Ovarian cancer surgery is typically recommended to evaluate the extent of the cancer and remove as much of a tumor as possible. Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa can offer women from the Cape Coral, Florida, area highly individualized and comprehensive treatment through a multispecialty approach specifically designed to meet the needs of ovarian cancer surgery patients.
Every week, our tumor board of specialists meets to assess each patient’s case and monitor her progress. This collaborative team continually analyzes key factors such as the location and size of a tumor and refines the patient’s treatment plan as needed. Members include a wide range of cancer specialists, such as gynecologic oncologists, plastic surgeons, radiologists, dietitians, pathologists and supportive care workers. Through this approach, our patients benefit from several expert opinions without the need for referrals.
Following a thorough review of a patient’s case, Moffitt’s team of skilled experts might recommend one or more of the following ovarian cancer surgery options:
- Partial hysterectomy – A surgeon removes the uterus.
- Total hysterectomy – A surgeon removes both the uterus and cervix.
- Cytoreductive/debulking surgery – A surgeon removes as much of a tumor as is safely possible, along with tissue from nearby organs such as the spleen, gallbladder, stomach, colon or bladder.
- Unilateral or bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy – A surgeon removes one or both ovaries and fallopian tubes.
- Omentectomy – A surgeon removes the fat pad that covers the large intestine and stomach inside the abdomen.
- Lymph node dissection – A surgeon removes the lymph nodes in the pelvic and para-aortic areas.
As the only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center based in Florida, we believe patients from the Cape Coral, FL, area should have access to our state-of-the-art technologies and advanced ovarian cancer surgery techniques. Therefore, we assist our out-of-town patients in finding local, affordable accommodations to make the experience a little easier. We’ve partnered with several nearby hotels that adhere to our strict hygiene and infection control standards to ensure the utmost comfort and safety of our patients, including those with weakened immune systems.
Women from Cape Coral, FL, who would like to find out more about Moffitt’s ovarian cancer surgery options or any of the other advanced treatment options we offer can call 1-888-663-3488 or may fill out an online new patient registration form. We do not require referrals.