Moffitt Notice of Blackbaud Data Incident. Learn More
Find a Doctor
Mohammad Hussaini, MD
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Cancer Focus: Hodgkin Lymphoma , Leukemia , MDS, Multiple Myeloma-Plasma Cell Tumor , Myelodysplastic Syndromes (MDS) , Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
Dr. Hussaini earned his MD degree from the University of Illinois at Chicago – College of Medicine. Dr. Hussaini completed an Anatomic & Clinical Pathology Residency and Hematopathology Fellowship at Barnes-Jewish Hospital/Washington University Consortium. Dr. Hussaini most recently completed a Molecular Pathology Fellowship at the Barnes-Jewish Hospital/Washington University Consortium. Dr. Hussaini’s clinical interests are in the diagnosis and categorization of malignant hematologic conditions, particularly acute leukemias and non-Hodgkin lymphoma. His research focus is in investigating, identifying, and assaying for molecular markers in acute leukemia and lymphoma using molecular techniques, particularly next-generation sequencing, to actualize the potential of personalized medicine in hematologic malignancies.
Education & Training
- Anatomic Pathology & Clinical Pathology
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital/Washington University Consortium - Hematopathology
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital/Washington University Consortium - Molecular Pathology
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital/Washington University Consortium - Anatomic and Clinical Pathology
- University of Illinois at Chicago - MD
- Faramand R, Jain M, Staedtke V, Kotani H, Bai R, Reid K, Lee SB, Spitler K, Wang X, Cao B, Pinilla J, Lazaryan A, Khimani F, Shah B, Chavez JC, Nishihori T, Mishra A, Mullinax J, Gonzalez R, Hussaini M, Dam M, Brandjes BD, Bachmeier CA, Anasetti C, Locke FL, Davila ML. Tumor Microenvironment Composition and Severe Cytokine Release Syndrome (CRS) Influence Toxicity in Patients with Large B-Cell Lymphoma Treated with Axicabtagene Ciloleucel. Clin Cancer Res. 2020 Sep.26(18):4823-4831. Pubmedid: 32669372. Pmcid: PMC7501265.
- Song J, Hussaini M. Adopting solutions for annotation and reporting of next generation sequencing in clinical practice. Pract Lab Med. 2020 Mar.19:e00154. Pubmedid: 32099889. Pmcid: PMC7031307.
- Badar T, Szabo A, Sallman D, Komrokji R, Lancet J, Padron E, Song J, Hussaini MO. Interrogation of molecular profiles can help in differentiating between MDS and AML with MDS-related changes. Leuk Lymphoma. 2020 Jun.61(6):1418-1427. Pubmedid: 32013644.
- Song J, Hussaini M, Qin D, Zhang X, Shao H, Zhang L, Gajzer D, Basra P, Moscinski L, Zhang H. Comparison of SF3B1/DNMT3A Comutations With DNMT3A or SF3B1 Mutation Alone in Myelodysplastic Syndrome and Clonal Cytopenia of Undetermined Significance. Am J Clin Pathol. 2020 Jun.154(1):48-56. Pubmedid: 32112088.
- Zhang Y, Lee D, Brimer T, Hussaini M, Sokol L. Genomics of Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma and Its Implications for Personalized Medicine. Front Oncol. 2020 Jun.10:898. Pubmedid: 32637355. Pmcid: PMC7317006.
- Yun S, Geyer SM, Komrokji RS, Al Ali NH, Song J, Hussaini M, Sweet KL, Lancet JE, List AF, Padron E, Sallman DA. Prognostic significance of serial molecular annotation in myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS) and secondary acute myeloid leukemia (sAML). Leukemia. 2020 Jul. Pubmedid: 32728186.
- Badaat I, Mirza S, Padron E, Sallman D, Komrokji R, Song J, Hussaini MO. Concurrent mutations in other epigenetic modulators portend better prognosis in BCOR-mutated myelodysplastic syndrome. J Clin Pathol. 2020 Apr.73(4):209-212. Pubmedid: 31771970.
- Mirza AS, Horna P, Teer JK, Song J, Akabari R, Hussaini M, Sokol L. New Insights Into the Complex Mutational Landscape of Sézary Syndrome. Front Oncol. 2020 Apr.10:514. Pubmedid: 32373524. Pmcid: PMC7186303.
- Mirza AS, Dholaria BR, Hussaini M, Mushtaq S, Horna P, Ravindran A, Kumar A, Ayala E, Kharfan-Dabaja MA, Bello C, Chavez JC, Sokol L. High-dose Therapy and Autologous Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation as Consolidation Treatment for Primary Effusion Lymphoma. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2019 Sep.19(9):e513-e520. Pubmedid: 31253594.
- Hashmi H, Bachmeier C, Chavez JC, Song J, Hussaini M, Krivenko G, Nishihori T, Kotani H, Davila ML, Locke FL, Jain MD. Haemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis has variable time to onset following CD19 chimeric antigen receptor T cell therapy. Brit J Haematol. 2019 Oct.187(2):e35-e38. Pubmedid: 31410842.
- Badar T, Johnson L, Trifilo K, Wang H, Kudlow BA, Padron E, Pappenhausen PR, Hussaini MO. Detection of Novel t(12;17)(p12;p13) in Relapsed Refractory Acute Myeloid Leukemia by Anchored Multiplex PCR(AMP)-based Next-Generation Sequencing. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2019 Mar.27(3):e28-e31. Pubmedid: 28187034.
- Song J, Moscinski L, Zhang H, Zhang X, Hussaini M. Does SF3B1/TET2 Double Mutation Portend Better or Worse Prognosis Than Isolated SF3B1 or TET2 Mutation?. Cancer Genomics Proteomics. 2019 Jan.16(1):91-98. Pubmedid: 30587503. Pmcid: PMC6348401.
- Farooqi B, Modi A, Hussaini MO, Markham MJ, Duff JM. Principles for the Oncologist in Caring for Muslim Patients. J Oncol Pract. 2018 Sep.14(9):521-524. Pubmedid: 30138053.
- Kharfan-Dabaja MA, Raj R, Nikolaenko L, Ahmed S, Reddy N, Nathan S, Cherry M, El-Jurdi N, Obiozor C, Fenske TS, Song J, Muzzafar T, Ayala E, Savani B, Khawandanah M, Caimi PF, Hamadani M, Forman SJ, Hussaini M, de Lima M, Olteanu H, Shah B, Chavez JC, Al Malki M, Kumar A, Ganguly S. Efficacy of High-Dose Therapy and Autologous Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation in Gray Zone Lymphoma: A US Multicenter Collaborative Study. Biol Blood Marrow Tr. 2018 Mar.24(3):486-493. Pubmedid: 29225164.
- Hussaini MO, Mirza AS, Komrokji R, Lancet J, Padron E, Song J. Genetic Landscape of Acute Myeloid Leukemia Interrogated by Next-generation Sequencing: A Large Cancer Center Experience. Cancer Genomics Proteomics. 2018 Mar.15(2):121-126. Pubmedid: 29496691. Pmcid: PMC5892606.
- Strati P, Tang G, Duose DY, Mallampati S, Luthra R, Patel KP, Hussaini M, Mirza AS, Komrokji RS, Oh S, Mascarenhas J, Najfeld V, Subbiah V, Kantarjian H, Garcia-Manero G, Verstovsek S, Daver N. Myeloid/lymphoid neoplasms with FGFR1 rearrangement. Leuk Lymphoma. 2018 Jul.59(7):1672-1676. Pubmedid: 29119847.
- Kharfan-Dabaja MA, Kumar A, Stingo FE, Khimani F, Hussaini M, Ayala E, Nishihori T, Shah B, Locke FL, Pinilla-Ibarz J, Chavez JC. Allogeneic Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation for Richter Syndrome: A Single-Center Experience. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2018 Jan.18(1):e35-e39. Pubmedid: 29126867. Pmcid: PMC6716154.
- Markow M, Mirza AS, Perez L, Shao H, Horna P, Anasetti C, Sokol L, Hussaini MO. Transformation of T-Cell Acute Lymphoblastic Lymphoma to Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma: A Report of Two Cases. Case Rep Hematol. 2018 Feb.2018:9191582. Pubmedid: 29682368. Pmcid: PMC5850893.
- Dholaria BR, Ayala E, Sokol L, Nishihori T, Chavez JC, Hussaini M, Kumar A, Kharfan-Dabaja MA. Allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation in T-cell prolymphocytic leukemia: A single-center experience. Leuk Res. 2018 Apr.67:1-5. Pubmedid: 29407180.
- Song J, Hussaini M, Zhang H, Shao H, Qin D, Zhang X, Ma Z, Hussnain Naqvi SM, Zhang L, Moscinski LC. Comparison of the Mutational Profiles of Primary Myelofibrosis, Polycythemia Vera, and Essential Thrombocytosis. Am J Clin Pathol. 2017 May.147(5):444-452. Pubmedid: 28419183. Pmcid: PMC5402718.
- Ismail A, Mallick JA, Qin D, Hussaini MO. Sentinel case of Richter transformation from chronic lymphocytic leukaemia/small lymphocytic lymphoma to CD3+ diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. J Clin Pathol. 2017 Jul.70(7):575-578. Pubmedid: 27899414.
- Zhang J, Kong G, Rajagopalan A, Lu L, Song J, Hussaini M, Zhang X, Ranheim EA, Liu Y, Wang J, Gao X, Chang YI, Johnson K, Zhou Y, Yang D, Bhatnagar B, Lucas DM, Bresnick E, Zhong X, Padron E, Zhang J. p53-/- synergizes with enhanced NrasG12D signaling to transform megakaryocyte-erythroid progenitors in acute myeloid leukemia. Blood. 2017 Jan.129(3):358-370. Pubmedid: 27815262. Pmcid: PMC5248933.
- Hussaini M, Yeung C, Zhu X, Mirza AS, Pfeifer J, Hassan A. PRDM1 expression levels in marginal zone lymphoma and lymphoplasmacytic lymphoma. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2017 Aug.10(8):8610-8618. Pubmedid: 31966717. Pmcid: PMC6965379.
- Hussaini MO, Rehman A, Chavez JC, Pinilla-Ibarz J, Horna P. EBV-positive Richter's syndrome with laboratory features of Burkitt's lymphoma, in Ibrutinib-treated chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Leuk Lymphoma. 2017 07.58(7):1753-1756. Pubmedid: 27852142.
- Nishihori T, El-Asmar J, Shah B, Hussaini M, Komrokji R, List A, Anasetti C, Kharfan-Dabaja MA. Donor-derived constitutional chromosomal abnormalities after allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation: a single-center experience and a review of the literature. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2015 Oct.50(10):1388-1392. Pubmedid: 26191951.
- Hussaini M. Biomarkers in Hematological Malignancies: A Review of Molecular Testing in Hematopathology. Cancer Control. 2015 Apr.22(2):158-166. Pubmedid: 26068760.
- Gru AA, Hussaini M, Nguyen T, Frater JL, Kreisel F, Hassan A. High prevalence of 1p36 microdeletions in B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphomas (NHL) is associated with PAX7 loss. Int J Lab Hematol. 2013 Aug.35(4):e1-e5. Pubmedid: 23205730.
- Olson SM, Hussaini M, Lewis JS. Frozen section analysis of margins for head and neck tumor resections: reduction of sampling errors with a third histologic level. Mod Pathol. 2011 May.24(5):665-670. Pubmedid: 21217647.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.