Find a Doctor
Dr. Friedman earned his MD degree at the SUNY Downstate Medical Center. He completed an Internal Medicine Residency at George Washington University Medical Center and a Gastroenterology Fellowship at Albany Medical Center. After completing training, Dr. Friedman worked with Gastrohealth in Miami, Florida for 3 years. He currently is an Associate Member in the department of GI Oncology at Moffitt Cancer Center. He also holds an academic appointment as an Assistant Professor in the department of Oncological Sciences at the University of South Florida. Dr. Friedman’s clinical interests are in 1) Colorectal cancer screening 2) Genetic Colorectal Cancer Syndromes 3) Surveillance of pre-malignant Intestinal Conditions. He also treats a wide variety of liver associated diseases such as hepatitis C, hepatitis B, autoimmune hepatitis, hereditary hemochromatosis and fatty liver disease. His research interests include hepatocellular disease, colorectal cancer screening trends, guidelines, and immunotherapy related gel toxicities.
Education & Training
- Internal Medicine
- Albany Medical College - Gastroenterology
- George Washington University Medical Center - Internal Medicine
- SUNY Downstate Medical Center - MD
Start Year: 2015 End Year: 2015 Travel Grant, The 7th International Conference Of Cellvizio Users, Sponsor: Mauna Kea Technologies
- Pai RK, Pai RK, Brown I, Choi WT, Schaeffer DF, Farnell D, Kumarasinghe MP, Gunawardena D, Kim BH, Friedman M, Ghayouri M, Lauwers GY. The significance of histological activity measurements in immune checkpoint inhibitor colitis. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2021 Jan.53(1):150-159. Pubmedid: 33146440.
- Christy SM, Reich RR, Rathwell JA, Vadaparampil ST, Isaacs-Soriano KA, Friedman MS, Roetzheim RG, Giuliano AR. Using the Electronic Health Record to Characterize the Hepatitis C Virus Care Cascade. Public Health Rep. 2021 Apr. Pubmedid: 33831316.
- Provenzale D, Ness RM, Llor X, Weiss JM, Abbadessa B, Cooper G, Early DS, Friedman M, Giardiello FM, Glaser K, Gurudu S, Halverson AL, Issaka R, Jain R, Kanth P, Kidambi T, Lazenby AJ, Maguire L, Markowitz AJ, May FP, Mayer RJ, Mehta S, Patel S, Peter S, P Stanich P, Terdiman J, Keller J, Dwyer MA, Ogba N. NCCN Guidelines Insights: Colorectal Cancer Screening, Version 2.2020. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2020 Oct.18(10):1312-1320. Pubmedid: 33022639.
- Luu C, Thapa R, Rose T, Woo K, Jeong D, Thomas K, Chen DT, Friedman M, Malafa MP, Hodul PJ. Identification of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease following pancreatectomy for noninvasive intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm. Int J Surg. 2018 Oct.58:46-49. Pubmedid: 30218781. Pmcid: PMC7771269.
- Mohammadi H, Abuodeh Y, Jin W, Frakes J, Friedman M, Biebel B, Choi J, El-Haddad G, Kis B, Sweeney J, Hoffe S. Using the Albumin-Bilirubin (ALBI) grade as a prognostic marker for radioembolization of hepatocellular carcinoma. J Gastrointest Oncol. 2018 Oct.9(5):840-846. Pubmedid: 30505583. Pmcid: PMC6219966.
- Frakes JM, Abuodeh YA, Naghavi AO, Echevarria MI, Shridhar R, Friedman M, Kim R, El-Haddad G, Kis B, Biebel B, Sweeney J, Choi J, Anaya D, Giuliano AR, Hoffe SE. Viral hepatitis associated hepatocellular carcinoma outcomes with yttrium-90 radioembolization. J Gastrointest Oncol. 2018 Jun.9(3):546-552. Pubmedid: 29998020. Pmcid: PMC6006034.
- Saligram S, Lim D, Pena L, Friedman M, Harris C, Klapman J. Safety and feasibility of esophageal self- expandable metal stent placement without the aid of fluoroscopy. Dis Esophagus. 2017 Aug.30(8):1-6. Pubmedid: 28575246.
- Friedman MS, Manini AF. Validation of Criteria to Guide Prehospital Naloxone Administration for Drug-Related Altered Mental Status. J Med Toxicol. 2016 Sep.12(3):270-275. Pubmedid: 27083903. Pmcid: PMC4996789.
- Mohammadi H, Abuodeh YA, Jin W, Frakes JM, Friedman M, Biebel B, Choi J, El-Haddad GE, Kis B, Sweeney J, Kim R, Pimiento JM, Malafa MP, Anaya D, Hoffe SE. Using the ALBI Grade as a Prognostic Marker for Radioembolization of Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016 Oct.96(2S):E194-E195.
- Hanna C, Mullinax J, Friedman MS, Sanchez J. Jejunal diverticulosis found in a patient with long-standing pneumoperitoneum and pseudo-obstruction on imaging: a case report. Gastroenterol Rep (Oxf). 2016 Nov.4(4):337-340. Pubmedid: 26220890. Pmcid: PMC5193057.
- Huang H, Taylor DC, Carson RT, Sarocco P, Friedman M, Munsell M, Blum SI, Menzin J. Economic Evaluation of Linaclotide for the Treatment of Adult Patients With Chronic Idiopathic Constipation in the United States. Manag Care. 2016 Feb.25(2):41-48. Pubmedid: 27008836.
- Tan E, Shao H, Friedman M. Mycosis Fungoides of the Rectum: Case Report and Review of the Literature. J Gastrointest Cancer. 2016 Dec.47(4):417-419. Pubmedid: 26195195.
- Khalpey Z, Marsh KM, Ferng A, Riaz IB, Hemphill C, Penick K, Oliva I, Friedman M. First in Man: Sternal Reconstruction with Autologous Stem Cells. Asaio J. 2015 Sep.61(5):e31-e32. Pubmedid: 25914951.
- Bucur O, Almasan A, Zubarev R, Friedman M, Nicolson GL, Sumazin P, Leabu M, Nikolajczyk BS, Avram D, Kunej T, Calin GA, Godwin AK, Adami HO, Zaphiropoulos PG, Richardson DR, Schmitt-Ulms G, Westerblad H, Keniry M, Grau GE, Carbonetto S, Stan RV, Popa-Wagner A, Takhar K, Baron BW, Galardy PJ, Yang F, Data D, Fadare O, Yeo KJ, Gabreanu GR, Andrei S, Soare GR, Nelson MA, Liehn EA. An updated h-index measures both the primary and total scientific output of a researcher. Discoveries (Craiova). 2015 Oct.3(3). Pubmedid: 26504901. Pmcid: PMC4617786.
- Tan E, Friedman M, Coppola D. Occurrence of Multiple Tumors in a Patient. Cancer Control. 2015 Oct.22(4):505-507. Pubmedid: 26678978.
- Torres HA, Chong PP, De Lima M, Friedman MS, Giralt S, Hammond SP, Kiel PJ, Masur H, McDonald GB, Wingard JR, Gambarin-Gelwan M. Hepatitis C Virus Infection among Hematopoietic Cell Transplant Donors and Recipients: American Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation Task Force Recommendations. Biol Blood Marrow Tr. 2015 Nov.21(11):1870-1882. Pubmedid: 26256943.
- Huang H, Taylor DC, Carson RT, Sarocco P, Friedman M, Munsell M, Blum SI, Menzin J. Economic evaluation of linaclotide for the treatment of adult patients with irritable bowel syndrome with constipation in the United States. J Med Econ. 2015 Apr.18(4):283-294. Pubmedid: 25333331.
- Menzin J, Preblick R, Friedman M, Menzin J, Frean M, Jacqueline Kwong W. Treatment patterns and outcomes among hospitalized patients with venous thromboembolism in the United States: an analysis of electronic health records data. Hosp Pract (1995). 2014 Oct.42(4):59-74. Pubmedid: 25502130.
- Myakishev-Rempel M, Stadler I, Brondon P, Axe DR, Friedman M, Nardia FB, Lanzafame R. A preliminary study of the safety of red light phototherapy of tissues harboring cancer. Photomed Laser Surg. 2012 Sep.30(9):551-558. Pubmedid: 22853435. Pmcid: PMC3423866.
- Friedman M, Arja W, Batra R, Daniel S, Hoehn D, Paniz AM, Selegean S, Slova D, Srivastava S, Vergara N. Informed consent for blood transfusion: what do medicine residents tell? What do patients understand?. Am J Clin Pathol. 2012 Oct.138(4):559-565. Pubmedid: 23010711.
- Friedman M, Arora G, Green J. Fellow involvement during colonoscopy does not reduce adenoma detection rate. Digest Dis Sci. 2011 Mar.56(3):919. Pubmedid: 20721628.
- Patel AV, Friedman M, MacDermott RP. Crohn's disease patient with right lower quadrant abdominal pain for 20 years due to an appendiceal neuroma (Fibrous obliteration of the appendix). Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2010 Jul.16(7):1093-1094. Pubmedid: 19824068.
- Arora G, Friedman M, Macdermott RP. Disseminated Nocardia nova infection. South Med J. 2010 Dec.103(12):1269-1271. Pubmedid: 21037519.
- Friedman M, Borum ML. Colorectal cancer screening of African Americans by internal medicine resident physicians can be improved with focused educational efforts. J Natl Med Assoc. 2007 Sep.99(9):1010-1012. Pubmedid: 17913110. Pmcid: PMC2575865.
- Friedman M, Borum ML. Colon cancer screening consultations may identify racial disparity in hypertension diagnosis and management. J Natl Med Assoc. 2007 May.99(5):525-526. Pubmedid: 17534010. Pmcid: PMC2576062.
- Friedman M, Ali MA, Borum ML. Gastric sarcoidosis: a case report and review of the literature. South Med J. 2007 Mar.100(3):301-303. Pubmedid: 17396736.
- Friedman M, Ramsay DB, Borum ML. An unusual case report of small bowel Candida overgrowth as a cause of diarrhea and review of the literature. Digest Dis Sci. 2007 Mar.52(3):679-680. Pubmedid: 17277989.
- Ramsay DB, Friedman M, Borum ML. Does the race or gender of hepatitis C infected patients influence physicians' assessment of hepatitis A and hepatitis B serologic status?. South Med J. 2007 Jul.100(7):683-685. Pubmedid: 17639747.
- Friedman SG, Kerner BA, Friedman MS, Moccio CG. Limb salvage in elderly patients. Is aggressive surgical therapy warranted?. J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino). 1989 Sep.30(5):848-851. Pubmedid: 2808509.
- Shiani A, Narayanan S, Pena L, Friedman M. The Role of Diagnosis and Treatment of Underlying Liver Disease for the Prognosis of Primary Liver Cancer. Cancer Control. 24(3):1073274817729240. Pubmedid: 28975833. Pmcid: PMC5937237.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.