COVID-19 Safety Precautions: Find the Latest Visitor and Mask Policies. Learn More
Your Melanoma Specialists
At Moffitt Cancer Center, we have an expert team of melanoma specialists within our Cutaneous Oncology Program who have dedicated their careers to studying and providing skin cancer treatment. Our renowned physicians have seen hundreds of unique cases, each one providing them with greater insight into the way melanoma can best be treated – and in many cases, even cured.
One of the key reasons that patients choose Moffitt is that, in a single location, they are able to access numerous doctors with wide-ranging areas of expertise. Here, we believe that we are strongest when we work together. Our collaborative team of melanoma specialists includes:
- Surgical oncologists, who specialize in removing melanomas from the skin (and other nearby tissues, if the cancer has metastasized) while preserving as much healthy tissue as possible
- Plastic surgeons, who perform reconstructive procedures if large sections of skin are removed during surgical treatment
- Dermatologists, who specialize in examining the skin for signs of cancer, and also provide preventive care recommendations to reduce the likelihood of additional malignancies
- Medical oncologists, who design chemotherapy prescriptions to destroy cancerous cells while also helping patients manage the side effects of chemotherapy
- Radiation oncologists, who plan and administer radiation therapy sessions
- Pathologists, who analyze tissue samples, confirm or rule out melanoma diagnoses and provide detailed information regarding the cellular makeup of each patient’s cancer
- Radiologists, who review imaging scans during the diagnostic process (to determine how far a cancer has spread) and at regular intervals throughout treatment (to monitor a patient’s response to therapy)
Our melanoma specialists are also highly involved with ongoing research, including the development of new skin cancer treatments and the analysis of genetic risk factors. As a result, our doctors are widely recognized by their peers as leaders in the field, and a number of our team members have been awarded national grants to further their research.