Moffitt Notice of Blackbaud Data Incident. Learn More
Questions to Ask Your Skin Cancer Specialist
When talking with your skin cancer specialist, you’ll want to feel completely comfortable asking questions about your diagnosis and treatment. Knowing what to ask in advance can make the process much less stressful for you. Not sure where to start? The questions below – organized based on where you’re currently at in your cancer journey – can help you launch a productive conversation.
Questions to ask your specialist after you’re diagnosed with skin cancer
- What kind of skin cancer do I have?
- Has it spread?
- What is the stage and what does that mean?
- What are the typical outcomes for people with my type and stage of skin cancer?
- What are the other factors that could influence my prognosis?
- When do you think I should start treatment?
- Should I get a second opinion before making any decisions?
Questions to ask before and during skin cancer treatment
- What are the different treatment options I can consider?
- What is the goal of each type of treatment?
- How long is the recovery period for each treatment?
- Are there any side effects that I might experience? If so, how can I manage them?
- If you are going to be providing this treatment, how many times have you done so in the past?
- If a different skin cancer specialist is going to perform this treatment, are there any specific questions I should ask him or her?
- Should I think about participating in a clinical trial?
Questions about skin cancer recovery
- What are the chances of my cancer coming back?
- Are there any precautions I should take to help prevent a recurrence?
- When should I plan to come back for a follow-up visit?
- How often should I schedule skin cancer screenings in the future?
At Moffitt Cancer Center, we’re here for you every step of the way. Each specialist in our Cutaneous Oncology Program focuses only on skin cancer, so you can feel confident that they have the knowledge necessary to answer your questions. For more information, call 1-888-663-3488 or submit a new patient registration form online.