Notice to Our Patients Regarding a Stolen Briefcase. Learn More
Ovarian Cancer Surgery Options for Women from the Jupiter, FL, Area
Ovarian cancer surgery is commonly recommended as the main form of treatment for women with this condition. During a procedure, a surgeon assesses the extent and spread of the cancer and removes as much of the tumor as possible. The way the surgery is approached depends on several factors, such as the stage and type of cancer, as well as the patient’s health condition and personal preferences.
Women from the Jupiter, Florida, area come to Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa for our highly individualized and comprehensive treatment. Each patient’s case is evaluated and reviewed weekly by a tumor board of cancer specialists who continually monitor several key factors – such as the size, location and extent of a tumor – and refine the treatment plan as needed. Our team of experts includes oncologists, radiologists, reproductive endocrinologists, pathologists, dietitians, plastic surgeons and supportive care workers. This multispecialty approach allows our patients to benefit from the recommendations of several experts in a single location, without the need for referrals.
Moffitt’s multispecialty team might recommend one or more of the following ovarian cancer surgery techniques:
- Unilateral salpingo-oophorectomy – Removes one ovary and one fallopian tube
- Bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy – Removes both ovaries and fallopian tubes
- Partial hysterectomy – Removes the uterus
- Total hysterectomy – Removes the uterus and cervix
- Omentectomy – Removes the fat pad that covers the intestines inside the abdomen
- Lymph node dissection – Removes the lymph nodes in the pelvic and para-aortic areas
- Cytoreproductive/debulking surgery – Removes as much of the tumor as is safely possible, which might include the removal of tissue from nearby organs such as the stomach, gallbladder, spleen, bladder or colon
At Moffitt, we believe that every woman from the Jupiter, FL, area who is in need of ovarian cancer surgery should have access to state-of-the-art technology and innovative techniques. Therefore, we assist our out-of-town patients in finding local accommodations to help make the experience easier. We work closely with several nearby hotels that meet our stringent hygiene and infection control standards to ensure our patients’ utmost comfort and safety, including those with weakened immune systems.