Mesothelioma Treatment Options at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL
Mesothelioma treatment is available at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, Florida. Our Thoracic Oncology Program consists of a multispecialty team of experts, including medical oncologists, surgeons, radiation oncologists, pathologists and other professionals who are all dedicated to treating mesothelioma. This team meets weekly as a tumor board to review each case and develop a highly individualized treatment plan that best serves the needs of the patient. Moffitt’s Mesothelioma Research and Treatment Center has helped countless patients achieve a successful outcome and enjoy a higher quality of life.
Treatment for mesothelioma often involves surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy or a combination of these options. Some of the many treatment options we offer at Moffitt include:
- Extrapleural pneumonectomy (EPP) – surgery to remove an entire lung
- Pleurectomy/decortication – surgery to remove the tumor and part of the lining of the lung
- Intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) – radiation therapy that is tailored to change in intensity based on the shape of the tumor
- Tomotherapy – IMRT that uses CT scanning for increased accuracy
- Brachytherapy – radiation therapy in which radioactive "seeds" are placed internally in the tumor or near it to deliver a localized dose
- Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) – heated chemotherapy drugs that are delivered directly inside the abdomen during surgery, once the tumor has been removed
Moffitt is committed to continually researching new and innovative treatment options for mesothelioma. Through our robust clinical trial program, we are able to offer novel treatments such as immunotherapy and combination therapies that are not readily available elsewhere. Because of our research efforts, we are the only cancer center based in Florida to have earned the designation of Comprehensive Cancer Center from the National Cancer Institute.
Moffitt offers all of its treatment and supportive care services under a single roof at our cancer center in Tampa, FL. Our patients don’t need to travel to different offices to receive lab tests, scans or postoperative care. This added convenience allows our patients to receive mesothelioma treatment in comfort and focus on what matters most – getting better.
If you’d like to explore your options for mesothelioma treatment at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL, call 1-888-MOFFITT or fill out a new patient registration form online. We do not require a referral to schedule an appointment.