COVID-19 Safety Precautions: Find the Latest Visitor and Mask Policies. Learn More
Hodgkin Lymphoma Risk Factors & Information for St. Petersburg, FL, Residents
Hodgkin lymphoma risk factors include several different traits and exposures that are associated with an increased likelihood of developing this form of blood cancer. While some factors can be avoided, such as smoking, others cannot be prevented, such as family history. Additionally, it is important to note that having one or more risk factors does not necessarily mean an individual will develop cancer. Similarly, it is possible to develop Hodgkin lymphoma without having any risk factors. Still, individuals can take a proactive approach to detecting and receiving treatment for Hodgkin lymphoma by understanding their individual risk. Residents of St. Petersburg, Florida, can learn more about cancer and receive comprehensive treatment at Moffitt Cancer Center, located nearby in Tampa.
Some of the risk factors associated with Hodgkin lymphoma include:
- A weak immune system – Certain medications, such as those taken after an organ transplant, and infections like HIV can weaken the immune system and increase the risk of Hodgkin lymphoma.
- Infections that affect lymphocytes – Infections such as Epstein-Barr virus and human T-cell leukemia/lymphoma (HTLV-1) can affect the DNA in white blood cells and cause them to become cancerous.
- Tobacco use – Smoking increases the risk of developing many different types of cancer, including Hodgkin lymphoma.
- Family history – If a close family member has been diagnosed with a form of lymphoma, it may increase your risk as well.
- Age – Most individuals who are diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma are either between the ages of 15 and 30 or over the age of 55.
At Moffitt Cancer Center, the multispecialty team in our Malignant Hematology Program collaborate as a tumor board to ensure each patient receives individualized attention. Our team helps each patient understand his or her risk, provides diagnostic services and can provide a treatment plan tailored to the unique needs of the patient. Individuals from St. Petersburg, FL, and other out-of-town regions can also benefit from the fact that all of our services are provided in a single location. Moffitt can also provide assistance finding local accommodations that meet our standards for hygiene control. Many of these locations offer discounted rates to patients and shuttle service to and from Moffitt.
Residents of St. Petersburg, FL, who would like to discuss their individual Hodgkin lymphoma risk factors at Moffitt can fill out a new patient registration form online or call 1-888-663-3488 to schedule an appointment. We do not require a referral.