Find a Doctor
Maria Suz Ruiz, MD
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Dr. Suz Ruiz is an Assistant Member in the Department of Anesthesiology at Moffitt Cancer Center. Dr. Suz Ruiz earned her MD degree at Pontificia Universidad Javeriana – School of Medicine, Bogota, Colombia. She completed an Anesthesiology Residency at The University of Texas and a Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesiology Fellowship at the Heart and Vascular Institute and Methodist Hospital, The University of Texas. Dr. Suz Ruiz was an Assistant Professor in the Department of Anesthesiology at The University of Texas and Attending Anesthesiologist at Lyndon B. Johnson Hospital in Houston, TX, where she also served as Director, Thoracic and Vascular Anesthesia. Her main clinical and research interests include how to utilize point-of-care ultrasound (POCUS) in the perioperative setting to improve patient assessment and outcomes and the influence of perioperative pain management strategies on outcomes.
Education & Training
- The Heart and Vascular Institute and Methodist Hospital, University of Texas - Cardiothoracic/Vascular Anesthesiology
- The University of Texas - Anesthesiology
- Pontificia Universidad Javeriana School of Medicine - MD
- Patel S, Suz P, Powers BD, Anaya DA. Epidural analgesia for hepatopancreatobiliary operations and postoperative urinary tract infections: an unrecognized association of "best-practices" and adverse outcomes. HPB (Oxford). 2020 May. Pubmedid: 32414659.
- Patel SY, Evans RM, Garcia Getting RE, Suz P. Pectoral Nerve and Transverse Abdominis Plane Block in a Patient Undergoing Mastectomy With Transverse Rectus Abdominis Muscle Flap: A Case Report. A A Case Rep. 2017 Apr.8(8):210-212. Pubmedid: 28118214.
- Brown JM, Udomphorn Y, Suz P, Vavilala MS. Antipyretic treatment of noninfectious fever in children with severe traumatic brain injury. Childs Nerv Syst. 2008 Apr.24(4):477-483. Pubmedid: 17917733.
- Tontisirin N, Muangman SL, Suz P, Pihoker C, Fisk D, Moore A, Lam AM, Vavilala MS. Early childhood gender differences in anterior and posterior cerebral blood flow velocity and autoregulation. Pediatrics. 2007 Mar.119(3):e610-e615. Pubmedid: 17283178.
- Suz P, Vavilala MS, Souter M, Muangman S, Lam AM. Clinical features of fever associated with poor outcome in severe pediatric traumatic brain injury. J Neurosurg Anesthesiol. 2006 Jan.18(1):5-10. Pubmedid: 16369134.
- Vavilala MS, Kincaid MS, Muangman SL, Suz P, Rozet I, Lam AM. Gender differences in cerebral blood flow velocity and autoregulation between the anterior and posterior circulations in healthy children. Pediatr Res. 2005 Sep.58(3):574-578. Pubmedid: 16148076. Pmcid: PMC1361350.
- Coates BM, Vavilala MS, Mack CD, Muangman S, Suz P, Sharar SR, Bulger E, Lam AM. Influence of definition and location of hypotension on outcome following severe pediatric traumatic brain injury. Crit Care Med. 2005 Nov.33(11):2645-2650. Pubmedid: 16276192. Pmcid: PMC1361352.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.