Moffitt Cancer Center's radiation therapy program is a collaborative effort of some of the most experienced radiation oncologists, dosimetrists, radiation therapists, physicists, nursing specialists and supportive care professionals in the nation.
No matter which treatments a patient requires, our center is outfitted with the specialized equipment necessary to provide them, including Trilogy, Truebeam, MRIdian, and Halcyon. Our equipment meets or exceeds the quality assurance and safety and efficacy guidelines established by the ACR, ensuring an optimal experience for each patient.
However, at Moffitt, we understand that it's the team, not just the machine, that equates to superior treatment. Each of our team members has a dedicated field of focus, allowing us to select the treatments and technologies that offer the most promise for every patient’s unique diagnosis. This individualized approach helps us improve outcomes, limit side effects, enhance the quality of life and achieve exceptional patient satisfaction rates.
Services available through Moffitt's Radiation Oncology Program include:
- Brachytherapy (including intracavitary, interstitial, and radioembolization options)
- MRI-Linac, combining an MRI scanner with a linear accelerator in a single system
- CT-driven virtual simulations
- Intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT)
- Image guided radiation therapy (IGRT)
- INTRABEAM®intraoperative breast cancer radiation treatment
- Linear accelerator/in-room CT
- On-board imaging
- Pathology services
- Nutrition consults
- Radiopharmaceuticals (including Zevalin, Bexxar, Quadramet, Metastron and Alpha Radin)
- Respiratory gating and breath hold treatment
- Stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT)
- Stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS)
- Three- and four-dimensional computerized radiation therapy (3D CRT and 4D CRT)
- Total body irradiation (TBI)
- Total skin electron therapy (TSET)
- Volumetric modulated arc therapy (VMAT)
Program Director & Faculty Information
Peter A. Johnstone, MD, FACR
Interim Chair, Radiation Oncology
Jessica Frakes, MD
Program Director, Radiation Oncology Residency Program
Angie Courtney C-TAGME
Residency Education Coordinator
Jimmy Caudell, MD, PhD
Director, Clinical Trials, Radiation Oncology
See a listing of all clinical faculty including their publications and biographies.
The department has 17 dosimetrists, 26 nurses, 14 advanced-practice professionals and 60 radiation therapists.