Moffitt Notice of Blackbaud Data Incident. Learn More
Find a Doctor
Cancer Focus: Thyroid Cancer
Dr. Kristen Otto earned her medical degree from the University of South Florida. She completed an Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery residency at Emory University. Dr. Otto also completed a fellowship at the University of Toronto with a focus in Head & Neck Surgical Oncology/Microvascular Reconstruction. Prior to joining Moffitt, Dr. Otto served as Division Chief of Head & Neck Surgery, Assistant Professor, and Otolaryngology Residency Program Director for University of Mississippi Medical Center. While there, she was awarded Faculty Teacher of the Year by the University of Mississippi Department of Otolaryngology and Communicative Sciences. Dr. Otto’s clinical focus is head & neck surgical oncology and microvascular reconstructive surgery, as well as surgical training and education for residents and fellows. Part of Dr. Otto’s approach to complex treatment plans, treatments and after care involves sentinel lymph node biopsy research, and the development and design of institutional treatment protocols for head & neck cancer patients. Other research interests include head & neck oncologic and surgical outcomes.
Education & Training
- University of Toronto - Head & Neck Surgical Oncology/Microvascular Reconstruction
- Emory University - Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery
- University of South Florida - MD
- Hernandez-Prera J, Valderrabano P, Creed J, de la Iglesia JV, Slebos R, Centeno BA, Tarasova V, Hallanger-Johnson J, Veloski C, Otto KJ, Wenig BM, Yoder S, Lam C, Park DS, Anderson AR, Raghunand N, Berglund A, Caudell J, Gerke TA, Chung CH. Molecular Determinants of Thyroid Nodules with Indeterminate Cytology and RAS Mutations. Thyroid. 2020 Aug. Pubmedid: 32689909.
- Valderrabano P, Khazai L, Thompson ZJ, Otto KJ, Hallanger-Johnson JE, Chung CH, Centeno BA, McIver B. Association of Tumor Size With Histologic and Clinical Outcomes Among Patients With Cytologically Indeterminate Thyroid Nodules. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2018 Sep.144(9):788-795. Pubmedid: 30027226. Pmcid: PMC6233620.
- Naghavi AO, Echevarria MI, Strom TJ, Abuodeh YA, Venkat PS, Ahmed KA, Demetriou S, Frakes JM, Kim Y, Kish JA, Russell JS, Otto KJ, Chung CH, Harrison LB, Trotti A, Caudell JJ. Patient choice for high-volume center radiation impacts head and neck cancer outcome. Cancer Med. 2018 Oct.7(10):4964-4979. Pubmedid: 30175512. Pmcid: PMC6198196.
- Valderrabano P, Khazai L, Thompson ZJ, Sharpe SC, Tarasova VD, Otto KJ, Hallanger-Johnson JE, Wadsworth JT, Wenig BM, Chung CH, Centeno BA, McIver B. Cancer Risk Associated with Nuclear Atypia in Cytologically Indeterminate Thyroid Nodules: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Thyroid. 2018 Feb.28(2):210-219. Pubmedid: 29160163.
- Valderrabano P, Khazai L, Thompson ZJ, Leon ME, Otto KJ, Hallanger-Johnson JE, Wadsworth JT, Chung CH, Centeno BA, McIver B. Impact of oncogene panel results on surgical management of cytologically indeterminate thyroid nodules. Head Neck. 2018 Aug.40(8):1812-1823. Pubmedid: 29624786.
- Valderrabano P, Khazai L, Thompson ZJ, Leon ME, Otto KJ, Hallanger-Johnson JE, Wadsworth JT, Wenig BM, Chung CH, Centeno BA, McIver B. Cancer Risk Stratification of Indeterminate Thyroid Nodules: A Cytological Approach. Thyroid. 2017 Oct.27(10):1277-1284. Pubmedid: 28806881. Pmcid: PMC6112164.
- Valderrabano P, Khazai L, Leon ME, Thompson ZJ, Ma Z, Chung CH, Hallanger-Johnson JE, Otto KJ, Rogers KD, Centeno B, McIver B. Evaluation of ThyroSeq v2 performance in thyroid nodules with indeterminate cytology. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2017 Mar.24(3):127-136. Pubmedid: 28104680.
- Dettloff J, Seethala RR, Stevens TM, Brandwein-Gensler M, Centeno BA, Otto K, Bridge JA, Bishop JA, Leon ME. Mammary Analog Secretory Carcinoma (MASC) Involving the Thyroid Gland: A Report of the First 3 Cases. Head Neck Pathol. 2017 Jun.11(2):124-130. Pubmedid: 27400918. Pmcid: PMC5429265.
- Dettloff J, Seethala RR, Stevens TM, Brandwein-Gensler M, Centeno BA, Otto K, Bridge JA, Bishop JA, Leon ME. Regarding Bocklage et al. "Regarding Dettloff et al. Mammary Analog Secretory Carcinoma (MASC) Involving the Thyroid Gland: A Report of First 3 Cases". Head Neck Pathol. 2017 Jun.11(2):266-267. Pubmedid: 27644952. Pmcid: PMC5429279.
- Strom TJ, Naghavi AO, Trotti AM, Russell J, Kish JA, McCaffrey J, Otto KJ, Harrison LB, Caudell JJ. Increased acute mortality with chemoradiotherapy for locally advanced head and neck cancer in patients ≥70years. Geriatr Oncol. 2017 Jan.8(1):50-55. Pubmedid: 27720129.
- Otto KJ, Caudell JJ. More Information Needed, Surgery Provides It. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017 12.99(5):1061-1062. Pubmedid: 29165274.
- Valderrabano P, Montilla Soler J, Mifsud MJ, Leon ME, Centeno BA, Khazai L, Padhya T, McCaffrey TV, Russell JS, McIver B, Otto KJ. Hypermetabolism on (18)F-Fluorodeoxyglucose Positron Emission Tomography Scan Does Not Influence the Interpretation of Thyroid Cytopathology, and Nodules with a SUVmax <2.5 Are Not at Increased Risk for Malignancy. Thyroid. 2016 Sep.26(9):1300-1307. Pubmedid: 27324615.
- Tanvetyanon T, Fisher K, Caudell J, Otto K, Padhya T, Trotti A. Adjuvant chemoradiotherapy versus with radiotherapy alone for locally advanced salivary gland carcinoma among older patients. Head Neck. 2016 Jun.38(6):863-870. Pubmedid: 26340707.
- Mifsud M, Sharma S, Leon M, Padhya T, Otto K, Caudell J. Salivary Duct Carcinoma of the Parotid: Outcomes with a Contemporary Multidisciplinary Treatment Approach. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2016 Jun.154(6):1041-1046. Pubmedid: 26980918.
- Otto K, Zager JS. Art, Science, and Personalized Cancer Care Through Regional Therapeutics. Cancer Control. 2016 Jan.23(1):3-4. Pubmedid: 27009450.
- Frakes JM, Naghavi AO, Demetriou SK, Strom TJ, Russell JS, Kish JA, McCaffrey JC, Otto KJ, Padhya TA, Harrison LB, Trotti AM, Caudell JJ. Determining optimal follow-up in the management of human papillomavirus-positive oropharyngeal cancer. Cancer. 2016 Feb.122(4):634-641. Pubmedid: 26565997.
- Frakes JM, Strom TJ, Naghavi AO, Trotti A, Rao NG, McCaffrey JC, Otto KJ, Padhya T, Caudell JJ. Outcomes of mucosal melanoma of the head and neck. J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol. 2016 Apr.60(2):268-273. Pubmedid: 26597431.
- Otto KJ, DelGaudio JM. Operative findings in the frontal recess at time of revision surgery. Am J Otolaryngol. 2010 Jul.31(3):175-180. Pubmedid: 20015737.
- Otto KJ, Lam JS, MacMillan C, Freeman JL. Diminishing diagnosis of follicular thyroid carcinoma. Head Neck. 2010 Dec.32(12):1629-1634. Pubmedid: 20848402.
- Shehata BM, Otto KJ, Sobol SE, Stockwell CA, Foulks C, Lancaster W, Gregoire L, Hill CE. E6 and E7 oncogene expression by human papilloma virus (HPV) and the aggressive behavior of recurrent laryngeal papillomatosis (RLP). Pediatr Dev Pathol. 2008 Mar.11(2):118-121. Pubmedid: 17990904.
- Lawson JD, Otto K, Chen A, Shin DM, Davis L, Johnstone PA. Concurrent platinum-based chemotherapy and simultaneous modulated accelerated radiation therapy for locally advanced squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue base. Head Neck. 2008 Mar.30(3):327-335. Pubmedid: 17657789.
- Lawson JD, Otto K, Grist W, Johnstone PA. Frequency of esophageal stenosis after simultaneous modulated accelerated radiation therapy and chemotherapy for head and neck cancer. Am J Otolaryngol. 2008 Jan.29(1):13-19. Pubmedid: 18061826.
- Portone CR, Hapner ER, McGregor L, Otto K, Johns MM. Correlation of the Voice Handicap Index (VHI) and the Voice-Related Quality of Life Measure (V-RQOL). J Voice. 2007 Nov.21(6):723-727. Pubmedid: 16887328.
- Otto KJ, Hudgins PA, Abdelkafy W, Mattox DE. Sigmoid sinus diverticulum: a new surgical approach to the correction of pulsatile tinnitus. Otol Neurotol. 2007 Jan.28(1):48-53. Pubmedid: 17195746.
- Otto KJ, Delgaudio JM. Invasive fungal rhinosinusitis: what is the appropriate follow-up?. Am J Rhinol. 2006 Nov.20(6):582-585. Pubmedid: 17181097.
- Golub JS, Chen PH, Otto KJ, Hapner E, Johns MM. Prevalence of perceived dysphonia in a geriatric population. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2006 Nov.54(11):1736-1739. Pubmedid: 17087701.
- Otto KJ, Hapner ER, Baker M, Johns MM. Blinded evaluation of the effects of high definition and magnification on perceived image quality in laryngeal imaging. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2006 Feb.115(2):110-113. Pubmedid: 16514792.
- Otto KJ, Johns MM. Dysphagia following cervical fusion. Ear Nose Throat J. 2005 Jun.84(6):344. Pubmedid: 16075853.
- Otto KJ, Rousche PJ, Kipke DR. Microstimulation in auditory cortex provides a substrate for detailed behaviors. Hear Res. 2005 Dec.210(1-2):112-117. Pubmedid: 16209915.
- Rousche PJ, Otto KJ, Reilly MP, Kipke DR. Single electrode micro-stimulation of rat auditory cortex: an evaluation of behavioral performance. Hear Res. 2003 May.179(1-2):62-71. Pubmedid: 12742239.
- Tatum WO, Johnson KD, Goff S, Ferreira JA, Vale FL. Vagus nerve stimulation and drug reduction. Neurology. 2001 Feb.56(4):561-563. Pubmedid: 11261422.
- Benbadis SR, Johnson K, Anthony K, Caines G, Hess G, Jackson C, Vale FL, Tatum WO. Induction of psychogenic nonepileptic seizures without placebo. Neurology. 2000 Dec.55(12):1904-1905. Pubmedid: 11134393.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.