Find a Doctor
John Mullinax, MD
Cancer Focus: Adrenal Carcinoma, GIST (Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor) , Sarcoma
Dr. John Mullinax is an Assistant Member in the Sarcoma Department and Immunology Department of Moffitt Cancer Center and Assistant Professor in the Department of Surgery at the University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine. Dr. Mullinax is board-certified in both Surgery and Complex General Surgical Oncology by the American Board of Surgery. A native Floridian, he earned his MD degree with honors from the University of South Florida. He completed a General Surgery Residency in the Department of Surgery at the University of South Florida. He completed two fellowships: first a Surgical Oncology Fellowship at the Surgery Branch, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland and another in Complex General Surgical Oncology at Moffitt Cancer Center. Dr. Mullinax’s primary clinical focus is the surgical management of patients with soft tissue sarcoma throughout the body, to include retroperitoneal sarcoma and gastrointestinal stromal tumors. In addition to clinical duties, Dr. Mullinax has a laboratory focused on the immune response to soft tissue sarcoma. He is working to expand adoptive cell therapy to patients with advanced sarcoma. The work from his lab serves as the basis for a new trial using tumor infiltrating lymphocytes to treat adolescent and young adult patients with advanced sarcoma. He is the Associate Program Director for the Complex General Surgical Oncology fellowship at Moffitt and is the Chair of the Total Cancer Care Faculty committee. He represents the Moffitt Sarcoma Department in the international Transatlantic-Australasian Retroperitoneal Sarcoma Workgroup (TARPSWG). His research has generated awards from the Society of Immunotherapy for Cancer, the Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons, and Moffitt Cancer Center. He is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha honor medical society. Nationally, he serves on the Sarcoma Disease Site Workgroup of the Society of Surgical Oncology and the Commission on Cancer for the American College of Surgeons. He is the current Chair of the Young Fellows Association in the Florida Chapter of the American College of Surgeons.
Education & Training
- Complex General Surgical Oncology
- National Cancer Institute Surgery Branch - Surgical Oncology
- Moffitt Cancer Center - Complex General Surgical Oncology
- University of South Florida - General Surgery
- University of South Florida - General Surgery
- University of South Florida - MD
Start Year: 2007 End Year: 2007 Outstanding Surgical Student, Sponsor: Department of Surgery, University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine
Start Year: 2010 End Year: 2010 Tampa Bay Surgical Society Outstanding Resident Award, Sponsor: Department of Surgery, University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine
Start Year: 2013 End Year: 2013 Resident of the Year, Sponsor: Department of Surgery, University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine
Start Year: 2014 End Year: 2014 Resident of the Year, Sponsor: Department of Surgery, University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine
Start Year: 2015 End Year: 2015 First Place, Commission on Cancer Paper Competition, Sponsor: Florida Chapter of the American College of Surgeons
CLINICAL TRIAL 19837
Lymphodepletion Plus Adoptive Cell Therapy With High Dose IL-2 in Adolescent and Young Adult Patients with Soft Tissue Sarcoma
Intervention: IL-2 (Interleukin-2); MESNA (); TIL (); cyclophosphamide (); cytoxan (cyclophosphamide); fludarabine (Fludarabine phosphate)
CLINICAL TRIAL 19878
A Phase II Study of Talimogene Laherparepvec (T-VEC) in the Treatment of Locally Advanced Cutaneous Angiosarcoma
Intervention: Talimogene Laherparepvec (OncoVEX); Talimogene laherparepvec 10^6 PFU (Talimogene Laherparepvec); Talimogene laherparepvec 10^8 PFU (Talimogene Laherparepvec)
- Jain MD, Zhao H, Wang X, Atkins R, Menges M, Reid K, Spitler K, Faramand R, Bachmeier CA, Dean EA, Cao B, Chavez JC, Shah BD, Lazaryan A, Nishihori T, Hussaini MO, Gonzalez RJ, Mullinax JE, Rodriguez P, Conejo-Garcia J, Anasetti C, Davila ML, Locke FL. Tumor interferon signaling and suppressive myeloid cells associate with CAR T cell failure in large B cell lymphoma. Blood. 2021 Jan. Pubmedid: 33512407.
- Mullinax JE, Hall M, Beatty M, Weber AM, Sannasardo Z, Svrdlin T, Richards A, Gonzalez RJ, Cox CA, Kelley L, Mulé JJ, Sarnaik AA, Pilon-Thomas S. Expanded Tumor-infiltrating Lymphocytes From Soft Tissue Sarcoma Have Tumor-specific Function. J Immunother. 2021 Feb.44(2):63-70. Pubmedid: 33443972.
- Aydin AM, Hall M, Bunch BL, Branthoover H, Sannasardo Z, Mackay A, Beatty M, Sarnaik AA, Mullinax JE, Spiess PE, Pilon-Thomas S. Expansion of tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes (TIL) from penile cancer patients. Int Immunopharmacol. 2021 Feb.94:107481. Pubmedid: 33636562.
- Faramand R, Jain M, Staedtke V, Kotani H, Bai R, Reid K, Lee SB, Spitler K, Wang X, Cao B, Pinilla J, Lazaryan A, Khimani F, Shah B, Chavez JC, Nishihori T, Mishra A, Mullinax J, Gonzalez R, Hussaini M, Dam M, Brandjes BD, Bachmeier CA, Anasetti C, Locke FL, Davila ML. Tumor Microenvironment Composition and Severe Cytokine Release Syndrome (CRS) Influence Toxicity in Patients with Large B-Cell Lymphoma Treated with Axicabtagene Ciloleucel. Clin Cancer Res. 2020 Sep.26(18):4823-4831. Pubmedid: 32669372. Pmcid: PMC7501265.
- Broman KK, Joyce D, Binitie O, Letson GD, Gonzalez RJ, Choi J, Mullinax JE. Intraoperative Localization Using an Implanted Radar Reflector Facilitates Resection of Non-Palpable Trunk and Extremity Sarcoma. Ann Surg Oncol. 2020 Oct. Pubmedid: 33073344.
- Hagerty BL, Torres MB, Drake J, Hernandez JM, Mullinax JE, Blakely AM, Davis JL. Trends and Predictors of Failure of Minimally Invasive Surgery for Gastric GIST. J Gastrointest Surg. 2020 Oct. Pubmedid: 33057943.
- Gerhardt CA, Belzarena AC, Henderson-Jackson E, Mullinax JE, Joyce DM. Intrapelvic melanocytic schwannoma resection with computer-assisted navigation. Radiol Case Rep. 2020 Nov.15(11):2385-2390. Pubmedid: 32994847. Pmcid: PMC7516168.
- Ruff SM, Rothermel LD, Diggs LP, Wach MM, Ayabe RI, Martin SP, Boulware D, Anaya D, Davis JL, Mullinax JE, Hernandez JM. Tumor grade may be used to select patients with multifocal hepatocellular carcinoma for resection. HPB (Oxford). 2020 Jul.22(7):1004-1010. Pubmedid: 31734237. Pmcid: PMC7771330.
- Mullinax JE, Hall M, Prabhakaran S, Weber J, Khushalani N, Eroglu Z, Brohl AS, Markowitz J, Royster E, Richards A, Stark V, Zager JS, Kelley L, Cox C, Sondak VK, Mulé JJ, Pilon-Thomas S, Sarnaik AA. Combination of Ipilimumab and Adoptive Cell Therapy with Tumor-Infiltrating Lymphocytes for Patients with Metastatic Melanoma. Front Oncol. 2018 Mar.8:44. Pubmedid: 29552542. Pmcid: PMC5840208.
- Tseng WW, Tsao-Wei DD, Callegaro D, Grignani G, D'Ambrosio L, Bonvalot S, Ethun CG, Cardona K, Mullen JT, Canter RJ, Mullinax JE, Gonzalez RJ, van Coevorden F, Albertsmeier M, Dhanireddy KK, Renne SL, Gronchi A. Pancreaticoduodenectomy in the surgical management of primary retroperitoneal sarcoma. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2018 Jun.44(6):810-815. Pubmedid: 29452860.
- Li D, Mullinax JE, Aiken T, Xin H, Wiegand G, Anderson A, Thorgeirsson S, Avital I, Rudloff U. Loss of PDPK1 abrogates resistance to gemcitabine in label-retaining pancreatic cancer cells. BMC Cancer. 2018 Jul.18(1):772. Pubmedid: 30064387. Pmcid: PMC6069886.
- Poch M, Hall M, Joerger A, Kodumudi K, Beatty M, Innamarato PP, Bunch BL, Fishman MN, Zhang J, Sexton WJ, Pow-Sang JM, Gilbert SM, Spiess PE, Dhillon J, Kelley L, Mullinax J, Sarnaik AA, Pilon-Thomas S. Expansion of tumor infiltrating lymphocytes (TIL) from bladder cancer. Oncoimmunology. 2018 Jul.7(9):e1476816. Pubmedid: 30228944. Pmcid: PMC6140546.
- Straughan DM, McLoughlin KC, Mullinax JE, Marciano BE, Freeman AF, Anderson VL, Uzel G, Azoury SDC, Sorber R, Quadri HS, Malech HL, DeRavin SS, Kamal N, Koh C, Zerbe CS, Kuhns DB, Gallin JI, Heller T, Holland SM, Rudloff U. The Changing Paradigm of Management of Liver Abscesses in Chronic Granulomatous Disease. Clin Infect Dis. 2018 Apr.66(9):1427-1434. Pubmedid: 29145578. Pmcid: PMC6248449.
- Liu H, Weber A, Morse J, Kodumudi K, Scott E, Mullinax J, Sarnaik AA, Pilon-Thomas S. T cell mediated immunity after combination therapy with intralesional PV-10 and blockade of the PD-1/PD-L1 pathway in a murine melanoma model. PLoS One. 2018 Apr.13(4):e0196033. Pubmedid: 29694419. Pmcid: PMC5918896.
- Naghavi AO, Gonzalez RJ, Scott JG, Mullinax JE, Abuodeh YA, Kim Y, Binitie O, Ahmed KA, Bui MM, Saini AS, Zager JS, Biagioli MC, Letson D, Harrison LB, Fernandez DC. Implications of staged reconstruction and adjuvant brachytherapy in the treatment of recurrent soft tissue sarcoma. Brachytherapy. 2017 Jul.15(4):495-503. Pubmedid: 27180128. Pmcid: PMC7771533.
- Naghavi AO, Gonzalez RJ, Scott JG, Kim Y, Abuodeh YA, Strom TJ, Echevarria M, Mullinax JE, Ahmed KA, Harrison LB, Fernandez DC. Staged reconstruction brachytherapy has lower overall cost in recurrent soft-tissue sarcoma. J Contemp Brachytherapy. 2017 Feb.9(1):20-29. Pubmedid: 28344600. Pmcid: PMC5346606.
- O'Donoghue C, Perez MC, Mullinax JE, Hardman D, Sileno S, Naqvi SMH, Kim Y, Gonzalez RJ, Zager JS. Isolated Limb Infusion: A Single-Center Experience with Over 200 Infusions. Ann Surg Oncol. 2017 Dec.24(13):3842-3849. Pubmedid: 29019175. Pmcid: PMC7771340.
- Mullinax JE, Gonzalez RJ, Zager JS. Treatment of Soft Tissue Sarcoma: In reply to He and colleagues. J Am Coll Surg. 2017 Aug.225(2):349. Pubmedid: 28750715.
- Mullinax JE, Kroon HM, Thompson JF, Nath N, Mosca PJ, Farma JM, Bhati R, Hardmann D, Sileno S, O'Donoghue C, Perez M, Naqvi SM, Chen YA, Gonzalez RJ, Zager JS. Isolated Limb Infusion as a Limb Salvage Strategy for Locally Advanced Extremity Sarcoma. J Am Coll Surg. 2017 Apr.224(4):635-642. Pubmedid: 28214556. Pmcid: PMC7771304.
- Mullinax JE, Gonzalez RJ. Management of Truncal Sarcoma. Surg Clin N Am. 2016 Oct.96(5):1003-1013. Pubmedid: 27542639.
- Hanna C, Mullinax J, Friedman MS, Sanchez J. Jejunal diverticulosis found in a patient with long-standing pneumoperitoneum and pseudo-obstruction on imaging: a case report. Gastroenterol Rep (Oxf). 2016 Nov.4(4):337-340. Pubmedid: 26220890. Pmcid: PMC5193057.
- Xin HW, Ambe CM, Miller TC, Chen JQ, Wiegand GW, Anderson AJ, Ray S, Mullinax JE, Hari DM, Koizumi T, Godbout JD, Goldsmith PK, Stojadinovic A, Rudloff U, Thorgeirsson SS, Avital I. Liver Label Retaining Cancer Cells Are Relatively Resistant to the Reported Anti-Cancer Stem Cell Drug Metformin. J Cancer. 2016 Jun.7(9):1142-1151. Pubmedid: 27326258. Pmcid: PMC4911882.
- Rashid OM, Mullinax JE, Pimiento JM, Meredith KL, Malafa MP. Robotic Whipple Procedure for Pancreatic Cancer: The Moffitt Cancer Center Pathway. Cancer Control. 2015 Jul.22(3):340-351. Pubmedid: 26351891.
- Rudloff U, Langan RC, Mullinax JE, Beane JD, Steinberg SM, Beresnev T, Webb CC, Walker M, Toomey MA, Schrump D, Pandalai P, Stojadinovic A, Avital I. Impact of maximal cytoreductive surgery plus regional heated intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) on outcome of patients with peritoneal carcinomatosis of gastric origin: results of the GYMSSA trial. J Surg Oncol. 2014 Sep.110(3):275-284. Pubmedid: 25042700. Pmcid: PMC6301031.
- Langan RC, Gill F, Raiji MT, Mullinax JE, Pittaluga S, Pandalai P, Davis J, Perkins K, Avital I, Rudloff U. Autoimmune pancreatitis in the autoimmune lymphoproliferative syndrome (ALPS): a sheep in wolves' clothing?. Pancreas. 2013 Mar.42(2):363-366. Pubmedid: 23407489. Pmcid: PMC3573327.
- Xin HW, Ambe CM, Ray S, Kim BK, Koizumi T, Wiegand GW, Hari D, Mullinax JE, Jaiswal KR, Garfield SH, Stojadinovic A, Rudloff U, Thorgeirsson SS, Avital I. Wnt and the cancer niche: paracrine interactions with gastrointestinal cancer cells undergoing asymmetric cell division. J Cancer. 2013 Jul.4(6):447-457. Pubmedid: 23901343. Pmcid: PMC3726705.
- Xin HW, Ambe CM, Hari DM, Wiegand GW, Miller TC, Chen JQ, Anderson AJ, Ray S, Mullinax JE, Koizumi T, Langan RC, Burka D, Herrmann MA, Goldsmith PK, Stojadinovic A, Rudloff U, Thorgeirsson SS, Avital I. Label-retaining liver cancer cells are relatively resistant to sorafenib. Gut. 2013 Dec.62(12):1777-1786. Pubmedid: 23411027. Pmcid: PMC6993136.
- Langan RC, Mullinax JE, Ray S, Raiji MT, Schaub N, Xin HW, Koizumi T, Steinberg SM, Anderson A, Wiegand G, Butcher D, Anver M, Bilchik AJ, Stojadinovic A, Rudloff U, Avital I. A Pilot Study Assessing the Potential Role of non-CD133 Colorectal Cancer Stem Cells as Biomarkers. J Cancer. 2012 Oct.3:231-240. Pubmedid: 22670157. Pmcid: PMC3366478.
- Ray S, Langan RC, Mullinax JE, Koizumi T, Xin HW, Wiegand GW, Anderson AJ, Stojadinovic A, Thorgeirsson S, Rudloff U, Avital I. Establishment of human ultra-low passage colorectal cancer cell lines using spheroids from fresh surgical specimens suitable for in vitro and in vivo studies. J Cancer. 2012 Oct.3:196-206. Pubmedid: 22606209. Pmcid: PMC3354415.
- Mullinax JE, Hernandez JM, Toomey P, Villadolid D, Bowers C, Cooper J, Rosemurgy AS. Survival after pancreatectomy for pancreatic adenocarcinoma is not impacted by performance status. Am J Surg. 2012 Nov.204(5):704-708. Pubmedid: 23140830.
- Xin HW, Hari DM, Mullinax JE, Ambe CM, Koizumi T, Ray S, Anderson AJ, Wiegand GW, Garfield SH, Thorgeirsson SS, Avital I. Tumor-initiating label-retaining cancer cells in human gastrointestinal cancers undergo asymmetric cell division. Stem Cells. 2012 Apr.30(4):591-598. Pubmedid: 22331764. Pmcid: PMC3492937.
- Mullinax JE, Allins A, Avital I. Laparoscopic appendectomy for Amyand's hernia: a modern approach to a historic diagnosis. J Gastrointest Surg. 2011 Mar.15(3):533-535. Pubmedid: 21069473. Pmcid: PMC6936321.
- Mullinax JE, Zager JS, Gonzalez RJ. Current diagnosis and management of retroperitoneal sarcoma. Cancer Control. 2011 Jul.18(3):177-187. Pubmedid: 21666580.
- Clark W, Hernandez J, McKeon BA, Kahn A, Morton C, Toomey P, Mullinax J, Ross S, Rosemurgy A. Surgery residency training programmes have greater impact on outcomes after pancreaticoduodenectomy than hospital volume or surgeon frequency. HPB (Oxford). 2010 Feb.12(1):68-72. Pubmedid: 20495648. Pmcid: PMC2814407.
- Clark W, Hernandez J, McKeon B, Villadolid D, Al-Saadi S, Mullinax J, Ross SB, Rosemurgy AS. Surgical shunting versus transjugular intrahepatic portasystemic shunting for bleeding varices resulting from portal hypertension and cirrhosis: a meta-analysis. Am Surg. 2010 Aug.76(8):857-864. Pubmedid: 20726417.
- Hernandez J, Morton C, Clark W, Mullinax J, Mathur A, Marcadis A, Babel N, Ross S, Goldin S, Rosemurgy A. Pancreaticoduodenectomy for suspected periampullary cancers: the mimes of malignancy. HPB (Oxford). 2009 Nov.11(7):578-584. Pubmedid: 20495710. Pmcid: PMC2785953.
- Hernandez J, Mullinax J, Clark W, Toomey P, Villadolid D, Morton C, Ross S, Rosemurgy A. Survival after pancreaticoduodenectomy is not improved by extending resections to achieve negative margins. Ann Surg. 2009 Jul.250(1):76-80. Pubmedid: 19561479.
- Hernandez J, Cowgill SM, Al-Saadi S, Villadolid D, Ross S, Kraemer E, Shapiro M, Mullinax J, Cooper J, Goldin S, Zervos E, Rosemurgy A. An aggressive approach to extrahepatic cholangiocarcinomas is warranted: margin status does not impact survival after resection. Ann Surg Oncol. 2008 Mar.15(3):807-814. Pubmedid: 18181000.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.