Find a Doctor
Dr. Choi is a graduate of a combined MD-PhD program funded by the NIH Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP) at the New York University School of Medicine, where he received his PhD from the Department of Molecular Oncology and Immunology. After completing his clinical internship in internal medicine from the UCLA Medical Center, he was a postdoctoral research fellow at the UCLA Crump Institute of Molecular Imaging. He completed his diagnostic radiology residency at the UCLA School of Medicine, under a research track through the UCLA Medical Imaging Informatics Division. He subsequently completed a clinical radiology fellowship in body imaging at the Stanford University Medical Center in 2010, prior to joining Moffitt.
Education & Training
- Diagnostic Radiology
- Stanford University Medical Center - Body Imaging Radiology Fellowship
- UCLA Crump Institute for Molecular Imaging - Research Fellowship
- UCLA Department of Radiology Division of Medical Imaging Informatics - Research Fellowship
- UCLA School of Medicine - Radiological Sciences
- New York University - MD
If you believe you are eligible for one of these trials or studies, please call
- Permuth JB, Chen DT, Yoder SJ, Li J, Smith AT, Choi JW, Kim J, Balagurunathan Y, Jiang K, Coppola D, Centeno BA, Klapman J, Hodul P, Karreth FA, Trevino JG, Merchant N, Magliocco A, Malafa MP, Gillies R. Linc-ing Circulating Long Non-coding RNAs to the Diagnosis and Malignant Prediction of Intraductal Papillary Mucinous Neoplasms of the Pancreas. Sci Rep. 2017 Sep;7(1):10484. Pubmedid: 28874676. Pmcid: PMC5585319.
- Permuth JB, Choi JW, Chen DT, Jiang K, DeNicola G, Li JN, Coppola D, Centeno BA, Magliocco A, Balagurunathan Y, Merchant N, Trevino JG, Jeong D. A pilot study of radiologic measures of abdominal adiposity: weighty contributors to early pancreatic carcinogenesis worth evaluating?. Cancer Biol Med. 2017 Feb;14(1):66-73. Pubmedid: 28443205. Pmcid: PMC5365183.
- Mills M, Choi J, El-Haddad G, Sweeney J, Biebel B, Robinson L, Antonia S, Kumar A, Kis B. Retrospective analysis of technical success rate and procedure-related complications of 867 percutaneous CT-guided needle biopsies of lung lesions. Clin Radiol. 2017 Dec;72(12):1038-1046. Pubmedid: 28851490.
- Jeong D, Choi JW, Jeong K, Sokol L. CT findings associated with blastic plasmacytoid dendritic cell neoplasm: a case report. Acta Radiol Open. 2016 Jul;5(7):2058460116657688. Pubmedid: 27504192. Pmcid: PMC4963986.
- Permuth JB, Choi J, Balarunathan Y, Kim J, Chen DT, Chen L, Orcutt S, Doepker MP, Gage K, Zhang G, Latifi K, Hoffe S, Jiang K, Coppola D, Centeno BA, Magliocco A, Li Q, Trevino J, Merchant N, Gillies R, Malafa M, On Behalf Of The Florida Pancreas Collaborative . Combining radiomic features with a miRNA classifier may improve prediction of malignant pathology for pancreatic intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms. Oncotarget. 2016 Dec;7(52):85785-85797. Pubmedid: 27589689. Pmcid: PMC5349874.
- Rose T, Choi J. Intravenous Imaging Contrast Media Complications: The Basics That Every Clinician Needs to Know. Am J Med. 2015 Sep;128(9):943-949. Pubmedid: 25820169.
- Kuppler K, Jeong D, Choi JW. Non-infectious cholecystopathy secondary to high-dose IL-2 cancer immunotherapy. Acta Radiol Open. 2015 Oct;4(10):2058460115579458. Pubmedid: 26576289. Pmcid: PMC4641551.
- Jeong D, Malalis C, Arrington JA, Field AS, Choi JW, Kocak M. Mean apparent diffusion coefficient values in defining radiotherapy planning target volumes in glioblastoma. Quant Imaging Med Surg. 2015 Dec;5(6):835-845. Pubmedid: 26807366. Pmcid: PMC4700247.
- Abrahams D, Jeune-Smith Y, Bode A, Baldwin M, Choi JW. Real-time ultrasound-guided needle injection of the mouse jugular vein. Curr Protoc Mouse Biol. 2014 Sep;4(3):141-150. Pubmedid: 25723964.
- Nimgaonkar A, Choi JW, Nguyen L, Triadafilopoulos G. Gastrointestinal dysmotility. Digest Dis Sci. 2012 May;57(5):1130-1133. Pubmedid: 22038542.
- Hasegawa S, Choi JW, Rao J. Single-cell detection of trans-splicing ribozyme in vivo activity. J Am Chem Soc. 2004 Jun;126(23):7158-7159. Pubmedid: 15186136.
- Choi JW, Pampeno C, Vukmanovic S, Meruelo D. Characterization of the transcriptional expression of Notch-1 signaling pathway members, Deltex and HES-1, in developing mouse thymocytes. Dev Comp Immunol. 2002 Jul;26(6):575-588. Pubmedid: 12031417.
- Pampeno CL, Vallerie AM, Choi J, Meruelo NC, Meruelo D. Genomic analysis and localization of murine Deltex, a modulator of notch activity, to mouse chromosome 5 and its human homolog to chromosome 12. DNA Cell Biol. 2001 Mar;20(3):141-148. Pubmedid: 11313017.
- Yu A, Choi J, Ohno K, Levin B, Rom WN, Meruelo D. Specific cell targeting for delivery of toxins into small-cell lung cancer using a streptavidin fusion protein complex. DNA Cell Biol. 2000 Jul;19(7):383-388. Pubmedid: 10945228.
- Zebala JA, Choi J, Barany F. Characterization of steady state, single-turnover, and binding kinetics of the TaqI restriction endonuclease. J Biol Chem. 1992 Apr;267(12):8097-8105. Pubmedid: 1569066.
- Zebala JA, Choi J, Trainor GL, Barany F. DNA recognition of base analogue and chemically modified substrates by the TaqI restriction endonuclease. J Biol Chem. 1992 Apr;267(12):8106-8116. Pubmedid: 1569067.