Ovarian Cancer Surgery and Other Treatment Options for Women with Cancer in Orlando, FL
Ovarian cancer surgery is typically supplemented with a regimen of chemotherapy in order to remove and destroy as many cancer cells as possible. During a procedure, a surgeon can thoroughly evaluate the extent and spread of the cancer. Therefore, in addition to removing a tumor, a surgeon might also obtain tissue samples for further testing. Whether a woman is being treated for ovarian or breast cancer, the specific approach recommended will depend on several factors. Typically, the type and stage of the cancer are taken into account along with the patient’s health and personal preferences. To ensure the best possible care, women in the Orlando, Florida, area are welcome to discuss their ovarian and breast cancer diagnoses and treatment options with the multispecialty cancer experts at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa. At Moffitt, we focus exclusively on cancer treatment, and each patient’s case is evaluated and continually reviewed by our tumor board of cancer specialists. This talented group of medical professionals meets weekly to collaboratively monitor and refine a patient’s treatment plan as appropriate. Through our multispecialty approach, each patient receives the benefit of several expert opinions without the need for referrals.
For instance, depending on a woman’s specific circumstances, the Moffitt tumor board might recommend any of several different ovarian cancer surgery techniques. Our surgeons perform the following techniques:
- Unilateral salpingo-oophorectomy – Removes one ovary and one fallopian tube
- Bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy – Removes both ovaries and fallopian tubes
- Partial hysterectomy – Removes the uterus
- Total hysterectomy – Removes the uterus and cervix
- Lymph node dissection – Removes the lymph nodes in the pelvic and para-aortic areas
- Omentectomy – Removes the fat pad inside the abdomen that covers the intestines
- Cytoreductive/debulking surgery – Removes as much tumor as is safely possible, which might entail the removal of tissue from nearby organs, such as the gallbladder, spleen, stomach, bladder or colon
Women from Orlando, FL, who require ovarian cancer surgery or breast cancer surgery don’t need to worry about logistical complications getting in the way of receiving outstanding treatment at Moffitt. We offer our out-of-town patients assistance with finding local, affordable accommodations to make working with Moffitt more convenient. Each of our trusted hotel partners meets or exceeds our stringent hygiene and infection control standards to ensure the utmost comfort and safety of our patients. Any woman in Orlando, FL, who is interested in learning more about the ovarian cancer surgery or breast cancer surgery options available at Moffitt can call 1-888-MOFFITT or schedule an appointment online.