Lung Cancer Treatment for Patients from St. Petersburg, FL
Many patients in St. Petersburg, Florida, have sought lung cancer treatment at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa. As a high-volume cancer center, Moffitt is at the forefront of lung cancer research and treatment. Our multispecialty team of experts develops an individualized treatment plan for each patient during weekly tumor board meetings, ensuring that our patients receive the care that’s best for them.
The lung cancer treatment plan that our tumor board will recommend for a patient depends on many complex factors, including the type, size and location of the tumor. Some of the most commonly recommended forms of treatment include one or more of the following:
- Chemotherapy – A medication, or combination of several medications, is used to destroy cancer cells by preventing these cells from growing. This medication can be given intravenously (injected into the bloodstream) or orally (swallowed).
- Radiation therapy – High-frequency waves of radioactive energy are used to target and destroy cancer cells. Radiation therapy can be applied externally, through a machine outside of the body, or internally, through the implantation of radioactive pellets inside the body.
- Surgery – A surgeon removes the tumor and surrounding tissue affected by the cancer. Moffitt offers minimally invasive and robot-assisted surgery options in addition to open surgery.
- Photodynamic therapy (PDT) – A unique chemical that is quickly filtered through healthy cells but remains in cancer cells is injected into the bloodstream. A light can then be used to target cancer cells that contain the chemical.
- Radio frequency ablation (RFA) – High-energy radio waves and high-frequency currents are used to heat and destroy cancer cells.
For the convenience of our patients, Moffitt Cancer Center offers comprehensive lung cancer treatment and supportive care services under a single roof. For individuals traveling from out-of-town areas like St. Petersburg, FL, we can also provide assistance with finding local accommodations, if needed, which allow our patients to focus on recovery in comfort.
If you’re interested in exploring your lung cancer treatment options at Moffitt Cancer Center, complete a new patient registration form online or call 1-888-MOFFITT to schedule an appointment. We do not require a referral and welcome patients from St. Petersburg, FL.