Flamingo mediates level-dependent interactions that guide photoreceptor target choice in Drosophila. Neuron. 2008 Apr.58(1):26-33. Pubmedid: 18400160. Pmcid: PMC2494600.
- Bazigou E, Apitz H, Johansson J, Lorén CE, Hirst EM, Chen PL, Palmer RH, Salecker I. Anterograde Jelly belly and Alk receptor tyrosine kinase signaling mediates retinal axon targeting in Drosophila. Cell. 2007 Mar.128(5):961-975. Pubmedid: 17350579.
- Mast JD, Prakash S, Chen PL, Clandinin TR. The mechanisms and molecules that connect photoreceptor axons to their targets in Drosophila. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2006 Feb.17(1):42-49. Pubmedid: 16337412.
- Lee RC, Clandinin TR, Lee CH, Chen PL, Meinertzhagen IA, Zipursky SL. The protocadherin Flamingo is required for axon target selection in the Drosophila visual system. Nat Neurosci. 2003 Jun.6(6):557-563. Pubmedid: 12754514.
Title: Identify biomarkers of response and resistance to mogamulizumab in advanced cutaneous T-cell lymphoma
Sponsor: Moffitt Cancer Center
PI: Chen, P.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.