Notice to Our Patients Regarding a Stolen Briefcase. Learn More
Find a Doctor
Odion Binitie, MD
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Cancer Focus: Osteosarcoma , Sarcoma
Dr. Binitie earned his MD degree from the University of South Florida College of Medicine. He completed an Orthopedic Surgery Residency at the University of South Florida. In 2012, he completed a Pediatric Orthopedic Fellowship at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and then a Musculoskeletal Oncology Fellowship at the University of South Florida at Moffitt Cancer Center. Dr. Binitie’s clinical interests include bone and soft tissue sarcomas, limb preserving surgeries and sarcomas in all patients, with a focus in pediatric and young adults. His research interests include limb preservation after oncologic resection, expandable pediatric limb reconstruction, and adolescent and young adult sarcomas.
Education & Training
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Children's Hospital of Philadelphia - Pediatric Orthopedics
- Moffitt Cancer Center - Muscoskeletal Oncology
- University of South Florida - Orthopedic Surgery
- University of South FloridaMD
- Aye JM, Chi YY, Tian J, Rudzinski ER, Binitie OT, Dasgupta R, Wolden SL, Hawkins DS, Gupta AA. Do children and adolescents with completely resected alveolar rhabdomyosarcoma require adjuvant radiation? A report from the Children's Oncology Group. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2020 May.67(5):e28243. Pubmedid: 32124549. Pmcid: PMC7325864.
- Piakong P, Kiatisevi P, Yau R, Trovarelli G, Lam YL, Joyce D, Ruggieri P, Temple HT, Letson D, Binitie O. What Is the 10-year Survivorship of Cemented Distal Femoral Endoprostheses for Tumor Reconstructions and What Radiographic Features Are Associated with Survival?. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2020 May. Pubmedid: 32469487.
- Arkader A, Williams A, Binitie O, Thacker MM, Farfalli GL. Pediatric Chondroblastoma and the Need for Lung Staging at Presentation. J Pediatr Orthop. 2020 Jul.40(9):e894-e897. Pubmedid: 32658156.
- Rizk VT, Naghavi AO, Brohl AS, Joyce DM, Binitie O, Kim Y, Hanna JP, Swank J, Gonzalez RJ, Reed DR, Druta M. Chemotherapy improves distant control in localized high-grade soft tissue sarcoma of the extremity/trunk. Clin Sarcoma Res. 2020 Jul.10:11. Pubmedid: 32670544. Pmcid: PMC7350709.
- Weiss AR, Chen YL, Scharschmidt TJ, Chi YY, Tian J, Black JO, Davis JL, Fanburg-Smith JC, Zambrano E, Anderson J, Arens R, Binitie O, Choy E, Davis JW, Hayes-Jordan A, Kao SC, Kayton ML, Kessel S, Lim R, Meyer WH, Million L, Okuno SH, Ostrenga A, Parisi MT, Pryma DA, Randall RL, Rosen MA, Schlapkohl M, Shulkin BL, Smith EA, Sorger JI, Terezakis S, Hawkins DS, Spunt SL, Wang D. Pathological response in children and adults with large unresected intermediate-grade or high-grade soft tissue sarcoma receiving preoperative chemoradiotherapy with or without pazopanib (ARST1321): a multicentre, randomised, open-label, phase 2 trial. Lancet Oncol. 2020 Aug.21(8):1110-1122. Pubmedid: 32702309.
- Morris CD, Tunn PU, Rodeberg DA, Terwisscha van Scheltinga S, Binitie O, Godzinski J, Dall'Igna P, Million L, Hawkins DS, Koscielniak E, Bisogno G, Rogers TN. Surgical management of extremity rhabdomyosarcoma: A consensus opinion from the Children's Oncology Group, the European Pediatric Soft-Tissue Sarcoma Study Group, and the Cooperative Weichteilsarkom Studiengruppe. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2020 Aug.e28608. Pubmedid: 32776456.
- Reed DR, Naghavi A, Binitie O. Sarcoma as a Model for Adolescent and Young Adult Care. J Oncol Pract. 2019 May.15(5):239-247. Pubmedid: 31075215.
- Caracciolo JT, Henderson-Jackson E, Binitie O. Synovial sarcoma of bone: Sarcoma typically of soft tissues presenting as a primary bone tumor. Radiol Case Rep. 2019 Feb.14(2):204-207. Pubmedid: 30425775. Pmcid: PMC6231113.
- Binitie O. CORR Insights®: Tenosynovial Giant Cell Tumors in Children: A Similar Entity Compared With Adults. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2018 Sep.476(9):1813-1814. Pubmedid: 29470238. Pmcid: PMC6259785.
- Borinstein SC, Steppan D, Hayashi M, Loeb DM, Isakoff MS, Binitie O, Brohl AS, Bridge JA, Stavas M, Shinohara ET, Meyer WH, Reed DR, Wagner LM. Consensus and controversies regarding the treatment of rhabdomyosarcoma. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2018 Feb;65(2). Pubmedid: 28905489.
- Peters K, Caracciolo JT, Henderson-Jackson E, Binitie O. Myopericytoma/myopericytomatosis of the lower extremity in two young patients: a recently designated rare soft tissue neoplasm. Radiol Case Rep. 2018 Feb.13(1):275-280. Pubmedid: 29552265. Pmcid: PMC5851063.
- Fontenot PB, Jesurajan J, Bui M, Reed D, Binitie O. Recurrent Aneurysmal Bone Cyst of the Distal Fibula Treated with Denosumab and Curettage. Case Rep Oncol Med. 2018 Dec.2018:1574343. Pubmedid: 30631617. Pmcid: PMC6304848.
- Christopher Z, Binitie O, Henderson-Jackson E, Perno J, Makanji RJ. Langerhans cell histiocytosis of bone in an adult: A case report. Radiol Case Rep. 2018 Apr.13(2):310-314. Pubmedid: 29904462. Pmcid: PMC5999879.
- Reed DR, Hayashi M, Wagner L, Binitie O, Steppan DA, Brohl AS, Shinohara ET, Bridge JA, Loeb DM, Borinstein SC, Isakoff MS. Treatment pathway of bone sarcoma in children, adolescents, and young adults. Cancer. 2017 Jun;123(12):2206-2218. Pubmedid: 28323337. Pmcid: PMC5485018.
- Naghavi AO, Gonzalez RJ, Scott JG, Mullinax JE, Abuodeh YA, Kim Y, Binitie O, Ahmed KA, Bui MM, Saini AS, Zager JS, Biagioli MC, Letson D, Harrison LB, Fernandez DC. Implications of staged reconstruction and adjuvant brachytherapy in the treatment of recurrent soft tissue sarcoma. Brachytherapy. 2017 Jul;15(4):495-503. Pubmedid: 27180128.
- Kadhim M, Binitie O, O'Toole P, Grigoriou E, De Mattos CB, Dormans JP. Surgical resection of osteoid osteoma and osteoblastoma of the spine. J Pediatr Orthop B. 2017 Jul;26(4):362-369. Pubmedid: 27832013.
- Durfee RA, Sabo SA, Letson GD, Binitie O, Cheong D. Percutaneous Acetabuloplasty for Metastatic Lesions to the Pelvis. Orthopedics. 2017 Jan;40(1):e170-e175. Pubmedid: 27783835.
- Reed DR, Oshrine B, Pratt C, Fridgen O, Elstner C, Wilson L, Soliman H, Lee MC, McLeod HL, Shah B, Donovan KA, Pabbathi S, Turney M, Binitie O, Healy C, Nieder M, Shaw PH, Galligan A, Letson GD, Stern M, Quinn GP, Davies S. Sink or Collaborate: How the Immersive Model Has Helped Address Typical Adolescent and Young Adult Barriers at a Single Institution and Kept the Adolescent and Young Adult Program Afloat. J Adolesc Young Adult Oncol. 2017 Dec;6(4):503-511. Pubmedid: 28777007. Pmcid: PMC5725631.
- Hoggard TM, Henderson-Jackson E, Bui MM, Caracciolo J, Teer JK, Yoder S, Binitie O, Gonzalez RJ, Brohl AS, Reed DR. Myoepithelial carcinoma with RB1 mutation: remarkable chemosensitivity to carcinoma of unknown origin therapy. BMC Cancer. 2017 Apr;17(1):250. Pubmedid: 28390395. Pmcid: PMC5385017.
- Bertrand TE, Cruz A, Binitie O, Cheong D, Letson GD. Do Surgical Margins Affect Local Recurrence and Survival in Extremity, Nonmetastatic, High-grade Osteosarcoma?. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2016 Mar;474(3):677-683. Pubmedid: 26013153. Pmcid: PMC4746163.
- Groundland JS, Binitie O. Reconstruction After Tumor Resection in the Growing Child. Orthop Clin N Am. 2016 Jan;47(1):265-281. Pubmedid: 26614940.
- Doepker MP, Hanna KH, Thompson ZJ, Binitie OT, Letson DG, Gonzalez RJ. Recurrence and survival analysis of resected soft tissue sarcomas of pelvic retroperitoneal structures. J Surg Oncol. 2016 Jan.113(1):103-107. Pubmedid: 26744131.
- Groundland JS, Ambler SB, Houskamp LD, Orriola JJ, Binitie OT, Letson GD. Surgical and Functional Outcomes After Limb-Preservation Surgery for Tumor in Pediatric Patients: A Systematic Review. JBJS Rev. 2016 Feb;4(2). Pubmedid: 27490132.
- Henderson ER, Gao J, Groundland J, Binitie O, Letson GD. Expandable Total Humeral Replacement in a Child with Osteosarcoma. Case Rep Orthop. 2015 Jun;2015:690159. Pubmedid: 26090254. Pmcid: PMC4452195.
- Xu H, Niu X, Li Y, Binitie OT, Letson GD, Cheong D. What are the results using the modified trapdoor procedure to treat chondroblastoma of the femoral head?. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2014 Nov;472(11):3462-3467. Pubmedid: 25115583. Pmcid: PMC4182374.
- Haddox CL, Han G, Anijar L, Binitie O, Letson GD, Bui MM, Reed DR. Osteosarcoma in pediatric patients and young adults: a single institution retrospective review of presentation, therapy, and outcome. Sarcoma. 2014 Jun;2014:402509. Pubmedid: 24976784. Pmcid: PMC4021746.
- Binitie O, Tejiram S, Conway S, Cheong D, Temple HT, Letson GD. Adult soft tissue sarcoma local recurrence after adjuvant treatment without resection of core needle biopsy tract. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2013 Mar;471(3):891-898. Pubmedid: 22968531. Pmcid: PMC3563812.
- DeMattos C., Binitie O., Dormans J. . Pathological fractures in children. Bone Joint Res. 2012 Oct;1(10):272-280. Pubmedid: 23610658. Pmcid: PMC3626256.
- Binitie O, Flynn J. . Vertical Expandable Prosthetic Titanium Rib in Early-Onset Scoliosis. Semin Spine Surg. 2012 May;24(4):209-258.
- Henderson ER, Pepper AM, Marulanda G, Binitie OT, Cheong D, Letson GD. Outcome of lower-limb preservation with an expandable endoprosthesis after bone tumor resection in children. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012 Mar;94(6):537-547. Pubmedid: 22438003.
- Papanastassiou ID, Setzer M, Eleraky M, Baaj AA, Nam T, Binitie O, Katsares K, Cheong D, Vrionis FD. Minimally invasive sacroiliac fixation in oncologic patients with sacral insufficiency fractures using a fluoroscopy-based navigation system. J Spinal Disord Tech. 2011 Apr;24(2):76-82. Pubmedid: 20634734.
- Rosemurgy A, Binitie O, Araoutakis D, Thometz D, Giarelli N, Bloomston M, Goldin S, Albrink M. Reoperative fundoplications are effective treatment for dysphagia and recurrent gastroesophageal reflux. Am Surg. 2004 Dec;70(12):1061-1067. Pubmedid: 15663045.
- Bloomston M, Binitie O, Fraiji E, Murr M, Zervos E, Goldin S, Kudryk B, Zwiebel B, Black T, Rosemurgy A. Transcatheter arterial chemoembolization with or without radiofrequency ablation in the management of patients with advanced hepatic malignancy. Am Surg. 2002 Sep;68(9):827-831. Pubmedid: 12356160.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.