The latest breakthroughs in lung cancer treatment are available to residents of West Palm Beach, Florida, at Moffitt Cancer Center in nearby Tampa. Patients within our Thoracic Oncology Program benefit from the expertise of a multispecialty treatment team that includes pulmonary specialists, thoracic surgeons, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, physician scientists and other experts who focus exclusively on malignancies affecting the lungs. Moffitt is a high-volume cancer center, which means our physicians have a unique level of experience treating complex and uncommon cancers – experience that can make all the difference when it comes to achieving a positive outcome and an enhanced quality of life.
Moffitt’s tumor board collaborates with treatment teams to develop individualized treatment plans for each of our patients. The ideal course of lung cancer treatment will depend on several factors, such as the stage and cellular makeup of the cancer and the overall health of the patient, but treatment plans may include a combination of:
- Chemotherapy to destroy quickly dividing cancer cells that may not be removable through surgery.
- Radiation therapy to eliminate cancer cells through direct contact with an exterior or interior radiation source.
- Surgery to remove tumors, minimal amounts of surrounding tissue and/or affected lymph nodes.
- Immunotherapy to strengthen the immune system and promote the natural elimination of cancer cells.
- Radiofrequency ablation to destroy cancer cells through targeted heat application.
- Photodynamic therapy to sensitize cancer cells to light and eliminate them with a laser.
Moffitt also spearheads a robust clinical trial program and leading-edge research initiatives to discover new breakthroughs in treatment. As a result of our efforts, Moffitt has been designated as a Comprehensive Cancer Center by the National Cancer Institute, the only one based in Florida.
If you are traveling from West Palm Beach, FL, to receive lung cancer treatment at Moffitt, you are encouraged to take advantage of discounted rates with our partner hotels. These hotels are located near our cancer center and are committed to providing a comfortable, hospitable and hygienic place for patients and their families to enjoy time together.
Reviewed by a Moffitt Cancer Center medical professional.
Call 1-888-663-3488 or submit a new patient registration form if you live in West Palm Beach, FL, and would like to learn more about lung cancer treatment at Moffitt.