For women in the Cape Coral, FL, area who require a sentinel node mapping and biopsy, Moffitt Cancer Center is an excellent option. Our dedicated breast cancer team performs a high volume of lymph node mapping procedures and biopsies every year, which helps us to shape individualized treatment plans for every patient. As the only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center that is based in the state of Florida, we’re uniquely situated to provide the very best treatment to the countless women who turn to us. Whether you have recently been diagnosed with breast cancer or you’ve been identified as having a high risk for developing the condition, we are here for you.
Sentinel node mapping and a subsequent biopsy often accompanies a lumpectomy or mastectomy to determine if the cancer has spread from a tumor to nearby lymph nodes. Here’s how it works:
- A radioactive tracer of non-toxic blue dye is injected in the area around the tumor
- This dye travels from the tumor to the sentinel lymph nodes through the lymphatic channels, turning the nodes blue in the process
- Pictures are taken of these highlighted lymph nodes to help identify those that require biopsies
- The selected lymph nodes are removed through a small incision and sent to an on-site lab for analysis
- Tissue samples are evaluated under a microscope and, if the presence of cancer is confirmed, the surrounding lymph nodes are removed
Women from Cape Coral and all across Florida travel to Moffitt for sentinel node mapping and biopsy, as well as many other breast cancer diagnostic and treatment services. To help accommodate patients who are traveling from out of town, we’ve partnered with several local hotels that offer our patients discounted rates. These hotels also adhere to our strict standards for hygiene and infection prevention, providing peace of mind that your visit will be not only comfortable but safe as well.
To learn more about traveling from Cape Coral, FL, to receive a sentinel node mapping and biopsy, call 1-888-663-3488 or please complete our new patient registration form online. No physician referral is required.