Lung cancer is one of the most common types of cancer, with more than 230,000 new cases diagnosed every year according to the American Lung Association. There are two main types of lung cancer: non-small cell lung cancer and small cell lung cancer. Non-small cell lung cancer is the most common and is slow-growing. Adenocarcinoma, large cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma are the three subtypes of non-small cell lung cancer. Small cell lung cancer is fast-growing and is almost always caused by cigarette smoking. It can be classified as small cell carcinoma (most common) or combined small cell carcinoma (less common).
Lung cancer treatment at Moffitt Cancer Center
If you live in Fort Myers, Florida, and have received a diagnosis of lung cancer, don’t rely on the expertise of just one physician. Instead, visit Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa. In a single location, patients within our Thoracic Oncology Program receive comprehensive treatment from a multispecialty team of medical oncologists, thoracic surgeons, pulmonologists, radiation oncologists and other experts who focus exclusively on treating lung malignancies. Our team also includes supportive care professionals, such as dietitians, counselors and social workers, to help patients cope with the challenges of a lung cancer diagnosis.
Our clinicians offer a multispecialty approach to treatment and tailor treatment plans to each patient’s unique needs. Most treatment plans include a combination of therapies, such as:
- Radiation therapy
- Photodynamic therapy
- Clinical trials
Why choose Moffitt
There are several reasons why patients from throughout the state and across the nation choose to travel to Moffitt for lung cancer treatment. Here are just a few:
- Our specialists within our lung cancer program have an unparalleled level of experience treating even the rarest lung malignancies, including small cell lung cancers.
- Moffitt’s tumor board—a multispecialty team of cancer experts—collaborates to design individualized treatment plans that are refined as necessary according to the patient’s progress and health care needs.
- Moffitt is a global leader in lung cancer research, and our patients have access to the latest breakthroughs in treatment before they are made available elsewhere through our robust clinical trials program. Our commitment to advancing cancer treatment has earned us the distinction of being a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center—the only one based in Florida.
Frequently asked questions
Where can I stay while receiving cancer treatment at Moffitt?
At Moffitt, we understand that traveling out of town to receive lung cancer treatment can be stressful. That’s why we have partnered with several nearby hotels to offer discounted rates to patients traveling to Moffitt from Fort Myers, FL, and throughout the country. These hotels demonstrate a commitment to excellent hygienic practices and hospitality and are dedicated to helping our patients rest and recover in a comfortable, calm setting.
If you’re interested in furnished housing during your stay, feel free to contact ATB Furnished Housing or All Stages Corporate Housing Group to learn more about their housing options.
What amenities are available at Moffitt’s partner hotels?
Our partner hotels feature a variety of great amenities to ensure a comfortable stay, including:
- Shuttle service to and from Moffitt
- On-site laundry
- Complimentary hot breakfast
- In-room WiFi
- Full kitchens with a conventional oven and microwave
- Free on-site parking
What is Moffitt’s Supportive Care Medicine program?
Here at Moffitt, we believe in well-rounded medical care, and that’s why we developed our Supportive Care Medicine program. We work with our patients to discuss the physical, emotional, social and spiritual challenges of their cancer journey to provide individualized services that meet their needs. These services include:
- Integrative medicine – We offer acupuncture, yoga, massage therapy and meditation to reduce stress and provide comfort and relief.
- Behavioral medicine – Our patients work with licensed psychiatrists and psychologists to learn about coping strategies, medication management and therapies that can reduce and manage anxiety, depression and sleep issues.
- Palliative medicine – Palliative medicine involves pain and symptom management to improve a patient’s quality of life.
- Osteopathic manipulative treatment – OMT is a gentle, hands-on technique to help relieve pain and support a better quality of life. It can help with some of the side effects of lung cancer treatment, such as nausea, muscle or joint pain and constipation.
Does Moffitt offer virtual follow-up visits?
With Virtual Visits from Moffitt, you can connect with your medical team from the comfort of home. Using a smartphone, tablet or video-enabled computer, you can have a face-to-face appointment with your oncologist, surgeon, nurse and other Moffitt specialists without needing to travel to Tampa to do so.
Reviewed by a Moffitt Cancer Center medical professional.