Breast Imaging Fellowship
The Breast Imaging Division in the Department of Diagnostic Imaging at Moffitt Cancer Center seeks two qualified candidates annually for a one-year comprehensive breast imaging fellowship to begin July 1 each year. The fellowship follows curricular guidelines set forth by the Society of Breast Imaging and features training at Moffitt’s multidisciplinary breast center at the Richard M. Schulze Family Foundation Outpatient Center at McKinley campus as well as at Moffitt at International Plaza. Our program participates in the Society of Breast Imaging Fellowship National Resident Matching Program.
Our breast centers feature state-of-the art breast imaging equipment including digital mammography with tomosynthesis, stereotactic and tomosynthesis-guided biopsy, breast MRI and MRI-guided biopsy, and breast ultrasound and ultrasound-guided biopsy. We also perform multi-modality image-guided breast localizations for our dedicated breast surgeons using wires and wire-alternative technologies. Furthermore, we participate in a number of multidisciplinary research trials within our institution, the only National Cancer Institute (NCI)-designated comprehensive cancer institution based in the state of Florida. Additionally, our breast centers are accredited by the American College of Radiology and maintain the status of Breast Imaging Center of Excellence.
Our breast radiology team consists of eight fellowship-trained breast imaging radiologists, including winners of the Moffitt Cancer Center "Clinical Mentor of the Year" and "Clinical Educator of the Year" awards. Our breast imaging faculty also hold committee positions with the Society of Breast Imaging and the American College of Radiology, and frequently present at national and international radiology conferences. We have a strong team of support staff within the breast imaging department, including dedicated breast ultrasound and mammography technologists. Our radiologists and breast imaging team provide compassionate and unparalleled patient care in a collegial environment, with a passion for communication, education, and cutting-edge research. The fellows are active participants in breast imaging interpretations, procedure performance, consultation with the multidisciplinary breast clinicians, breast-imaging research, and trainee education. Other trainees at the breast center include two radiology residents per month from the University of South Florida Radiology Residency Program. Additionally, Moffitt breast surgery fellows rotate in the department one month during the year, and medical students from the University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine may rotate with us on a breast imaging elective.
Fellows rotate through dedicated locations at our two breast centers for comprehensive exposure to the many modalities within breast imaging including dedicated rotations for diagnostic mammography and sonography, screening mammography, breast MRI, breast interventional procedures, and outside breast imaging second opinion interpretation. Fellows also have dedicated research days during the academic year. Fellows participate in weekly multidisciplinary breast cancer tumor board as the breast imaging presenter. Finally, dedicated time is given for rotations in breast-specific surgery, pathology, and radiation-oncology.
Fellows are provided significant opportunities to enhance their training by attending a variety of educational sessions/conferences throughout their fellowship. This includes weekly breast imaging best-cases and journal club conferences, monthly breast imaging resident lectures given by our breast attendings, monthly grand rounds lectures, monthly radiology research lectures, and the Moffitt graduate medical education (GME) sponsored lecture series. The fellows are expected to present at our breast imaging section lectures once per month and at the resident lectures twice per year.
Fellows are expected to complete one research or academic project before the end of their fellowship year and to present this at a local, national, or international meeting. Support for the research activity of the fellows is provided by the Moffitt Cancer Center GME office and the Research Coordinator. The fellow has protected time during the year for research, with the possibility for additional dedicated time given to complete projects.
Examples of prior research/academic projects (Fellow)
- Varma RA. "Final Read." Leading the Way. American College of Radiology (ACR) Bulletin, January 2020.
- Varma RA, Alaby-Varma TS, Mooney, B. Developing Physician Leaders: Characteristics of Successful Leaders. ACR Annual Meeting 2020.
- Varma RA, Weinfurtner J, Niell B, Williams A, Mooney B, Falcon S, Ataya D, Boulware D, Funaro K. Preference of Breast Imaging Referring Providers for Illustrated Radiology Reports. Presented at Moffitt Scientific Symposium 2020. Publication submitted.
- Alvarez J, Niell B, Fan W, Boulware D, Franceschini-Sanchez C, Parikh P, and Ataya D. "Randomized Controlled Trial of an Educational Intervention to Impact Patient Perspectives on Breast Cancer Risk and Supplemental Screening with MRI." Presented at the Moffitt Scientific Symposium 2020. Submitted to RSNA 2020.
- Bang J, Truong K, Weinfurtner J, and Mooney B. “Breast Cancer Survivors: Which Type of Surveillance Mammography.” Presented at the Moffitt Scientific Symposium 2019.
- Carter T and Weinfurtner J. "Digital Breast Tomosynthesis-guided Biopsy: Evaluation of Results and Comparison to Prone Stereotactic-guided Breast Biopsy." Presented preliminary results at 2019 St. Gallen Breast Cancer Conference in Vienna, Austria in March 2019 and poster presentation of final results at EUSOBI in Budapest in October 2019.
- Daugherty M, Niell B. "Utility of Routine Axillary Ultrasound Surveillance in Breast Cancer Survivors with Previously Diagnosted Metastatic Axillary Adenopathy." Presented at the Moffitt Symposium 2018. Published in J Breast Imaging 2019.
- Forbus J, Mooney B, and Weinfurtner J. "Specialized Second Opinion Interpretations of Breast MRI: Impact on Additional Workup and Management." Poster presentation at 2018 SBI. Published in JACR 2019.
- Weinfurtner J, Niell B, Mekhail Y, Aguila E, and Kamat L. "Specialized Second Opinion Interpretations of Breast Imaging: Impact on Additional Workup and Management." Oral presentation at RSNA 2017. Published in Clinical Breast Cancer 2018.
- Kamat L, Rosa M, Weinfurtner J, Falcon S, Drukteinis J, and Patel B. "Primary Breast Angiosarcoma in a Male." Published in the Breast Journal 2015.
- Funaro K, Drukteinis J, Falcon S. Screening Mammography and Digital Breast Tomosynthesis: Controversies. Published in South Med J 2017.
- Funaro K, Prather A, and Weinfurtner J. "Percutaneous MRI-guided Breast Biopsies: Tissue Marker Migration Rates and Associated Factors." Poster presentation at NCCN 2017. Published in the Breast Journal 2019.
- Mekhail Y, Prather A, Hanna C, Rosa M, and Weinfurtner J. "Focal angiomatosis of the breast with MRI and histologic features." Published in Radiology Case Reports 2017.
- Craig K, Weinfurtner J, and Falcon S. "Breast metastases from extramammary malignancies: essay and review of the literature." Presented at Moffitt Scientific Symposium 2016.
- Chau A, Jafarian N, and Rosa M. "Male Breast: Clinical and Imaging Evaluations of Benign and Malignant Entities with Histologic Correlation." Presented at Moffitt Symposium 2015. Published in the Am J of Med in 2016.
- Gentry M and Patel B. "Internal Mammary Lymph Nodes in Breast Cancer: What the Radiologist Needs to Know." Educational exhibit at AUR 2015.
- Assing M, Patel B, Karamsadkar N, Weinfurtner J, Usmani O, Kiluk J, and Drukteinis J. "A comparison of the diagnostic accuracy of MRI to axillary ultrasound in the detection of axillary nodal metastases in newly diagnosed breast cancer." Presented at the Moffitt Symposium 2014 and Published in the Breast Journal 2017.
- Weinfurtner J, Patel B, Laronga C, Lee MC, Falcon S, Mooney B, Yue B, and Drukteinis J. "MRI core needle breast biopsies resulting in high risk histopathology: upstage frequency and lesion characteristics." Poster presentation at SBI 2015. Published in Clinical Breast Cancer in 2015.
Breast imaging fellows do not participate in call or other after-hours duties.
Recent fellows’ post-fellowship positions:
- Academic, New Haven, CT
- Private Practice, Richmond, VA
- Private Practice, Sarasota, FL
- Private Practice, Bronx, NY
- Private Practice, Tacoma, WA
- Private Practice, Evansville, IN
- Academic, Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, FL
- Academic, Orlando, FL
- Private Practice, Lacrosse, WI
- Academic, Albuquerque, NM
- Academic, Portland, OR
- Private Practice, Phoenix, AZ
- Academic, Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, FL
- Private Practice, Orlando, FL
(R.) Jared Weinfurtner, MD
Director of the Breast Imaging Fellowship
Moffitt Cancer Center
12902 USF Magnolia Drive, WCB-RAD MD/OPI
Tampa, FL 33612
Moffitt Cancer Center
12902 USF Magnolia Drive, MCC-GME
Tampa, FL 33612
Trainees must complete an ACGME-approved diagnostic radiology residency program. Trainees must be able to obtain an appropriate license issued by the Florida Medial Board. Applicants must have received USMLE certification (or equivalent) and passed steps 1, 2CK, 2CS, and 3.
OPEN POSITIONS PER YEAR: 2
- Applications are accepted beginning August 1
- Interviews are held in January or February each year
- The SBI Match Program ranking closes in May
- Match Day is in June for start date one academic year later
- Fellowship begins July 1 each year.
Fellows are employed through Moffitt Cancer Center with salary based on PGY level. Benefits include health insurance, employer paid basic life and long-term disability insurance coverage with the option for employee paid additional benefits (e.g. dental, vision).
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS & RESOURCES
If you are interested in applying to the breast imaging fellowship program, please submit the following materials to the education coordinator:
- SBI Fellowship Match – Universal Application
- Current CV
- Personal statement including goals and professional plans.
- Three letters of recommendation including a letter from the director of your residency program. Letters of recommendation must be dated and written within the past six months.
- Medical school transcript and copies of USMLE scores (Steps 1, 2 and 3 are required prior to beginning fellowship).
- American Board of Radiology (ABR) eligibility status.
Please send your application to: Angie Courtney, Angie.Courtney@Moffitt.org