Notice to Our Patients Regarding a Stolen Briefcase. Learn More
Find a Doctor
Trad Wadsworth, MD, MBA
Vice Chair, Department of Head and Neck-Endocrine OncologySpecialty: Head and Neck Surgery
Program: Head and Neck Oncology
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Cancer Focus: Esophageal Cancer , Head and Neck Cancer , Melanoma , Neuroendocrine Tumor , Oral Cavity or Throat Cancer , Sarcoma , Skin Cancer (Nonmelanoma) , Throat Cancer, Thyroid Cancer
Dr. Wadsworth is a head and neck surgeon at Moffitt Cancer Center. He graduated from University of South Florida College of Medicine and completed an Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery Residency at Eastern Virginia Medical School followed by a Head and Neck Oncologic and Microvascular Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship at the University of Washington. He was an Associate Professor at Eastern Virginia Medical School and at Emory University School of Medicine, where he served as Vice Chairman of the Department of Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery. In October 2016, he relocated to Moffitt Cancer Center as Senior Member and Vice Chair of the Department of Head and Neck-Endocrine Oncology, Chief of Head and Neck Surgical Services, and the Head and Neck Surgical Fellowship Director. He recently became the department’s Clinical Director. Dr. Wadsworth’s clinical interests focus on ablative and reconstruction surgery for head and neck cancer, parotid, thyroid and parathyroid surgery, as well as robotic surgery in the head and neck (TORS).
Education & Training
- University of Washington - Head & Neck Oncologic and Micoscopic/Reconstructive Surgery
- Eastern Virginia Medical School - General Surgery
- Eastern Virginia Medical School - Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
- University of South Florida College of MedicineMD
- Martin-Gomez L, Giuliano AR, Fulp WJ, Caudell J, Echevarria M, Sirak B, Abrahamsen M, Isaacs-Soriano KA, Hernandez-Prera JC, Wenig BM, Vorwald K, McMullen CP, Wadsworth JT, Slebos RJ, Chung CH. Human Papillomavirus Genotype Detection in Oral Gargle Samples Among Men With Newly Diagnosed Oropharyngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2019 May.145(5):460-466. Pubmedid: 30920604. Pmcid: PMC6537790.
- de la Iglesia JV, Slebos RJ, Martin-Gomez L, Wang X, Teer JK, Tan AC, Gerke TA, Aden-Buie G, Van Veen T, Masannat J, Chaudhary R, Song F, Fournier M, Siegel EM, Schabath MB, Wadsworth JT, Caudell JJ, Harrison LB, Wenig B, Conejo-Garcia JR, Hernandez-Prera JC, Chung CH. Effects of Tobacco Smoking on the Tumor Immune Microenvironment in Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2019 Dec.26(6):1474-1485. Pubmedid: 31848186. Pmcid: PMC7073297.
- Valderrabano P, Khazai L, Thompson ZJ, Sharpe SC, Tarasova VD, Otto KJ, Hallanger-Johnson JE, Wadsworth JT, Wenig BM, Chung CH, Centeno BA, McIver B. Cancer Risk Associated with Nuclear Atypia in Cytologically Indeterminate Thyroid Nodules: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Thyroid. 2018 Feb.28(2):210-219. Pubmedid: 29160163.
- Valderrabano P, Khazai L, Thompson ZJ, Leon ME, Otto KJ, Hallanger-Johnson JE, Wadsworth JT, Chung CH, Centeno BA, McIver B. Impact of oncogene panel results on surgical management of cytologically indeterminate thyroid nodules. Head Neck. 2018 Aug.40(8):1812-1823. Pubmedid: 29624786.
- Valderrabano P, Khazai L, Thompson ZJ, Leon ME, Otto KJ, Hallanger-Johnson JE, Wadsworth JT, Wenig BM, Chung CH, Centeno BA, McIver B. Cancer Risk Stratification of Indeterminate Thyroid Nodules: A Cytological Approach. Thyroid. 2017 Oct.27(10):1277-1284. Pubmedid: 28806881. Pmcid: PMC6112164.
- Hanasoge S, Magliocca KR, Switchenko JM, Saba NF, Wadsworth JT, El-Deiry MW, Shin DM, Khuri F, Beitler JJ, Higgins KA. Clinical outcomes in elderly patients with human papillomavirus-positive squamous cell carcinoma of the oropharynx treated with definitive chemoradiation therapy. Head Neck. 2016 Jun.38(6):846-851. Pubmedid: 25899391. Pmcid: PMC4959784.
- Marcus DM, Jiang R, Ward KC, Higgins KA, Saba NF, Wadsworth JT, Beitler JJ. Impact of neck failure on survival in older patients with differentiated thyroid cancer. Head Neck. 2016 Jun.38(6):919-924. Pubmedid: 26874073.
- Kendi AT, Corey A, Magliocca KR, Galt JR, Zhang C, Chen Z, Higgins K, Beitler JJ, Wadsworth JT, El-Deiry MW, Schuster DM, Saba NF, Hudgins PA. Is there a role for PET/CT parameters to differentiate thyroid cartilage invasion from penetration?. Eur J Radiol. 2016 Feb.85(2):319-323. Pubmedid: 26781136. Pmcid: PMC5793913.
- Alam S, Volsky PG, Wadsworth JT, Karakla DW. Consideration of Submandibular (Undescended) Ectopic Parathyroid Glands in Surgery and Localization Studies. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2015 Oct.141(10):943-944. Pubmedid: 26426476.
- Kendi AT, Magliocca K, Corey A, Nickleach DC, Galt J, Higgins K, Beitler JJ, El-Deiry MW, Wadsworth JT, Hudgins PA, Saba NF, Schuster DM. Do 18F-FDG PET/CT parameters in oropharyngeal and oral cavity squamous cell carcinomas indicate HPV status?. Clin Nucl Med. 2015 Mar.40(3):e196-e200. Pubmedid: 25608156. Pmcid: PMC4360134.
- Kendi AT, Corey A, Magliocca KR, Nickleach DC, Galt J, Switchenko JM, El-Deiry MW, Wadsworth JT, Hudgins PA, Saba NF, Schuster DM. 18F-FDG-PET/CT parameters as imaging biomarkers in oral cavity squamous cell carcinoma, is visual analysis of PET and contrast enhanced CT better than the numbers?. Eur J Radiol. 2015 Jun.84(6):1171-1176. Pubmedid: 25816993. Pmcid: PMC4927192.
- Prabhu RS, Hanasoge S, Magliocca KR, Hall WA, Chen SA, Higgins KA, Saba NF, El-Deiry M, Grist W, Wadsworth JT, Chen AY, Beitler JJ. Lymph node ratio influence on risk of head and neck cancer locoregional recurrence after initial surgical resection: implications for adjuvant therapy. Head Neck. 2015 Jun.37(6):777-782. Pubmedid: 24596123.
- Pohar S, Demarcantonio M, Whiting P, Crandley E, Wadsworth J, Karakla D. Percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy tube dependence following chemoradiation in head and neck cancer patients. Laryngoscope. 2015 Jun.125(6):1366-1371. Pubmedid: 25647161.
- Joseph LJ, Goodman M, Higgins K, Pilai R, Ramalingam SS, Magliocca K, Patel MR, El-Deiry M, Wadsworth JT, Owonikoko TK, Beitler JJ, Khuri FR, Shin DM, Saba NF. Racial disparities in squamous cell carcinoma of the oral tongue among women: a SEER data analysis. Oral Oncol. 2015 Jun.51(6):586-592. Pubmedid: 25865553.
- White LJ, Zhang H, Strickland KF, El-Deiry MW, Patel MR, Wadsworth JT, Chen AY. Factors Associated With Hospital Length of Stay Following Fibular Free-Tissue Reconstruction of Head and Neck Defects: Assessment Using the American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (ACS NSQIP) Criteria. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2015 Dec.141(12):1052-1058. Pubmedid: 25905986.
- Jegadeesh N, Liu Y, Prabhu RS, Magliocca KR, Marcus DM, Higgins KA, Vainshtein JM, Trad Wadsworth J, Beitler JJ. Outcomes and prognostic factors in modern era management of major salivary gland cancer. Oral Oncol. 2015 Aug.51(8):770-777. Pubmedid: 26033470. Pmcid: PMC4515354.
- Prabhu RS, Hanasoge S, Magliocca KR, Moeller BJ, Milas ZL, Hall WA, El-Deiry M, Wadsworth JT, Higgins KA, Beitler JJ. Extent of pathologic extracapsular extension and outcomes in patients with nonoropharyngeal head and neck cancer treated with initial surgical resection. Cancer. 2014 May.120(10):1499-1506. Pubmedid: 24510454.
- Saba NF, Hurwitz SJ, Magliocca K, Kim S, Owonikoko TK, Harvey D, Ramalingam SS, Chen Z, Rogerio J, Mendel J, Kono SA, Lewis C, Chen AY, Higgins K, El-Deiry M, Wadsworth T, Beitler JJ, Shin DM, Sun SY, Khuri FR. Phase 1 and pharmacokinetic study of everolimus in combination with cetuximab and carboplatin for recurrent/metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Cancer. 2014 Dec.120(24):3940-3951. Pubmedid: 25103371.
- Kats SS, Muller S, Aiken A, Hudgins PA, Wadsworth JT, Shin DM, Khuri F, Beitler JJ. Laryngeal tumor volume as a predictor for thyroid cartilage penetration. Head Neck. 2013 Mar.35(3):426-430. Pubmedid: 22488941.
- Smallridge RC, Copland JA, Brose MS, Wadsworth JT, Houvras Y, Menefee ME, Bible KC, Shah MH, Gramza AW, Klopper JP, Marlow LA, Heckman MG, Von Roemeling R. Efatutazone, an oral PPAR-γ agonist, in combination with paclitaxel in anaplastic thyroid cancer: results of a multicenter phase 1 trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013 Jun.98(6):2392-2400. Pubmedid: 23589525. Pmcid: PMC3667260.
- Ansa B, Goodman M, Ward K, Kono SA, Owonikoko TK, Higgins K, Beitler JJ, Grist W, Wadsworth T, El-Deiry M, Chen AY, Khuri FR, Shin DM, Saba NF. Paranasal sinus squamous cell carcinoma incidence and survival based on Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results data, 1973 to 2009. Cancer. 2013 Jul.119(14):2602-2610. Pubmedid: 23674262.
- Ellington CL, Goodman M, Kono SA, Grist W, Wadsworth T, Chen AY, Owonikoko T, Ramalingam S, Shin DM, Khuri FR, Beitler JJ, Saba NF. Adenoid cystic carcinoma of the head and neck: Incidence and survival trends based on 1973-2007 Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results data. Cancer. 2012 Sep.118(18):4444-4451. Pubmedid: 22294420.
- Higgins TS, Gupta R, Ketcham AS, Sataloff RT, Wadsworth JT, Sinacori JT. Recurrent laryngeal nerve monitoring versus identification alone on post-thyroidectomy true vocal fold palsy: a meta-analysis. Laryngoscope. 2011 May.121(5):1009-1017. Pubmedid: 21520117.
- Saba NF, Goodman M, Ward K, Flowers C, Ramalingam S, Owonikoko T, Chen A, Grist W, Wadsworth T, Beitler JJ, Khuri FR, Shin DM. Gender and ethnic disparities in incidence and survival of squamous cell carcinoma of the oral tongue, base of tongue, and tonsils: a surveillance, epidemiology and end results program-based analysis. Oncology-Basel. 2011 Dec.81(1):12-20. Pubmedid: 21912193. Pmcid: PMC3186716.
- Marlow LA, D'Innocenzi J, Zhang Y, Rohl SD, Cooper SJ, Sebo T, Grant C, McIver B, Kasperbauer JL, Wadsworth JT, Casler JD, Kennedy PW, Highsmith WE, Clark O, Milosevic D, Netzel B, Cradic K, Arora S, Beaudry C, Grebe SK, Silverberg ML, Azorsa DO, Smallridge RC, Copland JA. Detailed molecular fingerprinting of four new anaplastic thyroid carcinoma cell lines and their use for verification of RhoB as a molecular therapeutic target. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010 Dec.95(12):5338-5347. Pubmedid: 20810568. Pmcid: PMC2999968.
- Marlow LA, Reynolds LA, Cleland AS, Cooper SJ, Gumz ML, Kurakata S, Fujiwara K, Zhang Y, Sebo T, Grant C, McIver B, Wadsworth JT, Radisky DC, Smallridge RC, Copland JA. Reactivation of suppressed RhoB is a critical step for the inhibition of anaplastic thyroid cancer growth. Cancer Res. 2009 Feb.69(4):1536-1544. Pubmedid: 19208833. Pmcid: PMC2644344.
- Anderson SR, Vaughn A, Karakla D, Wadsworth JT. Effectiveness of surgeon interpretation of technetium tc 99m sestamibi scans in localizing parathyroid adenomas. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2008 Sep.134(9):953-957. Pubmedid: 18794440.
- Freed GL, Cazares LH, Fichandler CE, Fuller TW, Sawyer CA, Stack BC, Schraff S, Semmes OJ, Wadsworth JT, Drake RR. Differential capture of serum proteins for expression profiling and biomarker discovery in pre- and posttreatment head and neck cancer samples. Laryngoscope. 2008 Jan.118(1):61-68. Pubmedid: 18043497.
- Sandhu A, Rao N, Giri S, He F, Karakla D, Wadsworth T, McGaughey D, SilverbergM. Role and extent of neck dissection for persistent nodal disease following chemo-radiotherapy for locally advanced head and neck cancer: how much is enough?. Acta Oncol. 2008.47(5):948-953. Pubmedid: 17906982.
- Drake RR, Cazare LH, Semmes OJ, Wadsworth JT. Serum, salivary and tissue proteomics for discovery of biomarkers for head and neck cancers. Expert Rev Mol Diagn. 2005 Jan.5(1):93-100. Pubmedid: 15723595.
- Wadsworth JT, Somers KD, Cazares LH, Malik G, Adam BL, Stack BC, Wright GL, Semmes OJ. Serum protein profiles to identify head and neck cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2004 Mar.10(5):1625-1632. Pubmedid: 15014013.
- Wadsworth JT, Somers KD, Stack BC, Cazares L, Malik G, Adam BL, Wright GL, Semmes OJ. Identification of patients with head and neck cancer using serum protein profiles. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2004 Jan.130(1):98-104. Pubmedid: 14732777.
- Futran ND, Wadsworth JT, Villaret D, Farwell DG. Midface reconstruction with the fibula free flap. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2002 Feb.128(2):161-166. Pubmedid: 11843725.
- Wadsworth JT, Futran N, Eubanks TR. Laparoscopic harvest of the jejunal free flap for reconstruction of hypopharyngeal and cervical esophageal defects. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2002 Dec.128(12):1384-1387. Pubmedid: 12479725.
- Derkay CS, Wadsworth JT, Darrow DH, Strasnick B, Thompson GK, O'Master J. Tube placement: a prospective, randomized double-blind study. Laryngoscope. 1998 Jan.108(1 Pt 1):97-101. Pubmedid: 9432075.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.