COVID-19 Safety Precautions: Find the Latest Visitor and Mask Policies. Learn More
Basal Cell Carcinoma Treatment at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL
Basal cell carcinoma treatment can effectively address — and often eliminate — this type of skin cancer. In the Cutaneous Oncology Program at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL, we offer a complete range of surgical and nonsurgical therapies. To ensure the best possible outcome and quality of life for each patient, our skin cancer specialists create tailored treatment plans that blend evidence-based strategies with individualized recommendations.
Some of the basal cell carcinoma treatment options available at Moffitt in Tampa, Florida, include:
- Cryotherapy – A medical professional freezes a lesion with the application of liquid nitrogen. As the skin heals, the frozen cancerous cells will gradually slough off to reveal the underlying healthy skin.
- Curettage and electrodesiccation – After numbing the treatment site with a local anesthetic, a surgeon scrapes away abnormal tissue with a spoon-shaped instrument (curette), then controls the bleeding and destroys any remaining cancerous cells with an electrosurgical needle.
- Laser surgery – Using a highly focused light beam, a surgeon vaporizes cancerous cells on the skin’s surface.
- Mohs micrographic surgery – A surgeon removes a tumor by cutting away one layer at a time. A pathologist examines each sample under a microscope to look for cancerous cells before the surgeon moves on to the next layer. The surgery is complete when no signs of cancer are detected.
- Surgery – After numbing the treatment area by injecting a local anesthetic, a surgeon excises a tumor from the skin, then closes the surgical wound with stitches.
- Radiation therapy – For a tumor located in an area of the body that is difficult to access, or for a patient who cannot or does not want to have surgery, high-energy particles can be delivered directly to the abnormal tissue to damage and destroy cancerous cells.
- Topical chemotherapy – Creams and lotions containing powerful chemotherapy drugs can be precisely applied to a skin lesion with minimal effect on the surrounding tissue.
Moffitt’s patients also have access to promising new forms of basal cell carcinoma treatment, such as immunotherapy, intralesional therapy, adoptive cell therapy and molecular targeted therapy, which are offered through our robust portfolio of clinical trials. As a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, Moffitt is leading the way in advancing the treatment of all types of cancer, and we have received national recognition for our groundbreaking research efforts.
For more information about basal cell carcinoma treatment at Moffitt Cancer Center, you can request an appointment with a dermatologist or oncologist at our Tampa, FL, location by calling 1-888-663-3488 or completing a new patient registration form online. We accept patients with and without referrals.