Treatment for Mesothelioma
Many patients seek treatment for mesothelioma at Moffitt Cancer Center because of our comprehensive options and renowned Thoracic Oncology Program. Our multispecialty mesothelioma team includes medical oncologists, surgeons, radiation oncologists, pathologists and other medical professionals who all specialize in mesothelioma. This team meets regularly as a collaborative tumor board to discuss each case and develop an individualized treatment plan that best serves the needs of the patient.
The most common forms of treatment for mesothelioma include surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy or a combination of these therapies. Our medical team is experienced in advanced techniques to provide our patients with the most effective treatment available. Some of the many mesothelioma treatment options we offer at Moffitt include:
- Pleurectomy/decortication – surgery that removes the lining around a lung as well as any tumor masses
- Extrapleural pneumonectomy (EPP) – surgery that removes an entire lung
- Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) – chemotherapy drugs that are placed directly into the abdomen during surgery, after the tumor has been removed
- Brachytherapy – radiation therapy that is applied internally in the form of ‘seeds’ directly to the tumor
- Intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) – an advanced form of radiation therapy that is adjusted in intensity based on the shape of the tumor
Additionally, through our robust clinical trial program, Moffitt is able to offer novel treatment options that are not yet available elsewhere. Our Mesothelioma Research and Treatment Center continues to research new methods of treatment for mesothelioma, including immunotherapy, targeted genetic testing and new combinations of chemotherapy. Because of these efforts, Moffitt is the only cancer center based in Florida to have earned the designation of Comprehensive Cancer Center by the National Cancer Institute.
If you’re interested in receiving treatment for mesothelioma at Moffitt Cancer Center, call 1-888-663-3488 or fill out a new patient registration form online. We do not require a referral to schedule an appointment.