Moffitt Notice of Blackbaud Data Incident. Learn More
Senior Adult Oncology Team
Moffitt Cancer Center’s Senior Adult Oncology Program accepts physician referrals for patients over the age of 70, across a spectrum of types and stages of cancer. Our Senior Adult oncology specialists, led by Martine Extermann, MD, PhD, provide comprehensive diagnostic, treatment, educational, therapeutic and preventive services tailored to address the specific needs of elderly patients. Our team takes a number of factors into consideration when determining the best course of action for each patient, including his or her preexisting conditions, mobility, memory, mental health concerns, transportation difficulties and nutritional problems, among others.
Patients who are referred to our Senior Adult Oncology Program benefit from the expertise of professionals from many different specialties. Our senior adult oncology specialists include:
- Nurse practitioners
- Oncology nurses
Our Senior Adult Oncology Program
The Senior Adult Oncology Program at Moffitt prioritizes several key aspects of clinical treatment and supportive care. These include:
- Creating treatment plans that address the needs of each individual patient and their unique malignancy
- Educating patients and their families on all appropriate treatments
- Identifying any potential drug interactions and side effects
- Reducing the severity of side effects to improve quality of life
- Providing nutrition and lifestyle plans for each patient
- Offering easy access to supportive care professionals to maximize social, psychological and emotional support
Each patient at Moffitt is closely monitored throughout the duration of their treatment. Our Senior Adult oncology specialists can adjust a patient’s treatment plan as they go through treatment to ensure the best possible outcome and an improved quality of life.