Find a Doctor
John Arrington, MD
Program: Diagnostic Imaging and Interventional Radiology
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Clinical interests include imaging and response to therapy of primary and metastatic brain tumors with focus on GBMs
Education & Training
- Diagnostic Radiology
- Johns Hopkins Hospital - Neuroradiology
- University of South Florida - Diagnostic Radiology
- University of South Florida(MD, - MD)
- Glazar DJ, Grass GD, Arrington JA, Forsyth PA, Raghunand N, Yu HM, Sahebjam S, Enderling H. Tumor Volume Dynamics as an Early Biomarker for Patient-Specific Evolution of Resistance and Progression in Recurrent High-Grade Glioma. J Clin Med. 2020 Jun.9(7). Pubmedid: 32605050.
- Glitza IC, Smalley KSM, Brastianos PK, Davies MA, McCutcheon I, Liu JKC, Ahmed KA, Arrington JA, Evernden BR, Smalley I, Eroglu Z, Khushalani N, Margolin K, Kluger H, Atkins MB, Tawbi H, Boire A, Forsyth P. Leptomeningeal disease in melanoma patients: An update to treatment, challenges, and future directions. Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 2020 Jan.33(4):527-541. Pubmedid: 31916400.
- Mills MN, Figura NB, Arrington JA, Yu HM, Etame AB, Vogelbaum MA, Soliman H, Czerniecki BJ, Forsyth PA, Han HS, Ahmed KA. Management of brain metastases in breast cancer: a review of current practices and emerging treatments. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2020 Feb.180(2):279-300. Pubmedid: 32030570.
- Figura NB, Rizk VT, Armaghani AJ, Arrington JA, Etame AB, Han HS, Czerniecki BJ, Forsyth PA, Ahmed KA. Breast leptomeningeal disease: a review of current practices and updates on management. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2019 Sep.177(2):277-294. Pubmedid: 31209686.
- Arendash G, Cao C, Abulaban H, Baranowski R, Wisniewski G, Becerra L, Andel R, Lin X, Zhang X, Wittwer D, Moulton J, Arrington J, Smith A. A Clinical Trial of Transcranial Electromagnetic Treatment in Alzheimer's Disease: Cognitive Enhancement and Associated Changes in Cerebrospinal Fluid, Blood, and Brain Imaging. J Alzheimers Dis. 2019 Sep.71(1):57-82. Pubmedid: 31403948. Pmcid: PMC6839500.
- Kushchayev SV, Wiener PC, Teytelboym OM, Arrington JA, Khan M, Preul MC. Percutaneous Vertebroplasty: A History of Procedure, Technology, Culture, Specialty, and Economics. Neuroimaging Clin N Am. 2019 Nov.29(4):481-494. Pubmedid: 31677725.
- Stringfield O, Arrington JA, Johnston SK, Rognin NG, Peeri NC, Balagurunathan Y, Jackson PR, Clark-Swanson KR, Swanson KR, Egan KM, Gatenby RA, Raghunand N. Multiparameter MRI Predictors of Long-Term Survival in Glioblastoma Multiforme. Tomography. 2019 Mar.5(1):135-144. Pubmedid: 30854451. Pmcid: PMC6403044.
- Figura NB, Potluri TK, Mohammadi H, Oliver DE, Arrington JA, Robinson TJ, Etame AB, Tran ND, Liu JK, Soliman H, Forsyth PA, Sahebjam S, Yu HM, Han HS, Ahmed KA. CDK 4/6 inhibitors and stereotactic radiation in the management of hormone receptor positive breast cancer brain metastases. J Neurooncol. 2019 Aug.144(3):583-589. Pubmedid: 31399935.
- Ahmed KA, Scott JG, Arrington JA, Naghavi AO, Grass GD, Perez BA, Caudell JJ, Berglund AE, Welsh EA, Eschrich SA, Dilling TJ, Torres-Roca JF. Radiosensitivity of Lung Metastases by Primary Histology and Implications for Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy Using the Genomically Adjusted Radiation Dose. J Thorac Oncol. 2018 Aug;13(8):1121-1127. Pubmedid: 29733909.
- Ahmed KA, Kim S, Arrington J, Naghavi AO, Dilling TJ, Creelan BC, Antonia SJ, Caudell JJ, Harrison LB, Sahebjam S, Gray JE, Etame AB, Johnstone PA, Yu M, Perez BA. Outcomes targeting the PD-1/PD-L1 axis in conjunction with stereotactic radiation for patients with non-small cell lung cancer brain metastases. J Neurooncol. 2017 Jun.133(2):331-338. Pubmedid: 28466250.
- Arrington JA, Klippenstein DL, Gatenby RA. Innovations in Diagnostic Imaging and the Transformation of the Clinical Practice of Radiology in Collaborative, Multidisciplinary Cancer Care. Cancer Control. 2017 Apr;24(2):115-117. Pubmedid: 28441378.
- Sahebjam S, Stallworth DG, Mokhtari S, Tran ND, Arrington JA. Assessing Response of High-Grade Gliomas to Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors. Cancer Control. 2017 Apr;24(2):180-186. Pubmedid: 28441372.
- Gage KL, Thomas K, Jeong D, Stallworth DG, Arrington JA. Multimodal Imaging of Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Cancer Control. 2017 Apr;24(2):172-179. Pubmedid: 28441371.
- Ahmed KA, Abuodeh YA, Echevarria MI, Arrington JA, Stallworth DG, Hogue C, Naghavi AO, Kim S, Kim Y, Patel BG, Sarangkasiri S, Johnstone PA, Sahebjam S, Khushalani NI, Forsyth PA, Harrison LB, Yu M, Etame AB, Caudell JJ. Clinical outcomes of melanoma brain metastases treated with stereotactic radiosurgery and anti-PD-1 therapy, anti-CTLA-4 therapy, BRAF/MEK inhibitors, BRAF inhibitor, or conventional chemotherapy. Ann Oncol. 2016 Dec.27(12):2288-2294. Pubmedid: 27637745.
- Wagner A, Murtagh F, Arrington J, Stallworth D. Relationship of Schmorl's nodes to vertebral body endplate fractures and acute endplate disk extrusions. Ajnr Am J Neuroradiol. 2000 Feb;21(2):276-281. Pubmedid: 10696008.
- Gosche K, Velthuizen R, Murtagh F, Arrington J, Gross W, Mortimer J, Clarke L. Automated quantification of brain resonance image hyperintensitites using hybrid clustering and knowledge-based methods. Int J Imag Sci. 1999 May;10(3):287-293.
- Arrington J, Smith R. Managed care clinical corner: a closer look at lower back pain. Am J Man Care. 1998;4(6):875-879. Pubmedid: noPMID.
- Esposito MB, Arrington JA, Murtagh FR, Ridley MB, Endicott JN, Silbiger ML. Anterior approach for CT-guided biopsy of skull base and parapharyngeal space lesions. J Comput Assist Tomo. 1996 Sep.20(5):739-741. Pubmedid: 8797904.
- Murtagh F, Phuphanich S, Iman N, Clarke L, Greenberg H, Arrington J. Novel Methods of Evaluating the Growth Response Patterns of Treated Brain Tumors. Cancer Control. 1995 Jul.2(4):293-299. Pubmedid: 10862168.
- Greenfield GB, Arrington JA. Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Soft Tissue Tumors. Cancer Control. 1994 Nov.1(6):581-585. Pubmedid: 10887010.
- Greenfield G, Arrington J. Magnetic resonance imaging of soft tissue tumors. Cancer Control. 1994;1:581-585.
- Greenfield G, Arrington J, Kudryk B. MRI of soft tissue tumors. Skeletal Radiol. 1993;22:77-84.
- Clarke L, Velthuizen R, Phuphanich S, Schellenberg J, Arrington J, Silbiger M. MRI: stability of three supervised segmentation techniques. Magn Reson Imaging. 1993;11(1):95-106.
- Murtagh FR, Arrington JA. Computer tomographically guided discography as a determinant of normal disc level before fusion. Spine. 1992 Jul;17(7):826-830. Pubmedid: 1502648.
- Murtagh F, Arrington J. Computer tomographically guided discography as a determinant of normal disc level before fusion. Spine. 1992;17(7):826-830.
- Zinreich SJ, Kennedy DW, Kumar AJ, Rosenbaum AE, Arrington JA, Johns ME. MR imaging of normal nasal cycle: comparison with sinus pathology. J Comput Assist Tomo. 1988 Nov.12(6):1014-1019. Pubmedid: 3183103.
- Nokes SR, Martinez CR, Arrington JA, Dauito R. Significance of vaginal air on computed tomography. J Comput Assist Tomo. 1986 Nov.10(6):997-999. Pubmedid: 3782571.
- Arrington JA, Murtagh FR, Silbiger ML, Rechtine GR, Nokes SR. Magnetic resonance imaging of postdiscogram discitis and osteomyelitis in the lumbar spine: case report. J Fla Med Assoc. 1986 Mar;73(3):192-194. Pubmedid: 3701296.
- Arrington J. Imaging of the upper airways and sinuses. In: Diagnostic testing of allergic disease. New York, NY: Marcel Dekker, Inc.; 2000;263-286.
- Arrington J, Linden C, Murtagh F. The central nervous system. In: Oncologic imaging: a clinical perspective. The Mcgraw Hill Companies; 1998;7-78.
- Arrington J, Greenfield G. Greenfield G, Arrington J, eds. Imaging of Bone Tumors - A Multimodality Approach. Philadelphia, PA: J.B. Lippincott Company; 1995;1-492.
- Harris E, Lafond G, Arrington J, Berman C, Brodsky N. The head and neck. In: Oncologic Imaging: a clinical perspective. The McGraw Hill Companies; 1998;79-118.
- Ruckdeschel J, Patterson S, Cuthbertson D, Murtagh F, Arrington J. 1997.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.