Find a Doctor
Sebastian Feuerlein, MD
Program: Diagnostic Imaging and Interventional Radiology
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Dr. Feuerlein received his MD from the University of Wuerzburg School of Medicine in Germany in 2001. After several years of surgical training including a General Surgery internship at the University of Rochester he completed a Diagnostic Radiology Residency at the University of Ulm, Germany. He subsequently completed an Abdominal Imaging fellowship at Duke University in 2011. Prior to joining Moffitt in early 2017, Dr. Feuerlein served 5 years as Director of Body MRI and director of the Abdominal Imaging fellowship in the Department of Radiology at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville. His clinical interests include advanced applications in body MRI, diffusion-weighted imaging, prostate MRI and hepatobiliary imaging. Dr. Feuerlein is a member of numerous professional societies, serves as manuscript reviewer for multiple highly ranked scientific journals and published over 35 journal articles and 2 book chapters.
Education & Training
- Duke University - Abdominal Imaging
- University of Ulm (Germany) - Diagnostic Radiology
- Julius-Maximilians-University, Wuerzburg (Germany) - MD
- Felder SI, Feuerlein S, Parsee A, Imanirad I, Sanchez J, Dessureault S, Kim R, Hoffe S, Frakes J, Costello J. Endoscopic and MRI response evaluation following neoadjuvant treatment for rectal cancer: a pictorial review with matched MRI, endoscopic, and pathologic examples. Abdom Radiol (NY). 2020 Oct. Pubmedid: 33111189.
- Lu H, Parra NA, Qi J, Gage K, Li Q, Fan S, Feuerlein S, Pow-Sang J, Gillies R, Choi JW, Balagurunathan Y. Repeatability of Quantitative Imaging Features in Prostate Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Front Oncol. 2020 May.10:551. Pubmedid: 32457827. Pmcid: PMC7221156.
- Thomas KL, Jeong D, Montilla-Soler J, Feuerlein S. The role of diagnostic imaging in the primary testicular cancer: initial staging, response assessment and surveillance. Transl Androl Urol. 2020 Jan.9(Suppl 1):S3-S13. Pubmedid: 32055480. Pmcid: PMC6995841.
- Tchelebi LT, Romesser PB, Feuerlein S, Hoffe S, Latifi K, Felder S, Chuong MD. Magnetic Resonance Guided Radiotherapy for Rectal Cancer: Expanding Opportunities for Non-Operative Management. Cancer Control. 2020 Jan.27(1). Pubmedid: 33118384.
- Johnson EM, Gage KL, Feuerlein S, Jeong D. Cardiac Magnetic Resonance for the Evaluation of Suspected Cardiac Thrombus: Conventional and Emerging Techniques. J Vis Exp. 2019 Jun.(148). Pubmedid: 31259905.
- Khot R, McGettigan M, Patrie JT, Feuerlein S. Quantification of gas exchange-related upward motion of the liver during prolonged breathholding-potential reduction of motion artifacts in abdominal MRI. Br J Radiol. 2019 Dec.93(1106):20190549. Pubmedid: 31778311. Pmcid: PMC7055431.
- Li Q, Lu H, Choi J, Gage K, Feuerlein S, Pow-Sang JM, Gillies R, Balagurunathan Y. Radiological semantics discriminate clinically significant grade prostate cancer. Cancer Imaging. 2019 Dec.19(1):81. Pubmedid: 31796094. Pmcid: PMC6889697.
- Sabesan A, Felder S, Feuerlein S, Lam C, McGettigan M, Powers BD, Dessureault S, Dineen SP. Preoperative Radiographic Assessment Predicts Incomplete Cytoreduction in Patients with Low Grade Mucinous Adenocarcinoma of the Appendix. Ann Surg Oncol. 2019 Aug.27(1):165-170. Pubmedid: 31388776.
- Trifiletti DM, Libby B, Feuerlein S, Kim T, Garda A, Watkins WT, Erickson S, Ornan A, Showalter TN. Implementing MRI-based target delineation for cervical cancer treatment within a rapid workflow environment for image-guided brachytherapy: A practical approach for centers without in-room MRI. Brachytherapy. 2016 Jul.14(6):905-909. Pubmedid: 26329165.
- Feuerlein S, Davenport MS, Krishnaraj A, Merkle EM, Gupta RT. Computed high b-value diffusion-weighted imaging improves lesion contrast and conspicuity in prostate cancer. Prostate Cancer P D. 2015 Jun.18(2):155-160. Pubmedid: 25732928.
- Heye T, Davenport MS, Horvath JJ, Feuerlein S, Breault SR, Bashir MR, Merkle EM, Boll DT. Reproducibility of dynamic contrast-enhanced MR imaging. Part I. Perfusion characteristics in the female pelvis by using multiple computer-aided diagnosis perfusion analysis solutions. Radiology. 2013 Mar.266(3):801-811. Pubmedid: 23220897.
- Heye T, Merkle EM, Reiner CS, Davenport MS, Horvath JJ, Feuerlein S, Breault SR, Gall P, Bashir MR, Dale BM, Kiraly AP, Boll DT. Reproducibility of dynamic contrast-enhanced MR imaging. Part II. Comparison of intra- and interobserver variability with manual region of interest placement versus semiautomatic lesion segmentation and histogram analysis. Radiology. 2013 Mar.266(3):812-821. Pubmedid: 23220891.
- Davenport MS, Heye T, Dale BM, Horvath JJ, Breault SR, Feuerlein S, Bashir MR, Boll DT, Merkle EM. Inter- and intra-rater reproducibility of quantitative dynamic contrast enhanced MRI using TWIST perfusion data in a uterine fibroid model. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2013 Aug.38(2):329-335. Pubmedid: 23239041.
- Feuerlein S, Gupta RT, Boll DT, Merkle EM. Hepatocellular MR contrast agents: enhancement characteristics of liver parenchyma and portal vein after administration of gadoxetic acid in comparison to gadobenate dimeglumine. Eur J Radiol. 2012 Sep.81(9):2037-2041. Pubmedid: 21719224.
- Feuerlein S, Grimm LJ, Davenport MS, Haystead CM, Miller CM, Neville AM, Jaffe TA. Can the localization of primary colonic tumors be improved by staging CT without specific bowel preparation compared to optical colonoscopy?. Eur J Radiol. 2012 Oct.81(10):2538-2542. Pubmedid: 22209431.
- Gupta RT, Marin D, Boll DT, Husarik DB, Davis DE, Feuerlein S, Merkle EM. Hepatic hemangiomas: difference in enhancement pattern on 3T MR imaging with gadobenate dimeglumine versus gadoxetate disodium. Eur J Radiol. 2012 Oct.81(10):2457-2462. Pubmedid: 22138122.
- Grimm LJ, Feuerlein S, Bashir M, Nelson RC. Effectiveness of a breath-hold monitoring system in improving the reproducibility of different breath-hold positions in multiphasic CT imaging. Clin Imaging. 2012 Nov.36(6):754-757. Pubmedid: 23154005.
- Feuerlein S, Heye TJ, Bashir MR, Boll DT. Iodine quantification using dual-energy multidetector computed tomography imaging: phantom study assessing the impact of iterative reconstruction schemes and patient habitus on accuracy. Invest Radiol. 2012 Nov.47(11):656-661. Pubmedid: 22996313.
- Nelson RC, Feuerlein S, Boll DT. New iterative reconstruction techniques for cardiovascular computed tomography: how do they work, and what are the advantages and disadvantages?. J Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr. 2012 Jan.5(5):286-292. Pubmedid: 21875826.
- Pauls S, Schmidt SA, Juchems MS, Klass O, Luster M, Reske SN, Brambs HJ, Feuerlein S. Diffusion-weighted MR imaging in comparison to integrated [¹⁸F]-FDG PET/CT for N-staging in patients with lung cancer. Eur J Radiol. 2012 Jan.81(1):178-182. Pubmedid: 20932700.
- Klass O, Walker MJ, Olszewski ME, Bahner J, Feuerlein S, Hoffmann MH, Lang A. Quantification of aortic valve area at 256-slice computed tomography: comparison with transesophageal echocardiography and cardiac catheterization in subjects with high-grade aortic valve stenosis prior to percutaneous valve replacement. Eur J Radiol. 2011 Oct.80(1):151-157. Pubmedid: 20832221.
- Feuerlein S, Boll DT, Gupta RT, Ringe KI, Marin D, Merkle EM. Gadoxetate disodium-enhanced hepatic MRI: dose-dependent contrast dynamics of hepatic parenchyma and portal vein. Ajr Am J Roentgenol. 2011 Jan.196(1):W18-W24. Pubmedid: 21178026.
- Philips GM, Chan IS, Swiderska M, Schroder VT, Guy C, Karaca GF, Moylan C, Venkatraman T, Feuerlein S, Syn WK, Jung Y, Witek RP, Choi S, Michelotti GA, Rangwala F, Merkle E, Lascola C, Diehl AM. Hedgehog signaling antagonist promotes regression of both liver fibrosis and hepatocellular carcinoma in a murine model of primary liver cancer. PLoS One. 2011 Dec.6(9):e23943. Pubmedid: 21912653. Pmcid: PMC3166282.
- Feuerlein S, Stolz J, Muche R, Hetzel M, Klass O, Brambs HJ, Pauls S. Cisterna chyli in patients with malignancy--influence of cardiovascular disease on the prevalence of the cisterna. Eur J Radiol. 2011 Aug.79(2):262-265. Pubmedid: 20223610.
- Feuerlein S, Kern M, Muche R, Ernst AS, Juchems MS, Pauls S. Cisterna chyli in patients with malignancy--is there a correlation between changes in cisterna volume and progression or regression of the tumor?. Eur J Radiol. 2010 Nov.76(2):177-179. Pubmedid: 19540693.
- Klass O, Walker M, Siebach A, Stuber T, Feuerlein S, Juchems M, Hoffmann MH. Prospectively gated axial CT coronary angiography: comparison of image quality and effective radiation dose between 64- and 256-slice CT. Eur Radiol. 2010 May.20(5):1124-1131. Pubmedid: 19915848.
- Pauls S, Gulkin D, Feuerlein S, Muche R, Krüger S, Schmidt SA, Dharaiya E, Brambs HJ, Hetzel M. Assessment of COPD severity by computed tomography: correlation with lung functional testing. Clin Imaging. 2010 May.34(3):172-178. Pubmedid: 20416480.
- Possekel AK, Feuerlein S, Juchems MS. [Rosai-Dorfman disease with bilateral kidney involvement: morphologic image characteristics of a very rare organ manifestation]. Rofo. 2010 Jan.182(1):71-72. Pubmedid: 19676020.
- Klass O, Kleinhans S, Walker MJ, Olszewski M, Feuerlein S, Juchems M, Hoffmann MH. Coronary plaque imaging with 256-slice multidetector computed tomography: interobserver variability of volumetric lesion parameters with semiautomatic plaque analysis software. Int J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2010 Aug.26(6):711-720. Pubmedid: 20339922.
- Breining T, Juchems MS, Feuerlein S. [Mechanical ileus after prolapse of the small intestine into a fenestrated kidney cyst]. Rofo. 2010 Aug.182(8):720-722. Pubmedid: 20425683.
- Feuerlein S, Pauls S, Juchems MS, Stuber T, Hoffmann MH, Brambs HJ, Ernst AS. Pitfalls in abdominal diffusion-weighted imaging: how predictive is restricted water diffusion for malignancy. Ajr Am J Roentgenol. 2009 Oct.193(4):1070-1076. Pubmedid: 19770331.
- Klass O, Mutlu S, Hohl K, Feuerlein S, Jeltsch M, Brambs HJ, Hoffmann MH. Multidetector computed tomography coronary angiography: sublingual nitroglycerine improves image quality significantly because of peripheral coronary vasodilatation. J Comput Assist Tomo. 2009 Mar.33(2):199-203. Pubmedid: 19346845.
- Feuerlein S, Klass O, Pasquarelli A, Brambs HJ, Wunderlich A, Duerk JL, Aschoff AJ, Hoffmann MH. Coronary MR imaging: navigator echo biofeedback increases navigator efficiency--initial experience. Acad Radiol. 2009 Mar.16(3):374-379. Pubmedid: 19201367.
- Stuber T, Hoffmann MH, Stuber G, Klass O, Feuerlein S, Aschoff AJ. Pitfalls in detection of acute gastrointestinal bleeding with multi-detector row helical CT. Abdom Imaging. 2009 Jul.34(4):476-482. Pubmedid: 18597139.
- Feuerlein S, Kreuzer G, Schmidt SA, Muche R, Juchems MS, Aschoff AJ, Brambs HJ, Pauls S. The cisterna chyli: prevalence, characteristics and predisposing factors. Eur Radiol. 2009 Jan.19(1):73-78. Pubmedid: 18726599.
- Jeltsch M, Klass O, Klein S, Feuerlein S, Aschoff AJ, Brambs HJ, Hoffmann MH. Aortic wall thickness assessed by multidetector computed tomography as a predictor of coronary atherosclerosis. Int J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2009 Feb.25(2):209-217. Pubmedid: 19051056.
- Müller M, Schultheiss M, Feuerlein S. [Myelolipoma versus extramedullary Hematopoiesis -- an unusual differential diagnosis in the presacral region]. Rofo. 2009 Feb.181(2):169-170. Pubmedid: 19137494.
- Klass O, Jeltsch M, Feuerlein S, Brunner H, Nagel HD, Walker MJ, Brambs HJ, Hoffmann MH. Prospectively gated axial CT coronary angiography: preliminary experiences with a novel low-dose technique. Eur Radiol. 2009 Apr.19(4):829-836. Pubmedid: 19011864.
- Feuerlein S, Roessl E, Proksa R, Martens G, Klass O, Jeltsch M, Rasche V, Brambs HJ, Hoffmann MH, Schlomka JP. Multienergy photon-counting K-edge imaging: potential for improved luminal depiction in vascular imaging. Radiology. 2008 Dec.249(3):1010-1016. Pubmedid: 18849505.
- Feuerlein S, Brambs HJ, Pauls S. [PTFE implant of the plica vocalis: pitfall in Wegener granulomatosis in contrast enhanced computer tomography]. Rofo. 2008 Apr.180(4):350-351. Pubmedid: 18499913.
- Williams VA, Watson TJ, Gellersen O, Feuerlein S, Molena D, Sillin LF, Jones C, Peters JH. Gastrectomy as a remedial operation for failed fundoplication. J Gastrointest Surg. 2007 Jan.11(1):29-35. Pubmedid: 17390183.
- Otto C, Feuerlein S, Timmermann W, Ulrichs K, Hünig T, Thiede A, Gassel H. Investigation of the immunosuppressive potential of anti-CD28 antibodies for selective inhibition of the T-cell mediated alloresponse. Transplant P. 2002 Sep.34(6):2376. Pubmedid: 12270444.
- Hoppe H, Feuerlein S, Geiger D, Trenkel K, Thiede A. [Conceptual and practical aspects of creating an internet presentation of a surgical department]. Zentralbl Chir. 2001 Aug.126(8):621-626. Pubmedid: 11519003.
- Pauls S, Breining T, Muche R, Schmidt SA, Wunderlich A, Krüger S, Brambs HJ, Feuerlein S. The role of dynamic, contrast-enhanced MRI in differentiating lung tumor subtypes. Clin Imaging. 35(4):259-265. Pubmedid: 21724117.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.