Find a Doctor Search
Cancer Types Treated: Colorectal Cancer, Gallbladder Cancer, Gastrointestinal Carcinoid Tumor, GIST (Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor), Liver Cancer, Mesothelioma, Neuroendocrine Tumor, Pancreatic Cancer, Small Intestine Cancer, Stomach (Gastric) Cancer, Esophageal Cancer
Dr. Sean Dineen is an Assistant Member of the Department of Gastrointestinal Oncology at Moffitt Cancer Center. Dr. Dineen has a particular interest in the treatment of patients with metastatic disease, including carcinomatosis. In particular, he focuses on patients that have developed peritoneal spread of disease and the application of heated intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) in the treatment of this advanced process. Dr. Dineen’s research focuses on identifying how the tumor and the local environment interact to promote metastatic disease. Dr. Dineen is a native of Lexington, KY. He earned his medical degree from the University of Louisville. He completed residency in general surgery at UT Southwestern in Dallas, which included a research fellowship focused on the tumor microenvironment. He subsequently completed a fellowship in Complex General Surgical Oncology at MD Anderson Cancer Center, where he earned the Clinical Excellence award from the Department of Surgery. Dr. Dineen joins Moffitt from the University of Kentucky, where he was previously the Medical Director of the Multidisciplinary Clinic at Markey Cancer Center. Dr. Dineen has an excellent publication record and has presented nationally and internationally on GI and peritoneal diseases. He is a member of the American College of Surgeons (ACS), the Americas Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association (AHPBA) and the Society for Surgeons of the Alimentary Tract (SSAT).
Education & Training
- Complex General Surgical Oncology
- General Surgery
- UT Southwestern - Therapeutic Oncology Research - Therapeutic Oncology
- MD Anderson Cancer Center - Complex General Surgical Oncology
- UT Southwestern - General Surgery
- University of Louisville College of Medicine - MD
If you believe you are eligible for one of these trials or studies, please call
- Frohman HA, Martin JT, Le AT, Dineen SP, Tzeng CD. Failure to operate on resectable gastric cancer: implications for policy changes and regionalization. J Surg Res. 2017 Jun;214:229-239. Pubmedid: 28624049.
- Le AT, Huang B, Hnoosh D, Saeed H, Dineen SP, Hosein PJ, Durbin EB, Kudrimoti M, McGrath PC, Tzeng CD. Effect of complications on oncologic outcomes after pancreaticoduodenectomy for pancreatic cancer. J Surg Res. 2017 Jun;214:1-8. Pubmedid: 28624029.
- Le AT, Harris JW, Maynard E, Dineen SP, Tzeng CD. Thromboelastography demonstrates perioperative hypercoagulability in hepato-pancreato-biliary patients and supports routine administration of preoperative and early postoperative venous thromboembolism chemoprophylaxis. HPB (Oxford). 2017 Feb;19(2):154-161. Pubmedid: 27894845.
- Dineen SP, Royal RE, Mansfield PF, Fournier KF. Comment on: External Validation of the Simplified Preoperative Assessment for Low-Grade Mucinous Adenocarcinoma of the Appendix. Ann Surg Oncol. 2017 Dec;24(Suppl 3):627. Pubmedid: 29124485.
- Saeed H, Hnoosh D, Huang B, Durbin EB, McGrath PC, Desimone P, Maynard E, Anthony LB, Dineen SP, Hosein PJ, Tzeng CW. Defining the optimal timing of adjuvant therapy for resected pancreatic adenocarcinoma: A statewide cancer registry analysis. J Surg Oncol. 2016 Sep;114(4):451-455. Pubmedid: 27238300.
- Roland CL, May CD, Watson KL, Al Sannaa GA, Dineen SP, Feig R, Landers S, Ingram DR, Wang WL, Guadagnolo BA, Feig B, Hunt KK, Cormier JN, Lazar AJ, Torres KE. Analysis of Clinical and Molecular Factors Impacting Oncologic Outcomes in Undifferentiated Pleomorphic Sarcoma. Ann Surg Oncol. 2016 Jul;23(7):2220-2228. Pubmedid: 26847678. Pmcid: PMC4937623.
- Dineen SP, Robinson KA, Roland CL, Beaty KA, Rafeeq S, Mansfield PF, Royal RE, Fournier KF. Feeding tube placement during cytoreductive surgery and heated intraperitoneal chemotherapy does not improve postoperative nutrition and is associated with longer length of stay and higher readmission rates. J Surg Res. 2016 Jan;200(1):158-163. Pubmedid: 26342838.
- Kirane A, Ludwig KF, Sorrelle N, Haaland G, Sandal T, Ranaweera R, Toombs JE, Wang M, Dineen SP, Micklem D, Dellinger MT, Lorens JB, Brekken RA. Warfarin Blocks Gas6-Mediated Axl Activation Required for Pancreatic Cancer Epithelial Plasticity and Metastasis. Cancer Res. 2015 Sep;75(18):3699-3705. Pubmedid: 26206560. Pmcid: PMC4572915.
- Dineen SP, Royal RE, Hughes MS, Sagebiel T, Bhosale P, Overman M, Matamoros A, Mansfield PF, Fournier KF. A Simplified Preoperative Assessment Predicts Complete Cytoreduction and Outcomes in Patients with Low-Grade Mucinous Adenocarcinoma of the Appendix. Ann Surg Oncol. 2015 Oct;22(11):3640-3646. Pubmedid: 25698402. Pmcid: PMC4565864.
- Dineen SP, Roland CL, Feig R, May C, Zhou S, Demicco E, Sannaa GA, Ingram D, Wang WL, Ravi V, Guadagnolo A, Lev D, Pollock RE, Hunt K, Cormier J, Lazar A, Feig B, Torres KE. Radiation-Associated Undifferentiated Pleomorphic Sarcoma is Associated with Worse Clinical Outcomes than Sporadic Lesions. Ann Surg Oncol. 2015 Nov;22(12):3913-3920. Pubmedid: 25743327. Pmcid: PMC4561200.
- Dineen SP, Pham TH, Murray BW, Parker BJ, Hartless K, Anthony T, Huerta S. Feasibility of subcutaneous gentamicin and pressurized irrigation as adjuvant strategies to reduce surgical site infection in colorectal surgery: results of a pilot study. Am Surg. 2015 Jun;81(6):573-579. Pubmedid: 26031269.
- Dineen S, Lynch PM, Rodriguez-Bigas MA, Bannon S, Taggart M, Reeves C, Modaro C, Overman M, Chang GJ, Skibber JM, You YN. A Prospective Six Sigma Quality Improvement Trial to Optimize Universal Screening for Genetic Syndrome Among Patients With Young-Onset Colorectal Cancer. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2015 Jul;13(7):865-872. Pubmedid: 26150580.
- Huerta S, Pham T, Foster S, Livingston EH, Dineen S. Outcomes of emergent inguinal hernia repair in veteran octogenarians. Am Surg. 2014 May;80(5):479-483. Pubmedid: 24887727.
- Dineen SP, Bailey SH, Pham TH, Huerta S. Clostridium difficile enteritis: A report of two cases and systematic literature review. World J Gastrointest Surg. 2013 Mar;5(3):37-42. Pubmedid: 23556059. Pmcid: PMC3615302.
- Hakiman H, Delibero J, Pham T, Dineen S, Huerta S. Coughing-induced bowel transection in a patient with an incarcerated inguinal hernia: a case report. J Med Case Rep. 2013 Feb;7:47. Pubmedid: 23414609. Pmcid: PMC3582600.
- Huerta S, Gao X, Dineen S, Kapur P, Saha D, Meyer J. Role of p53, Bax, p21, and DNA-PKcs in radiation sensitivity of HCT-116 cells and xenografts. Surgery. 2013 Aug;154(2):143-151. Pubmedid: 23889944.
- Kayatta MO, Dineen SP, Sica G, Puskas JD, Pickens A. Primary pericardial mesothelioma in a 19-year-old presenting as pericarditis. Ann Thorac Surg. 2013 Aug;96(2):680-681. Pubmedid: 23353042.
- Chambliss KL, Wu Q, Oltmann S, Konaniah ES, Umetani M, Korach KS, Thomas GD, Mineo C, Yuhanna IS, Kim SH, Madak-Erdogan Z, Maggi A, Dineen SP, Roland CL, Hui DY, Brekken RA, Katzenellenbogen JA, Katzenellenbogen BS, Shaul PW. Non-nuclear estrogen receptor alpha signaling promotes cardiovascular protection but not uterine or breast cancer growth in mice. J Clin Invest. 2010 Jul;120(7):2319-2330. Pubmedid: 20577047. Pmcid: PMC2898582.
- Arnold SA, Rivera LB, Miller AF, Carbon JG, Dineen SP, Xie Y, Castrillon DH, Sage EH, Puolakkainen P, Bradshaw AD, Brekken RA. Lack of host SPARC enhances vascular function and tumor spread in an orthotopic murine model of pancreatic carcinoma. Dis Model Mech. 2010 Jan;3(1-2):57-72. Pubmedid: 20007485. Pmcid: PMC2806901.
- Roland CL, Dineen SP, Toombs JE, Carbon JG, Smith CW, Brekken RA, Barnett CC. Tumor-derived intercellular adhesion molecule-1 mediates tumor-associated leukocyte infiltration in orthotopic pancreatic xenografts. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2010 Feb;235(2):263-270. Pubmedid: 20404043.
- Ramos AL, Darabi R, Akbarloo N, Borges L, Catanese J, Dineen SP, Brekken RA, Perlingeiro RC. Clonal analysis reveals a common progenitor for endothelial, myeloid, and lymphoid precursors in umbilical cord blood. Circ Res. 2010 Dec;107(12):1460-1469. Pubmedid: 20947832.
- Murray BW, Huerta S, Dineen S, Anthony T. Surgical site infection in colorectal surgery: a review of the nonpharmacologic tools of prevention. J Am Coll Surg. 2010 Dec;211(6):812-822. Pubmedid: 20980173.
- Dineen SP, Roland CL, Greer R, Carbon JG, Toombs JE, Gupta P, Bardeesy N, Sun H, Williams N, Minna JD, Brekken RA. Smac mimetic increases chemotherapy response and improves survival in mice with pancreatic cancer. Cancer Res. 2010 Apr;70(7):2852-2861. Pubmedid: 20332237. Pmcid: PMC2848888.
- Roland CL, Lynn KD, Toombs JE, Dineen SP, Udugamasooriya DG, Brekken RA. Cytokine levels correlate with immune cell infiltration after anti-VEGF therapy in preclinical mouse models of breast cancer. PLoS One. 2009 Nov;4(11):e7669. Pubmedid: 19888452. Pmcid: PMC2766251.
- Dineen SP, Roland CL, Toombs JE, Kelher M, Silliman CC, Brekken RA, Barnett CC. The acellular fraction of stored platelets promotes tumor cell invasion. J Surg Res. 2009 May;153(1):132-137. Pubmedid: 18541268.
- Roland CL, Dineen SP, Lynn KD, Sullivan LA, Dellinger MT, Sadegh L, Sullivan JP, Shames DS, Brekken RA. Inhibition of vascular endothelial growth factor reduces angiogenesis and modulates immune cell infiltration of orthotopic breast cancer xenografts. Mol Cancer Ther. 2009 Jul;8(7):1761-1771. Pubmedid: 19567820.
- Dineen SP, Roland CL, Schwarz RE. Pancreatoduodenectomy with or without pyloric preservation: a clinical outcomes comparison. Hpb Surg. 2009 Feb;2008:719459. Pubmedid: 19197376. Pmcid: PMC2633452.
- Halberg N, Khan T, Trujillo ME, Wernstedt-Asterholm I, Attie AD, Sherwani S, Wang ZV, Landskroner-Eiger S, Dineen S, Magalang UJ, Brekken RA, Scherer PE. Hypoxia-inducible factor 1alpha induces fibrosis and insulin resistance in white adipose tissue. Mol Cell Biol. 2009 Aug;29(16):4467-4483. Pubmedid: 19546236. Pmcid: PMC2725728.
- Naylor RA, Hollett LA, Valentine RJ, Mitchell IC, Bowling MW, Ma AM, Dineen SP, Bruns BR, Scott DJ. Can medical students achieve skills proficiency through simulation training?. Am J Surg. 2009 Aug;198(2):277-282. Pubmedid: 19362285.
- Dineen SP, Sullivan LA, Beck AW, Miller AF, Carbon JG, Mamluk R, Wong H, Brekken RA. The Adnectin CT-322 is a novel VEGF receptor 2 inhibitor that decreases tumor burden in an orthotopic mouse model of pancreatic cancer. BMC Cancer. 2008 Nov;8:352. Pubmedid: 19038046. Pmcid: PMC2627916.
- Dineen S, Schumacher P, Thal E, Frankel H. CT reconstructions of right-sided blunt diaphragm rupture. J Trauma. 2008 May;64(5):1412. Pubmedid: 18277271.
- Dineen SP, Lynn KD, Holloway SE, Miller AF, Sullivan JP, Shames DS, Beck AW, Barnett CC, Fleming JB, Brekken RA. Vascular endothelial growth factor receptor 2 mediates macrophage infiltration into orthotopic pancreatic tumors in mice. Cancer Res. 2008 Jun;68(11):4340-4346. Pubmedid: 18519694.
- Udugamasooriya DG, Dineen SP, Brekken RA, Kodadek T. A peptoid "antibody surrogate" that antagonizes VEGF receptor 2 activity. J Am Chem Soc. 2008 Apr;130(17):5744-5752. Pubmedid: 18386897.
- Blumetti J, Luu M, Sarosi G, Hartless K, McFarlin J, Parker B, Dineen S, Huerta S, Asolati M, Varela E, Anthony T. Surgical site infections after colorectal surgery: do risk factors vary depending on the type of infection considered?. Surgery. 2007 Nov;142(5):704-711. Pubmedid: 17981191.
- Friese RS, Dineen S, Jennings A, Pruitt J, McBride D, Shafi S, Frankel H, Gentilello LM. Serum B-type natriuretic peptide: a marker of fluid resuscitation after injury?. J Trauma. 2007 Jun;62(6):1346-1350. Pubmedid: 17563646.
- Dineen S, Smith S, Arko FR. Successful percutaneous angioplasty and stenting of the radial artery in a patient with chronic upper extremity ischemia and digital gangrene. J Endovasc Ther. 2007 Jun;14(3):426-428. Pubmedid: 17723011.
- Schumacher P, Dineen S, Barnett C, Fleming J, Anthony T. The metastatic lymph node ratio predicts survival in colon cancer. Am J Surg. 2007 Dec;194(6):827-831. Pubmedid: 18005779.
- Dineen S, Withrow K, Voronovitch L, Munshi F, Nawbary MW, Lippmann S. QTc prolongation and high-dose olanzapine. Psychosomatics. 2003 Mar;44(2):174-175. Pubmedid: 12618539.
- Chao C, Studts JL, Abell T, Hadley T, Roetzer L, Dineen S, Lorenz D, YoussefAgha A, McMasters KM. Adjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer: how presentation of recurrence risk influences decision-making. J Clin Oncol. 2003 Dec;21(23):4299-4305. Pubmedid: 14581440.
- Crombag HS, Badiani A, Chan J, Dell'Orco J, Dineen SP, Robinson TE. The ability of environmental context to facilitate psychomotor sensitization to amphetamine can be dissociated from its effect on acute drug responsiveness and on conditioned responding. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2001 Jun;24(6):680-690. Pubmedid: 11331148.