Find a Doctor
Sephalie Patel, MD
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Dr. Patel received her MD degree from Emory University and completed her residency in the Department of Anesthesiology at the University of Florida in Gainesville, FL where she won the prestigious Chairman’s Award during her final year, 2012. She went on to complete a fellowship in Regional Anesthesia at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York, NY after which she joined Moffitt Cancer Center in 9/2013. Since joining Moffitt, Dr. Patel has started the Enhanced Recovery after Surgery program which focuses on evidence based, cost-effective perioperative care of the surgical patient. She also started the 3rd year medical student rotation which continues to be one of few opportunities for USF medical students to have exposure to Anesthesiology. Her research interests include opioid sparing anesthetic techniques, blood management, and preoperative optimization of the surgical patient.
Education & Training
- Hospital for Special Surgery - Anesthesia
- NIH - Intramural Research
- University of Florida -
- Emory University School of Medicine - MD
- Warner MA, Shore-Lesserson L, Shander A, Patel SY, Perelman SI, Guinn NR. Perioperative Anemia: Prevention, Diagnosis, and Management Throughout the Spectrum of Perioperative Care. Anesth Analg. 2020 May.130(5):1364-1380. Pubmedid: 32167979.
- Patel S, Suz P, Powers BD, Anaya DA. Epidural analgesia for hepatopancreatobiliary operations and postoperative urinary tract infections: an unrecognized association of "best-practices" and adverse outcomes. HPB (Oxford). 2020 May. Pubmedid: 32414659.
- Robinson LA, Tanvetyanon T, Grubbs D, Robinson NA, Pierce CM, McCarthy K, Garcia-Getting R, Patel S. Preoperative nutrition-enhanced recovery after surgery protocol for thoracic neoplasms. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2020 Jun. Pubmedid: 32713631.
- Muncey AR, Patel SY, Whelan CJ, Ackerman RS, Gatenby RA. The Intersection of Regional Anesthesia and Cancer Progression: A Theoretical Framework. Cancer Control. 2020 Jan.27(1). Pubmedid: 33070618.
- Cohen JB, Patel SY. Getting to Zero Patient Harm: From Improving Our Existing Tools to Embracing a New Paradigm. Anesth Analg. 2020 Feb.130(2):547-549. Pubmedid: 31764161.
- Petitt MS, Ackerman RS, Hanna MM, Chen L, Mhaskar RS, Fernandez DC, Patel SY. Anesthetic and analgesic methods for gynecologic brachytherapy: A meta-analysis and systematic review. Brachytherapy. 2020 Feb.19(3):328-336. Pubmedid: 32122807.
- Sun J, Kirichenko DA, Chung JL, Carr MJ, Eroglu Z, Khushalani NI, Markowitz J, Messina JL, Sondak VK, Zager JS, Patel SY. Perioperative Outcomes of Melanoma Patients Undergoing Surgery After Receiving Immunotherapy or Targeted Therapy. World J Surg. 2020 Apr.44(4):1283-1293. Pubmedid: 31811340.
- Patel SY, Ackerman RS, Boulware D, Poch MA. Epidural anesthesia may be associated with increased postoperative complications in the elderly population undergoing radical cystectomy: an analysis from the National Surgical Quality Improvement Project (NSQIP) database. World J Urol. 2020 Apr. Pubmedid: 32318858. Pmcid: PMC7771372.
- Ackerman RS, Tufts CW, DePinto DG, Chen J, Altshuler JR, Serdiuk A, Cohen JB, Patel SY. How Sweet Is This? A Review and Evaluation of Preoperative Carbohydrate Loading in the Enhanced Recovery After Surgery Model. Nutr Clin Pract. 2019 Oct.35(2):246-253. Pubmedid: 31637778.
- Ackerman RS, Hirschi M, Trona N, Joyce DM, Evans T, Patel SY. Incidence of Thromboembolic Events in Oncology Patients Receiving Intraoperative Tranexamic Acid During Orthopedic Surgery: A Retrospective Review at a Comprehensive Cancer Center. A A Pract. 2019 Nov.14(2):63-66. Pubmedid: 31703004.
- Cohen JB, Hirschi MR, Patel SY, Liu J. Non-thoracic Source of Bleeding During Left-sided Thoracic Surgery. Cureus. 2019 May.11(5):e4593. Pubmedid: 31309018. Pmcid: PMC6609276.
- Ackerman RS, Hirschi M, Alford B, Evans T, Kiluk JV, Patel SY. Enhanced REVENUE After Surgery? A Cost-Standardized Enhanced Recovery Pathway for Mastectomy Decreases Length of Stay. World J Surg. 2019 Mar.43(3):839-845. Pubmedid: 30456482.
- Gonsalves SG, Dirksen RT, Sangkuhl K, Pulk R, Alvarellos M, Vo T, Hikino K, Roden D, Klein T, Mark Poler S, Patel S, Caudle KE, Gordon R, Brandom B, Biesecker LG. Clinical Pharmacogenetics Implementation Consortium (CPIC) Guideline for the Use of Potent Volatile Anesthetic Agents and Succinylcholine in the Context of RYR1 or CACNA1S Genotypes. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2019 Jun.105(6):1338-1344. Pubmedid: 30499100. Pmcid: PMC6513720.
- Aldawoodi NN, Escher AR, Ninan D, Patel SY. Transesophageal Echocardiography During Cytoreductive Surgery with Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy: A Novel Approach. Cureus. 2019 Jul.11(7):e5062. Pubmedid: 31328075. Pmcid: PMC6624119.
- Ackerman RS, Cohen JB, Getting REG, Patel SY. Are you seeing this: the impact of steep Trendelenburg position during robot-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy on intraocular pressure: a brief review of the literature. J Robot Surg. 2019 Feb.13(1):35-40. Pubmedid: 30047103.
- Patel SY, Garcia Getting RE, Alford B, Hussein K, Schaible BJ, Boulware D, Lee JK, Gilbert SM, Powsang JM, Sexton WJ, Spiess PE, Poch MA. Improved Outcomes of Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) Protocol for Radical Cystectomy with Addition of a Multidisciplinary Care Process in a US Comprehensive Cancer Care Center. World J Surg. 2018 Sep.42(9):2701-2707. Pubmedid: 29750321. Pmcid: PMC7771278.
- Chipollini J, Alford B, Boulware DC, Forget P, Gilbert SM, Lockhart JL, Pow-Sang JM, Sexton WJ, Spiess PE, Poch MA, Patel SY. Epidural anesthesia and cancer outcomes in bladder cancer patients: is it the technique or the medication? A matched-cohort analysis from a tertiary referral center. BMC Anesthesiol. 2018 Nov.18(1):157. Pubmedid: 30390636. Pmcid: PMC6215353.
- Hafez O, Ackerman RS, Evans T, Patel SY, Padalia DM. Mental Nerve Blocks for Lip Brachytherapy: A Case Report. A A Pract. 2018 May.10(10):265-266. Pubmedid: 29757796.
- Evans T, Hanna M, Hafez O, Patel SY. Use of Laryngeal Mask Airway to Preoxygenate and Ventilate Through a Laryngeal Stoma in a Patient Undergoing General Anesthesia: A Case Report. A A Pract. 2018 Jun.10(11):296-297. Pubmedid: 29634570.
- Evans T, Patel S. Two Consecutive Preoperative Cardiac Arrests Involving Vancomycin in a Patient Presenting for Hip Disarticulation: A Case Report. A A Case Rep. 2017 Nov.9(9):262-264. Pubmedid: 28622151.
- Hafez O, Ackerman RS, Evans T, Patel SY, Padalia DM. Mental Nerve Blocks for Lip Brachytherapy: A Case Report. A A Case Rep. 2017 Nov. Pubmedid: 29194063.
- Chipollini JJ, Tang DH, Patel SY, Garcia-Getting RE, Gilbert SM, Pow-Sang JM, Sexton WJ, Spiess PE, Poch MA. Perioperative Transfusion of Leukocyte-depleted Blood Products in Contemporary Radical Cystectomy Cohort Does Not Adversely Impact Short-term Survival. Urology. 2017 May.103:142-148. Pubmedid: 28011275.
- Groshev A, Padalia D, Patel S, Garcia-Getting R, Sahebjam S, Forsyth PA, Vrionis FD, Etame AB. Clinical outcomes from maximum-safe resection of primary and metastatic brain tumors using awake craniotomy. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2017 Jun.157:25-30. Pubmedid: 28384595.
- Chipollini J, Tang DH, Hussein K, Patel SY, Garcia-Getting RE, Pow-Sang JM, Gilbert SM, Sexton WJ, Spiess PE, Poch MA. Does Implementing an Enhanced Recovery After Surgery Protocol Increase Hospital Charges? Comparisons From a Radical Cystectomy Program at a Specialty Cancer Center. Urology. 2017 Jul.105:108-112. Pubmedid: 28342928.
- Patel S, Hafez O, Sexton WJ, Edwards DA. Perioperative Management of a Patient With an Intrathecal Drug Delivery Device Infusing Ziconotide: A Case Report. A A Case Rep. 2017 Feb.8(4):78-80. Pubmedid: 28195861.
- Patel SY, Edwards DA, Boulware DC, Serdiuk A, Cook SJ, Benson K, Rice MJ. A novel approach to improving efficiency and cost saving in preoperative blood preparation. Transfusion. 2017 Dec.57(12):3035-3039. Pubmedid: 28940392.
- Patel SY, Evans RM, Garcia Getting RE, Suz P. Pectoral Nerve and Transverse Abdominis Plane Block in a Patient Undergoing Mastectomy With Transverse Rectus Abdominis Muscle Flap: A Case Report. A A Case Rep. 2017 Apr.8(8):210-212. Pubmedid: 28118214.
- Patel S, Hafez O, Sexton WJ, Edwards DA. Perioperative Management of a Patient With an Intrathecal Drug Delivery Device Infusing Ziconotide. A A Case Rep. 2016 Dec. Pubmedid: 27941483.
- Alvarellos ML, McDonagh EM, Patel S, McLeod HL, Altman RB, Klein TE. PharmGKB summary: succinylcholine pathway, pharmacokinetics/pharmacodynamics. Pharmacogenet Genomics. 2015 Dec.25(12):622-630. Pubmedid: 26398623. Pmcid: PMC4631707.
- Kaazempur-Mofrad MR, Younis HF, Patel S, Isasi AG, Chung C, Chan RC, Hinton DP, Lee RT, Kamm RD. Cyclic Strain in Human Carotid Bifurcation and its Potential Correlation to Atherogenesis: Idealized and Anatomically-Realistic Models. J Eng Math. 2003.47(3-4):299-314.
- Williamson SD, Lam Y, Younis HF, Huang H, Patel S, Kaazempur-Mofrad MR, Kamm RD. On the Sensitivity of Wall Stresses in Diseased Arteries to Variable Material Properties. J Biomech Eng. 2003.125(1):147-155.
- Poch MA, Patel S, Garcia-Getting R. The present and future enhanced recovery after surgery for bladder cancer. Int Braz J Urol. 44(6):1266-1271. Pubmedid: 30044593. Pmcid: PMC6442167.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.