Find a Doctor
Lora MA Thompson, PhD
Specialty: Clinical Psychology
Program: Supportive Care Medicine
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
My clinical interest is in psychosocial oncology. I provide outpatient assessment and treatment services to address patients' emotional concerns related to cancer diagnosis, treatment and survivorship. My focus is on providing support, managing symptoms such as depressed mood, anxiety, and sleep difficulty, and improving coping skills. I am also the Director of the Integrative Medicine Service, which offers massage, Yoga, meditation, and acupuncture services.
Education & Training
- Moffitt Cancer Center/University of South Florida - Interdisciplinary Oncology
- University of South Florida - PhD
- Best AL, Logan RG, Vázquez-Otero C, Fung W, Chee V, Thompson EL, Villalona S, Thompson LMA, Gwede CK, Daley EM. Application of a Health Literacy Framework to Explore Patients' Knowledge of the Link between HPV and Cancer. J Health Commun. 2018 Aug;23(8):695-702. Pubmedid: 30153087.
- Thompson LMA, Bobonis Babilonia M. Distinguishing Depressive Symptoms From Similar Cancer-Related Somatic Symptoms: Implications for Assessment and Management of Major Depression after Breast Cancer. South Med J. 2017 Oct;110(10):667-672. Pubmedid: 28973709.
- Lee MS, Nelson AM, Thompson LM, Donovan KA. Supportive care needs of oral cancer survivors: Prevalence and correlates. Oral Oncol. 2016 Feb;53:85-90. Pubmedid: 26684544.
- Jacobsen PB, Muchnick S, Marcus S, Amheiser P, Reiersen P, Gonzalez B, Gomez M, Jim HS, Thompson LM, Minton S, Bower J. Pilot study of Iyengar yoga for management of aromatase inhibitor-associated arthralgia in women with breast cancer. Psychooncology. 2015 Nov;24(11):1578-1580. Pubmedid: 25631519. Pmcid: PMC4610866.
- Donovan KA, Walker LM, Wassersug RJ, Thompson LM, Robinson JW. Psychological effects of androgen-deprivation therapy on men with prostate cancer and their partners. Cancer. 2015 Dec;121(24):4286-4299. Pubmedid: 26372364.
- Dilling TJ, Extermann M, Kim J, Thompson LM, Yue B, Stevens CW, Antonia S, Gray J, Williams C, Haura E, Pinder-Schenck M, Tanvetyanon T, Kim S, Chiappori A. Phase 2 study of concurrent cetuximab plus definitive thoracic radiation therapy followed by consolidation docetaxel plus cetuximab in poor prognosis or elderly patients with locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2014 Nov;90(4):828-833. Pubmedid: 25216856.
- Jacobsen PB, Phillips KM, Jim HS, Small BJ, Faul LA, Meade CD, Thompson L, Williams CC, Loftus LS, Fishman M, Wilson RW. Effects of self-directed stress management training and home-based exercise on quality of life in cancer patients receiving chemotherapy: a randomized controlled trial. Psychooncology. 2012 Jun;22(6):1229-1235. Pubmedid: 22715124.
- Donovan KA, Thompson LM, Hoffe SE. Sexual function in colorectal cancer survivors. Cancer Control. 2010 Jan;17(1):44-51. Pubmedid: 20010518.
- Azzarello LM, Jacobsen PB. Factors influencing participation in cutaneous screening among individuals with a family history of melanoma. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2007 Mar;56(3):398-406. Pubmedid: 17184873.
- Ransom S, Azzarello L, McMillan S. Methodological issues in the recruitment of cancer pain patients and their caregivers. Res Nurs Health. 2006 Jun;29(3):190-198. Pubmedid: 16676340.
- Azzarello L, Dessureault S, Jacobsen P. Sun-protective behavior among individuals with a family history of melanoma. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2006 Jan;15(1):142-145. Pubmedid: 16434600.
- Ransom S, Sacco W, Weitzner M, Azzarello L, McMillan S. Interpersonal factors predict increased desire for hastened death in late-stage cancer patients. Ann Behav Med. 2006 Feb;31(1):63-69. Pubmedid: 16472040.
- Jacobsen PB, Hann DM, Azzarello LM, Horton J, Balducci L, Lyman GH. Fatigue in women receiving adjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer: characteristics, course, and correlates. J Pain Symptom Manage. 1999 Oct;18(4):233-242. Pubmedid: 10534963.
- Hann DM, Garovoy N, Finkelstein B, Jacobsen PB, Azzarello LM, Fields KK. Fatigue and quality of life in breast cancer patients undergoing autologous stem cell transplantation: a longitudinal comparative study. J Pain Symptom Manage. 1999 May;17(5):311-319. Pubmedid: 10355210.
- Hann DM, Jacobsen PB, Martin SC, Kronish LE, Azzarello LM, Fields KK. Fatigue in women treated with bone marrow transplantation for breast cancer: a comparison with women with no history of cancer. Support Care Cancer. 1997 Jan;5(1):44-52. Pubmedid: 9010989 .