Ovarian Cancer Clinical Trials
Ovarian cancer clinical trials provide new ways to prevent, diagnose and treat ovarian cancer. To accomplish this, eligible patients who agree to participate are given opportunities to try promising new drugs, treatment approaches or advances in new areas, such as gene therapy. As a pioneer in cancer research, Moffitt Cancer Center is the only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center based in Florida. We offer our patients outstanding treatment options, including access to a wide range of innovative clinical trials for ovarian and other types of cancer.
If a physician at Moffitt suggests a clinical trial as a treatment option, the physician will help the patient make an educated decision on whether it is right for her. This process, which is known as informed consent, involves learning the details of the trial and gaining a full understanding of what it will entail. For example, if a patient is considering joining one of our ovarian cancer clinical trials, she will be provided with information on:
- The purpose of the trial
- The procedures involved, including the frequency and timing of testing, physician visits and any required hospitalization
- How the treatment under study might help her
- The risks and benefits of participation
- Possible side effects
- All treatment options that are currently available to her
- What she can expect if she does or does not participate
- How her participation might affect her everyday life
- Her right to leave the study and pursue other treatments at any time, even after signing an informed consent form
Clinical trials offer patients the opportunity to be among the first to benefit from new drugs and treatment approaches. Additionally, they are vital to the advancement of the medical field. These research studies provide the evidence physicians need to improve the care of cancer patients. In fact, all of the effective cancer treatments that are available today are based on the results of past clinical trials.
To learn more about the ovarian cancer clinical trials being conducted by the cancer experts at Moffitt, call 1-888-MOFFITT or schedule an appointment online. Our physicians are available to consult with you with or without a referral.