Your Kidney Cancer Specialists
At Moffitt Cancer Center, patients can consult with a kidney cancer specialist to evaluate their options and plan for the months ahead. Our specialists exclusively treat kidney cancer, giving them the insight necessary to comprehensively treat this unique condition. And, because we offer a variety of services in a single location, it’s convenient for our patients to consult with the various members of their treatment teams without having to travel or transfer their medical records from clinic to clinic.
At Moffitt, a patient’s primary kidney cancer specialist is typically a medical oncologist who specializes in medication-based treatments for kidney cancer. This medical professional can make individualized recommendations for chemotherapy, immunotherapy and other options, as well as coordinate additional parts of a patient’s treatment plan with other specialists, such as:
- Surgeons (physicians who remove abnormal tissues from the kidneys)
- Radiation oncologists and radiation therapists (physicians who treat kidney cancer with radiation therapy)
- Nephrologists (physicians who specialize in treating kidney conditions)
- Oncology nurses (medical professionals who administer chemotherapy infusions, pain management medications and other treatments)
- Social workers (supportive care providers who can enhance a patient’s emotional and social health throughout cancer treatment and recovery)
Not only is Moffitt a comprehensive treatment center with a number of specialized medical professionals working together on behalf of our patients, but we are also a leading-edge research institute that is home to some of the nation’s most robust kidney cancer research programs. Each kidney cancer specialist on our team is actively involved in investigating the newest and most promising treatments, as well as the most effective ways to use them. What we learn in the lab, we use to improve our treatment plans, in turn enhancing patient outcomes and quality of life.