Notice to Our Patients Regarding a Stolen Briefcase. Learn More
Find a Doctor
Cancer Focus: Lung Cancer , Mesothelioma , Pancoast Tumor , Thymoma
Dr. Stephen Rosenberg is an Assistant Member in the Section of Thoracic Oncology of the Moffitt Cancer Center Department of Radiation Oncology. He grew up in Medford, New Jersey and graduated from Brown University with a Bachelor of Science in Biology. He earned a Master’s of Science in Clinical and Translational Research at Rutgers University in combination with his Medical Degree. During medical school, he was named a Howard Hughes Medical Institute Research Fellow. He went on to complete his medical internship at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, where he was named the Suzanne Munson Intern of the Year. He completed his residency in radiation oncology at the University of Wisconsin where he also served as Chief Resident. Dr. Rosenberg’s clinical focus is the treatment of patients with thoracic malignancies. He is interested in combining radiation with immunomodulatory drugs and targeted therapies to improve outcomes. Dr. Rosenberg also pursues research with a special focus on MRI-guided radiation. He is interested in utilizing radiomics and genomics as part of his research efforts. His work is part of the FORT (Future of Radiation Therapy) Departmental research program aimed at personalizing radiation therapy using novel approaches to improve local control of tumors and decrease side effects for patients.
Education & Training
- Radiation Oncology
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center - Internship
- University of Wisconsin - Residency
- Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical SchoolMD
- Sim AJ, Kaza E, Singer L, Rosenberg SA. A review of the role of MRI in diagnosis and treatment of early stage lung cancer. Clin Transl Radiat Oncol. 2020 Sep.24:16-22. Pubmedid: 32596518. Pmcid: PMC7306507.
- Witt JS, Rosenberg SA, Bassetti MF. MRI-guided adaptive radiotherapy for liver tumours: visualising the future. Lancet Oncol. 2020 Feb.21(2):e74-e82. Pubmedid: 32007208.
- Brower JV, Chen S, Ritter A, Liauw SL, Rosenberg SA, Reddy AV, Golden DW, Gillespie EF, Mattes MD. Comfort Level of US Radiation Oncology Graduates: Assessment of Transition to Independent Clinical Practice. J Cancer Educ. 2019 Nov. Pubmedid: 31728920. Pmcid: PMC7441593.
- Rudra S, Jiang N, Rosenberg SA, Olsen JR, Roach MC, Wan L, Portelance L, Mellon EA, Bruynzeel A, Lagerwaard F, Bassetti MF, Parikh PJ, Lee PP. Using adaptive magnetic resonance image-guided radiation therapy for treatment of inoperable pancreatic cancer. Cancer Med. 2019 May.8(5):2123-2132. Pubmedid: 30932367. Pmcid: PMC6536981.
- Singer L, Rosenberg SA. The Impact of MRI on Radiation Oncology Graduate Medical Education. J Am Coll Radiol. 2019 Jun.16(6):859-863. Pubmedid: 30737161.
- Blitzer GC, Rosenberg SA, Anderson BM, McCulloch TM, Wieland AM, Hartig GK, Bruce JY, Witek ME, Kimple RJ, Harari PM. Results From 10 Years of a Free Oral Cancer Screening Clinic at a Major Academic Health Center. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2018 Sep;102(1):146-148. Pubmedid: 29980415. Pmcid: PMC6089656.
- Witt JS, Gao RW, Sudmeier LJ, Rosenberg SA, Francis DM, Wallace CR, Das RK, Anderson BM. Low cardiac and left anterior descending coronary artery dose achieved with left-sided multicatheter interstitial-accelerated partial breast irradiation. Brachytherapy. 2018 Sep.18(1):50-56. Pubmedid: 30262411. Pmcid: PMC6338487.
- Jang S, Rosenberg SA, Bradley KA, Kimple RJ. In Reply to Lin and Golden. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2018 Nov.102(3):672. Pubmedid: 30238905.
- Gallagher SJ, Rosenberg SA, Francis D, Salamat S, Howard SP, Kimple RJ. Primary intracranial leiomyosarcoma in an immunocompetent patient: Case report and review of the literature. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2018 Feb.165:76-80. Pubmedid: 29324399.
- Jang S, Rosenberg SA, Hullett C, Bradley KA, Kimple RJ. Beyond 'charting outcomes' in the radiation oncology match: analysis of self-reported applicant data. Med Educ Online. 2018 Dec;23(1):1489691. Pubmedid: 29943670. Pmcid: PMC6022246.
- Rosenberg SA, Henke LE, Shaverdian N, Mittauer K, Wojcieszynski AP, Hullett CR, Kamrava M, Lamb J, Cao M, Green OL, Kashani R, Paliwal B, Bayouth J, Harari PM, Olsen JR, Lee P, Parikh PJ, Bassetti M. A Multi-Institutional Experience of MR-Guided Liver Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy. Adv Radiat Oncol. 2018 Aug.4(1):142-149. Pubmedid: 30706022. Pmcid: PMC6349638.
- Mittauer K, Paliwal B, Hill P, Bayouth JE, Geurts MW, Baschnagel AM, Bradley KA, Harari PM, Rosenberg S, Brower JV, Wojcieszynski AP, Hullett C, Bayliss RA, Labby ZE, Bassetti MF. A New Era of Image Guidance with Magnetic Resonance-guided Radiation Therapy for Abdominal and Thoracic Malignancies. Cureus. 2018 Apr.10(4):e2422. Pubmedid: 29872602. Pmcid: PMC5985918.
- Schaff EM, Rosenberg SA, Olson SJ, Howard SP, Bradley KA. Bone marrow suppression as a complication of total skin helical tomotherapy in the treatment of mycosis fungoides. Radiat Oncol. 2018 Apr;13(1):67. Pubmedid: 29653544. Pmcid: PMC5899362.
- Rosenberg SA, Bradley KA, Kimple RJ. In Reply to Hamstra. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2018 04;100(5):1293-1294. Pubmedid: 29722667.
- Jang S, Rosenberg SA, Hullet C, Bradley KA, Kimple RJ. Value of Elective Radiation Oncology Rotations: How Many Is Too Many?. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2018 03.100(3):558-559. Pubmedid: 29413271. Pmcid: PMC5806148.
- Rasheed A, Jabbour SK, Rosenberg S, Patel A, Goyal S, Haffty BG, Yue NJ, Khan A. Motion and volumetric change as demonstrated by 4DCT: The effects of abdominal compression on the GTV, lungs, and heart in lung cancer patients. Pract Radiat Oncol. 2017 Mar;6(5):352-359. Pubmedid: 26922698.
- Wojcieszynski AP, Hill PM, Rosenberg SA, Hullett CR, Labby ZE, Paliwal B, Geurts MW, Bayliss RA, Bayouth JE, Harari PM, Bassetti MF, Baschnagel AM. Dosimetric Comparison of Real-Time MRI-Guided Tri-Cobalt-60 Versus Linear Accelerator-Based Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy Lung Cancer Plans. Technol Cancer Res Treat. 2017 Jun;16(3):366-372. Pubmedid: 28168936. Pmcid: PMC5616053.
- Denu RA, Rosenberg SA, Howard SP. Familial Trigeminal Neuralgia Treated with Stereotactic Radiosurgery: A Case Report and Literature Review. J Radiat Oncol. 2017 Jun.6(2):149-152. Pubmedid: 29201285. Pmcid: PMC5705085.
- Rosenberg SA, Baschnagel AM, Bagley SJ, Housri N. Strategies for Translating Evidence-Based Medicine in Lung Cancer into Community Practice. Curr Oncol Rep. 2017 Jan;19(1):5. Pubmedid: 28168606.
- Rosenberg SA, Kimple RJ. The Second Stain: A Viral Whodunnit. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017 Dec;99(5):1061. Pubmedid: 29165273.
- Rosenberg SA, Francis DM, Hullet CR, Morris ZS, Brower JV, Anderson BM, Bradley KA, Bassetti MF, Kimple RJ. Online patient information from radiation oncology departments is too complex for the general population. Pract Radiat Oncol. 2017 Apr;7(1):57-62. Pubmedid: 27663932. Pmcid: PMC5219938.
- Brower JV, Saha S, Rosenberg SA, Hullett CR, Ian Robins H. Management of leptomeningeal metastases: Prognostic factors and associated outcomes. J Clin Neurosci. 2016 May;27:130-137. Pubmedid: 26778048.
- Rosenberg SA, Francis D, Hullett CR, Morris ZS, Fisher MM, Brower JV, Bradley KA, Anderson BM, Bassetti MF, Kimple RJ. Readability of Online Patient Educational Resources Found on NCI-Designated Cancer Center Web Sites. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2016 Jun.14(6):735-740. Pubmedid: 27283166. Pmcid: PMC7236813.
- Setton J, Han J, Kannarunimit D, Wuu YR, Rosenberg SA, DeSelm C, Wolden SL, Jillian Tsai C, McBride SM, Riaz N, Lee NY. Long-term patterns of relapse and survival following definitive intensity-modulated radiotherapy for non-endemic nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Oral Oncol. 2016 Feb;53:67-73. Pubmedid: 26675283. Pmcid: PMC4975930.
- Wojcieszynski AP, Rosenberg SA, Brower JV, Hullett CR, Geurts MW, Labby ZE, Hill PM, Bayliss RA, Paliwal B, Bayouth JE, Harari PM, Bassetti MF. Gadoxetate for direct tumor therapy and tracking with real-time MRI-guided stereotactic body radiation therapy of the liver. Radiother Oncol. 2016 Feb;118(2):416-418. Pubmedid: 26627702.
- Rosenberg SA, Niglio SA, Salehomoum N, Chan JL, Jeong BS, Wen Y, Li J, Fukui J, Chen S, Shin SS, Goydos JS. Targeting Glutamatergic Signaling and the PI3 Kinase Pathway to Halt Melanoma Progression. Transl Oncol. 2015 Feb;8(1):1-9. Pubmedid: 25749171. Pmcid: PMC4350641.
- Deming D, Uboha N, Zafar SY, Rosenberg S, Bassetti M, Glasgow S, Borden EC, Lubner S. Adjuvant Chemotherapy for Stage II Rectal Cancer. Semin Oncol. 2015 Dec;42(6):e99-107. Pubmedid: 26615141.
- Rosenberg SA, Niglio SA, Jo VY, Goydos JS. Interdigitating dendritic cell sarcoma presenting in the skin: diagnosis and the role of surgical resection, chemotherapy and radiotherapy in management. Rare Tumors. 2014 Oct;6(4):5573. Pubmedid: 25568750. Pmcid: PMC4274444.
- Coups EJ, Stapleton JL, Manne SL, Hudson SV, Medina-Forrester A, Rosenberg SA, Gordon M, Tatum KS, Robinson JK, Natale-Pereira A, Goydos JS. Psychosocial correlates of sun protection behaviors among U.S. Hispanic adults. J Behav Med. 2014 Dec;37(6):1082-1090. Pubmedid: 24532153. Pmcid: PMC4134426.
- Coups EJ, Stapleton JL, Hudson SV, Medina-Forrester A, Rosenberg SA, Gordon MA, Natale-Pereira A, Goydos JS. Linguistic acculturation and skin cancer-related behaviors among Hispanics in the southern and western United States. JAMA Dermatol. 2013 Jun;149(6):679-686. Pubmedid: 23752366. Pmcid: PMC3689859.
- Coups EJ, Stapleton JL, Hudson SV, Medina-Forrester A, Rosenberg SA, Gordon M, Natale-Pereira A, Goydos JS. Skin cancer surveillance behaviors among US Hispanic adults. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2013 Apr;68(4):576-584. Pubmedid: 23182066. Pmcid: PMC3608735.
- Lee HJ, Wall BA, Wangari-Talbot J, Shin SS, Rosenberg S, Chan JL, Namkoong J, Goydos JS, Chen S. Glutamatergic pathway targeting in melanoma: single-agent and combinatorial therapies. Clin Cancer Res. 2011 Nov;17(22):7080-7092. Pubmedid: 21844014. Pmcid: PMC3218300.
- Nabatian AS, Shah KN, Iofel E, Rosenberg S, Javidian P, Pappert A, Milgraum SS. Asymptomatic granulomatous vulvitis and granulomatous cheilitis in childhood: the need for Crohn disease workup. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2011 Jul;53(1):100-101. Pubmedid: 21694543.
- Tsedensodnom O, Koga H, Rosenberg SA, Nambotin SB, Carroll JJ, Wands JR, Kim M. Identification of T-cell factor-4 isoforms that contribute to the malignant phenotype of hepatocellular carcinoma cells. Exp Cell Res. 2011 Apr;317(7):920-931. Pubmedid: 21256126. Pmcid: PMC3066145.
- Walker EJ, Rosenberg SA, Wands JR, Kim M. Role of Raf Kinase Inhibitor Protein in Hepatocellular Carcinoma. For Immunopathol Dis Therap. 2011.2(2):195-204. Pubmedid: 21984963. Pmcid: PMC3188396.
- Le MN, Chan JL, Rosenberg SA, Nabatian AS, Merrigan KT, Cohen-Solal KA, Goydos JS. The glutamate release inhibitor Riluzole decreases migration, invasion, and proliferation of melanoma cells. J Invest Dermatol. 2010 Sep;130(9):2240-2249. Pubmedid: 20505744. Pmcid: PMC4004181.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.