Surgery for nonmelanoma skin cancer, including basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma, is regularly performed by the board-certified surgeons at Moffitt Cancer Center, where we offer a full range of treatment options for all types of skin cancer. We are conveniently located just north of St. Petersburg, Florida.
Many people travel to Moffitt from other areas of the state – and the rest of the country – in order to benefit from our individualized treatment plans, advanced surgical techniques and compassionate supportive care. For this reason our extensive experience translates directly to better experiences for our patients. At Moffitt, individuals in the St. Petersburg, FL, area have easy access to an unparalleled level of expertise, whether they require complex skin cancer surgery or other forms of treatment.
In most cases, nonmelanoma skin cancer can be effectively treated with surgery. That’s because most basal cell and squamous cell carcinomas are nonaggressive and remain localized, meaning that they rarely spread beyond the original site. There are several surgical techniques that can be used to remove this type of malignant skin growth. For instance, depending on the location and extent of a patient’s cancer, the experts at Moffitt might recommend:
- Cryosurgery – A physician applies a very cold substance, such as liquid nitrogen, to a skin lesion to freeze and destroy cancerous cells.
- Dermabrasion – Using a wire brush or diamond wheel with rough edges, a surgeon removes the uppermost layers of a skin lesion.
- Curettage and electrodesiccation – A surgeon uses a sharp instrument (curette) to scrape away skin cancer cells, then delivers an electrical current to apply heat (electrocautery) to destroy any remaining cancerous cells.
- Mohs micrographic surgery – A surgeon removes a cancerous lesion along with a small rim of surrounding skin, examining the removed tissue for cancerous cells. If cancer is found, the surgeon continues the surgery by expanding the rim outward until no evidence of cancer remains.
- Laser surgery for skin cancer – Using a highly focused beam of light, a surgeon removes the outer layer of a superficial skin lesion, along with some deeper tissue as necessary.
If you’re interested in traveling to Moffitt for skin cancer surgery or other treatments, you might consider staying with one of our local hotel partners, which offer discounted rates to our patients and their families. These properties also meet or exceed our very high standards to ensure safe and comfortable lodging, and many provide shuttle services to and from our campus for added patient convenience.
Whether you live in the St. Petersburg, FL, area or you are planning to travel to Moffitt from farther away, you don’t need a referral to speak with our expert oncologists about skin cancer surgery or other treatments. To request more information, call 1-888-663-3488 or complete our new patient registration form online.