MDS treatment can vary from one individual to the next. Patients with low-risk syndromes may require only careful observation, while patients with higher-risk syndromes or more severe complications may need a combination of chemotherapy, blood transfusions and other therapies. However, the ultimate goal of any treatment is to increase the number of healthy cells in the bloodstream while destroying as many abnormal cells as possible. At Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, Florida, we take an individualized approach to MDS treatment, providing each patient with tailored recommendations based on his or her unique needs.
Taking evidence-based best practices into consideration, our hematologists and oncologists may recommend any of the following treatment options for a patient who is diagnosed with MDS:
- Watchful waiting, which involves regular bloodwork and symptom assessment, but no treatment until the condition progresses or a patient’s symptoms begin to interfere with his or her quality of life
- Chemotherapy, in which one or more medications (such as decitabine and azacitidine) are administered intravenously to destroy abnormal cells
- Blood transfusions to replace one or more deficient blood components (e.g., red blood cells or platelets)
- Stem cell transplantations, which are considered to be a potentially curative treatment for many forms of MDS
- Injectable medications (such as erythropoietin and granulocyte colony-stimulating factor) to support increased red or white blood cell production
Additionally, as a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, Moffitt has an active hematology/oncology research program that focuses on developing new and more effective treatment options for MDS. Patients from Tampa and other nearby areas can access novel therapies, including new medications and supportive care options, through our clinical trials.
To request an appointment for an MDS treatment consultation at Moffitt, call 1-888-663-3488 or submit a new patient registration form online. We welcome patients from Tampa, Florida, and all other surrounding areas, and no referral is ever necessary.