Find a Doctor
Melissa McGettigan, MD
Program: Diagnostic Imaging and Interventional Radiology
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Dr. McGettigan received her Doctor of Medicine degree from the University of South Florida College of Medicine in Tampa, Florida. She completed a Diagnostic Radiology Residency at Medical College of Georgia in Augusta, Georgia. She then completed an Abdominal Imaging Fellowship at Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology at Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri. Dr. McGettigan joined Moffitt Cancer Center in 2016. Her clinical interests are in gastrointestinal and genitourinary radiology, musculoskeletal radiology and non-vascular image-guided procedures. Her research interests include applications of contrast-enhanced ultrasound for diagnosis and therapeutic intervention of gastrointestinal and genitourinary malignancies.
Education & Training
- Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology - Abdominal Imaging
- Medical College of Georgia - Radiology
- University of South Florida(MD, - MD)
CLINICAL TRIAL 19974
Contrast-Enhanced Ultrasound for the Evaluation of Changes in Tumor Blood Flow and the Surrounding Hepatic Parenchyma before, during and after Hepatic Artery Embolization
Condition: Gastrointestinal Tumor
- Lam CA, McGettigan MJ, Thompson ZJ, Khazai L, Chung CH, Centeno BA, McIver B, Valderrabano P. Ultrasound characterization for thyroid nodules with indeterminate cytology: inter-observer agreement and impact of combining pattern-based and scoring-based classifications in risk stratification. Endocrine. 2019 Nov.66(2):278-287. Pubmedid: 31300961.
- Khot R, McGettigan M, Patrie JT, Feuerlein S. Quantification of gas exchange-related upward motion of the liver during prolonged breathholding-potential reduction of motion artifacts in abdominal MRI. Br J Radiol. 2019 Dec.93(1106):20190549. Pubmedid: 31778311. Pmcid: PMC7055431.
- Sabesan A, Felder S, Feuerlein S, Lam C, McGettigan M, Powers BD, Dessureault S, Dineen SP. Preoperative Radiographic Assessment Predicts Incomplete Cytoreduction in Patients with Low Grade Mucinous Adenocarcinoma of the Appendix. Ann Surg Oncol. 2019 Aug.27(1):165-170. Pubmedid: 31388776.
- Liu Y, Wang H, Li Q, McGettigan MJ, Balagurunathan Y, Garcia AL, Thompson ZJ, Heine JJ, Ye Z, Gillies RJ, Schabath MB. Radiologic Features of Small Pulmonary Nodules and Lung Cancer Risk in the National Lung Screening Trial: A Nested Case-Control Study. Radiology. 2018 Jan;286(1):298-306. Pubmedid: 28837413. Pmcid: PMC5738292.
- McGettigan MJ, Gatenby RA. Radiologic Pearls for Internists: A Case-Based Review. Am J Med. 2018 Jan;131(1):9-16. Pubmedid: 28889930.
- Valderrabano P, McGettigan MJ, Lam C, Khazai L, Thompson ZJ, Chung CH, Centeno BA, McIver B. Thyroid Nodules with Indeterminate Cytology: Utility of the American Thyroid Association Sonographic Patterns for Cancer Risk Stratification. Thyroid. 2018 Aug.28(8):1004-1012. Pubmedid: 29848195. Pmcid: PMC6916126.
- McGettigan MJ, Menias CO, Gao ZJ, Mellnick VM, Hara AK. Imaging of Drug-induced Complications in the Gastrointestinal System. Radiographics. 2016 Jan;36(1):71-87. Pubmedid: 26761532.
- Woodall MN, McGettigan M, Figueroa R, Gossage JR, Alleyne CH. Cerebral vascular malformations in hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia. J Neurosurg. 2014 Jan;120(1):87-92. Pubmedid: 24236651.
- Carvalho KM, McGettigan MJ, Martin DF. GC/MS analysis of volatile organic selenium species produced during phytoremediation. J Environ Sci Health A Tox Hazard Subst Environ Eng. 2001 Sep.36(7):1403-1409. Pubmedid: 11545362.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.