Breast MRI at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of a breast can provide a physician with valuable information about a patient’s breast tissue, which can be useful for identifying abnormalities that cannot be detected with other imaging methods, such as mammography and ultrasound. A noninvasive imaging technique that does not expose a patient to radiation, breast MRI has proven to be effective in identifying early-stage breast cancer. In the Don & Erika Wallace Comprehensive Breast Program at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, Florida, we offer a full range of advanced techniques that can be used to diagnose breast cancer, including MRI.
Rather than being a replacement for mammography or ultrasound imaging, breast MRI is often used as a supplemental tool for diagnosing and staging breast cancer. For instance, the experts at Moffitt in Tampa, FL, may recommend a breast MRI to:
- Further evaluate the results of a mammogram
- Screen for breast cancer in women who have very dense breast tissue (which can reduce the likelihood of breast cancer detection through mammography)
- Screen for breast cancer in women who have breast implants or scar tissue (which can affect the accuracy of a mammogram)
- Check the integrity of breast implants
- Assess multiple breast tumors
- Determine whether breast cancer has spread into the chest wall or, after surgery, beyond the surgical site
- Evaluate the effect of chemotherapy
- Provide additional information that is relevant to treatment decisions
In addition to breast MRI, the multispecialty team of experts in Moffitt’s full-service breast clinic offers the latest options in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of all breast-related conditions. Moffitt treats more than 1,000 newly diagnosed breast cancer patients each year, as well as hundreds more who choose Moffitt for treatment when they experience a recurrence. Our breast cancer survival rates consistently exceed the national averages, and we do everything we can to provide our patients with the best possible quality of life.
If you’d like to schedule a breast MRI at Moffitt in Tampa, FL, you do not need a referral. Request an appointment by calling 1-888-663-3488 or completing a new patient registration form online.